Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My -93 600 didnt start this morning. Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My -93 600 didnt start this morning. Help!

I did a quick search for other threads with no start problems, but I found no good input.

Anyhow, this morning getting ready for work the bike didnt start.
    Plugs have 2000km on them (2 months), air filter is not that new.
    Oil/filter replacement at the same time as the plugs.

The last couple of days it have been somewhat hard to start, like an hour after shutdown. It had troubles to run the first seconds, bad respons on throttle but after some high reving it acted normally. I thought it had to do with the humid and warm weather we are having here.

But when cold, it would start normally. Or just a couple of minutes after running.

When I tried to start it this morning it sounded like it ignited on a few cylinders but died. And in desperation I tried to start it by running.
    Only thing that got me was some paint going to hell when I dropped it on its right.

What can have happened? It was standing outside, and it was quite bad weather with rain and strong winds. I will try starting it again after work, if not I'm going to transport it home and removing the plugs and so on.

Anything else I should check? typical no start problems?

Please help, my bike is my only was of transportation at this time.

Thanks!

start with the battery. If the battery doesn't have 12 volts or higher then it will not start. recharge the battery and check for voltage draw. connect a volt meter to it then turn the key on, it should not drop in voltage more than one volt. if it drops below 10 volts the battery is no good. I must add, after or during riding yesterday did you notice a bad smell coming from the bike? if so the battery is shot.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      start with the battery. If the battery doesn't have 12 volts or higher then it will not start. recharge the battery and check for voltage draw. connect a volt meter to it then turn the key on, it should not drop in voltage more than one volt. if it drops below 10 volts the battery is no good. I must add, after or during riding yesterday did you notice a bad smell coming from the bike? if so the battery is shot.
      Good idea, I have thought of buying a new battery because the old one looks _really_ old. Even though it cranks it feels weak. Guess the spark is to weak to fire up good! Thanks a lot!

Comment

By the way, anyone know the millimeter dimensions of the battery?
        I left the bike at my girlfriends home, and she drove me to work. And by the time I get to the bike after work all stores have closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbrorn
          By the way, anyone know the millimeter dimensions of the battery?
          I left the bike at my girlfriends home, and she drove me to work. And by the time I get to the bike after work all stores have closed.
          just take the old one in with you. it is the responsible thing to do anyway cuz they can properly dispose of it instead of tossing it in the garbage where it can contribute to lead in landfills. They can match you up with the original.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks again for the great tip, I bought a new battery and before putting in the replacement I measured the old one. It dropped, as you said it could below 10V while cranking. Strange though, the bike started right after replacing the battery. And it would have started with the old one too if I would have wanted. Anyhow, got it running but I didn't take it for a ride, went to sleep, and this morning - No start. Same as before, it fired up an got up to maybe 1000rpm, and then died. After that, no sign of any cylinder firing even once. The starter sounds much more strong and fast now with the new battery. But it makes no difference.

Could I be having a classic wire harness failure? I tried contact spray in the OFF/RUN button and flipping the switch like 50 times to be sure it haven't been causing the problems.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? As I mentioned when I made this thread it have been very humid and quite cold with strong winds these last days. And the bike have been standing outdoors. Any classic possible points in the harness that could have gone bad?

I have not checked the fuses yet, because I have no tools at my girlfriends place. But I don't believe that it could have something to do with it, when it cranks and fire up for a brief moment. Then nothing.

Any ideas, any thoughts, please make an input. Need to get it working or I have to look for a crappy car to drive to work.

Comment

What are you doing with the choke lever when starting?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                What are you doing with the choke lever when starting?
                This morning I set it to full choke and tried, started for a sec and died. Tried a couple of times more before I was convinced it wouldn't start. With or without choke, with some throtte and without. Tried the fuel lever on RES, ON and PRI. Checked fuel manually, more than half full. Either the engine is getting no fuel, or there is no or weak spark. But why now?

Comment

Now that you have a known good battery, you can start some electrical test. Make sure the battery has a full charge. Get your manual out and start a igniton, starter and charging system test. If all of these show nothing unusual then the issue is in the carbs.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Now that you have a known good battery, you can start some electrical test. Make sure the battery has a full charge. Get your manual out and start a igniton, starter and charging system test. If all of these show nothing unusual then the issue is in the carbs.
                    By manual you mean the original manual? I've got the haynes service manual, but not the Suzuki bike manual? Do you know if it exists in .pdf or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X