New 'Tuna guy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 'Tuna guy

Hi all,
    I gave up riding around 5 years ago - even gave my primary bike to my stepson in an attempt to divest myself of at least one bike.

A few months ago I got the itch again and after considering pretty much everything from old exotics to something brand new, settled on an 03 600 Katana. I've always had some fascination with 'Tunas since I like well rounded bikes and Love the old GSXR engine.

It had suspiciously low milage (611), but for the price I figured it would be OK; nearly new, yet old fashioned enough to not require computers and software to work on.

Riding it reminded me of how much I must really like 600s and found the comfort, power and handling more than satisfactory for my purposes.

Unfortunately, I gotta open it up to replace a snapped cam chain, and also attempt to address any errant maintenance it seems to have perpetrated upon it.

Regardless, I expect to thoroughly enjoy this machine.

Ride free!

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR! good luck with the rebuild
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders...
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Wrench on ...

Comment

Yes, welcome and good luck with your rebuild.
                2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Thanks again; engine is apart and a list is begun.
                  I think it's going to ugly (money wise). It seems a cam sprocket bolt fell out and found its way in between the chain and crank. The crank has two broken teeth where the cam chain runs, and those are forged as part of the crank.
                  Gonna dig my old 750 race motor out of the shed and see if anything will be able to work.

Comment

Welcome. Good luck.
                    2000 Kat 600

Comment

OUCH! Good luck with it.
                      2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                      2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                      1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                      1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                      1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Just get a good used motor. You'll end up spending 3x+ what a used one would cost you.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

It could very well...A new crank alone is $772 from Ron Ayers. That's the biggie, but I just took a look at my '90 GSXR engine and it seems to have the same primary gear, so perhaps that'll do the trick. Somebody posted a link in thread - "butt load of information" and I gotta go re-read it to make sure there aren't any gotchas.

I know you might be wondering why I simply don't bolt that one in, but it's got high compression pistons and I want to be able to use pump gas. It also never liked the tranny much, but it was a junkyard motor I bought 20 years ago so I wouldn't have to hot rod the one in my '87 when I was running in WERA vintage.

The tranny in this 600 Tuna is pretty sweet, so barring any latent issues with the cases, I'd just as soon stick with that one. I do, however, intend to use the intake cam out of my '90 which appears to be one from an '88. An extra mm of lift! Doesn't appear to have more duration, but I can only measure and compare them until I can find complete specs for Tuna cams.

Comment

That info is in the wiki or search for cam spec
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I took your advice, thanks, but I was unable to find anything on the main wiki page regarding cam specs, just an article on overlap.

I did find the post addressing cams and their swappage, but the chart only lists the cam height; nothing regarding duration except some mention of the early cams having less of it.

I'm not too worried - it'll either run well or it won't. I can always go back to the stockers.

If memory serves, I originally attempted to use both the intake and exhaust cams from an '88 in my '90 motor, but found myself chasing my tail on jetting. overscavenging was suspected, so I swapped the exhaust back to stock. The engine was completely transformed and tuned up nicely. This intake cam might end up being a bit radical for a 600, but like I say, I can throw the stock one back in. The exhausts appear to be the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X