New gas with Ethanol.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New gas with Ethanol.

Figure I might as well ask here.

According to Suzuki, Kats and most any other bike should only be run with a max of 10% of this stuff, However here in the northeast, we were on a winter blend which allows it to go to 12%. No one has been able to give me any information regarding what type of damage the higher ethanol rate is doing to my engine. According to the Suzuki dealer near me, they are recommending using 93 octane and 115 octane blended. We have a local dealer that sells the 115 octane. Their recommendation is to use 4 gallons of 93 with 1/2 gallon of 115. At 6 dollars plus a gallon LOL I am glad to not want to fill up on it <g>

Anyhow, Since the "new" gas has been intro'd to the area, I've noticed a definate change in performance and tone of the exhaust. The exhaust sounds weird.. sorta like watery. Its a V&N exhaust 4 to 1

Tho the bike still does run fine, I cant say I havent started seeing some effects from the new gas on physical parts. Namedly I installed twin fuel filters off the tank and they are now stained orange inside. I've put on about 4,000 miles on the newer 12% gas. Also I thought maybe the problem might be in the carbs, Junk in the jets ect, When I disassembled the carbs, the floats were also stained orange. Even the floats are now stained orange.There was very little junk in the bowls which was nice, but I did notice deteriation of the orings on the floats and other parts. the rubber seems to be getting eaten by it.

I'm probably going to get aggreviated enough soon and rip apart the carbs once again and just replace all the orings just because I didnt like the way they were looking prior. Does anyone know what damage higher then recommended Ethanol rates are doing to other parts both in the carbs and in the internal parts on the motor? (i.e. Valves ect)? I know the new gas is literally breaking down all the junk in the gas stations gas tanks and sending it through the nozzels. Older stations are the ones I avoid due to the junk coming out of them. If they arent changing their filters regularly, I dont go there also.

I'm also wondering if the new gas is wearing on the jets. I've heard Honda is no longer covering certian damage due to the ethanol, but that might be a rumor, I dont have a Honda, So I didnt pay too much attention.

Just seeing if others are seeing simular things.
    Paul
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Cyyyber?!?!?!??!

Comment

as far as the wearing on the jets, I don't think it would be a problem. IT isn't that corrosive to eat the brass away.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
      X