X

Ethanol-free gas from airports

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol-free gas from airports

Has anyone ever explored the option of getting ethanol-free gas at airports? Aviation gas comes in a few different grades (one of which has lead in it) but all of which are, by FAA mandate, ethanol-free and very strictly specified. The most common grade is 100LL (100 octane, low lead) which we wouldn't want to use due to the lead. The information I have is spotty, but some plane owners convert their planes to run on lead-free automotive gas, which as far as I can tell is the same stuff you get at the gas station except that the FAA still won't let you run ethanol- so there is perhaps a source of nice, ethanol free gas at local airports to be had. Has anyone looked into this before?
    1988 Katana 600 / GSX600F

Haven't really looked into it. But seems it'd be more of a pain than a blessing. Riding around town I wouldn't wanna go outta the way to stop at an airport to fill up. And going on road trips you will have to really plan out your trip in detail, as well as contacting the airports along your path to see if they will even allow you to fill up.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah, that is certainly true. It would be a pain for sure. If there's no ethanol-free gas in your area, though, it could be an option. It'd be nice to have complete control over your fuel supply if you've been having problems with it. I could see someone who has cleaned out their carbs five times due to ethanol being willing to keep a drum of airport-sourced gas in their garage to fill up from at home.

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Haven't really looked into it. But seems it'd be more of a pain than a blessing. Riding around town I wouldn't wanna go outta the way to stop at an airport to fill up. And going on road trips you will have to really plan out your trip in detail, as well as contacting the airports along your path to see if they will even allow you to fill up.

Comment

Even if I were willing, I aint got room in the garage lol
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

down here there is at least one BP station that offers ethanol free fuel. I don't really notice that much of a difference except it runs slightly smoother...for ~$0.10 more. There is 100 octane without lead (green color) but that's harder to find.
          "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

I just found out that one of our two local stations is all ethanol-free. According to the owner, all Sinclair stations are ethanol-free (except where the state requires E10, I imagine).

Comment

Working...
            X