X

1100 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 katana

hello,i was just wanting to know what happened to the 1100 kats?how long did they make them?how do or did they compare to the supersportbikes?how much more did they cost then the 750's.is there any plan that you know of the 1100 making a come back?thanks

This may help some http://www.katanacentral.co.uk/histo...natimeline.asp
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

In the US, they stopped offering them in mid '92. The engine did go on with some slight modifications to power the Bandit 1200's.

As to whether they will come back, no clue, although Suzuki has been flashing about their stratosphere concept bike, which places an 1100cc 6-cylinder into something that looks like an update on the original Kat design (questionable whether it will ever see prodution, but normally they don't road-test concept bikes and there is road-test video I posted in one of the threads below). See related threads:

and
      http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11974 (with pics)
      and
      http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13991 (more pics, video)

One thing of note: there would be no way to get the oil filter off without dropping the headers on the 6-cylinder.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mojoe can personally vouge for them still being a great bike to ride today

Comment

I had a 1988 Kat 1100. Iwish I kept it. That is O.K. My 2000 Kat 750 does everything I need!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
            Mojoe can personally vouge for them still being a great bike to ride today
            Hell ya. I am still riding the beast. And CP...it was 93, not 92 that they stopped producing them for north america. There are "claims" of some 94's making it here, but no parts dealer list them and I have never seen one.

The GSX1100F katana is as follows

88 is the J model, 89 is K, 90 is L, 91 is M, 92 is N and 93 is P.
            88 had a shaft drive version. 88 also has a shorter wheelbase which didn't
            handle as well as it should have, so they extended it in 89 and it stayed the same until 97. Europe and Asia had them available in years 94 to 97 and didn't change at all except for the color schemes.

It a great bike. I love it. I did toss around the idea of selling it a few times, but it is long since payed for and and still runs strong, so I don't see the point in it.

[img][/img]
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

great looking bike.how did the price compare to the 750?

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                great looking bike.how did the price compare to the 750?
                I bought my 92 in 93 with 7000kms on it...or about 4200 miles. I paid $7000 CDN otd with a 3pc givi luggage, a technic 2pc leather suit, boots, gloves and an arai helment. I rode that one up until 03 and put about 250k kms on it....or about 150k miles...without once ever having to open up the engine.

I paid $3500 for the 93 you see in the pic. This is my 3rd year with it. It only has 45k kms on it...or about 25k miles.

I have no idea how it compared to the 750. At that time 750 was consindered too small by me......as it is today. I don't think I could cope with the drop in hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  I bought my 92 in 93 with 7000kms on it...or about 4200 miles. I paid $7000 CDN otd with a 3pc givi luggage, a technic 2pc leather suit, boots, gloves and an arai helment. I rode that one up until 03 and put about 250k kms on it....or about 150k miles...without once ever having to open up the engine.
                  (tongue-in-cheek -- kinda)
                  Including not opening up to do simple things like valve adjustments.

I have no idea how it compared to the 750. At that time 750 was consindered too small by me......as it is today. I don't think I could cope with the drop in hp.
                  Size queen alert! Size queen alert!

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    (tongue-in-cheek -- kinda)
                    Including not opening up to do simple things like valve adjustments.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I hate to admit it...but you're right. well....almost. in 250k kms, I had them adjusted twice. i neglected the shit out of it, and rode it as hard as one possibly can without blowing the engine...and the sucker was still running quite strong when I tore it down. albiet a little smoke. I always had to stay at the rear of the pack or the guys behind me would get smoked.

Comment

Re: 1100 katana

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                      hello,i was just wanting to know what happened to the 1100 kats?how long did they make them?how do or did they compare to the supersportbikes?how much more did they cost then the 750's.is there any plan that you know of the 1100 making a come back?thanks

They're still around.
                      They just found another 200cc's in the basement and "evolved" a little bit

sigpic

Comment

actually tdr is right. the 1100 kat once held the position simialr to the busa. i think it was 88 or 89.....the fastest production bike at the time. the busa is the closest relative to that era kat. looks fast...is fast....but made for the long haul.

Comment

actually tdr is right. the 1100 kat once held the position simialr to the busa. i think it was 88 or 89.....the fastest production bike at the time. the busa is the closest relative to that era kat. looks fast...is fast....but made for the long haul.

Hey Mojoe,
                          Southland has a black & silver '02 with 3200 miles on it, totally stock and clean. Dude traded it in on a VStrom1000. $7100.
                          Get yer butt out here!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                            '02 with 3200 miles on it, totally stock and clean. Dude traded it in on a VStrom1000.
                            Makes me wonder why he traded....
                            hmmm...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              Originally posted by tdrcomm
                              '02 with 3200 miles on it, totally stock and clean. Dude traded it in on a VStrom1000.
                              Makes me wonder why he traded....
                              hmmm...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Aaron at Southland said he was an older guy with a couple of adult sons that had dual-sports and he wanted to ride with them more. He liked the touring but wanted company along the way.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X