New owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner

Just bought a 89 gsx1100f.
    Trying to get it running.I've worked on bikes before mostly old goldwings.
    So you'll have to excuse some of my ignorance to these bikes.
    The bike cranks but doesn't start.The p.o. said he thought it needed coils.I started tearing it apart today to get at things,boy what a mess.
    All the electrical connections are corroded, especially in the area around the battery,there was no vent hose attached or present.First problem went to pull the tank,there's no way to adjust the petcock couldn't even see it till I lifted up the tank.
    Second problem I measured for voltage at the coils pulled the wires off and one wire on each coil is dead the other has 10 volts, probably voltage lost with all the bad connections everywhere.So the I pulled the connections out of the igniter box they looked terrible,rust and corrosion.Looks like I have my work cut out for me.I'm going to take some pics tomorrow and post them.If this forum is like the goldwing forum I belong to Im sure i'll be able to find enough info and help here too!!!
    Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Welcome to katriders... Used to custom dress the goldwings back in the day, when goldwings didn't come dressed.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Sup dude! You're going to need 11v at the coils. If you want a temporary fix till you get the wiring sorted, try the coil relay mod. Took me about an hour to hook up one, if you only had 1 bad point, it would probably take an hour to find and fix the bad wire/connection. But if all the wiring is knackered might be better to temporarily rig this up.

Also, there is a petcock - it's only got 2 positions and can only be adjusted using a screw driver. It's not a normal turn it with your hand petcock. The 2 positions are prime and on. Kind of annoying to not have either an "off" or a "reserve" option, but c'est la vie.

Welcome to KR, great community around the parts. Check out the 1100 subsection, there's some great build threads and useful info.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR. Good luck with the trouble shooting.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks guy's.As I said I've got my work cut out for me.I'm gonna start with the wire-connector cleanup first.This bike must have set outside alot for these connections to be this corroded.The coil relay mod may be in my future!!
              Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Comment

Good luck with the bike.

Comment

Welcome mate to the site

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Yes, you certainly did find the right place for good info on the Katana. (Good info is always better than guesses and opinions so often expressed on some other sites). Welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X