X

1100 Kat After Mothers Polish Part Two

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 Kat After Mothers Polish Part Two

Hi to all in Katland. Thank you for viewing and your comments on my Baby in an earlier post, yeah she's now an inviting mature model rather than the high maintenance sporty young thing she was in 1982, though just like Sophia Loren she still turns heads!

In my previous post with this pic when I mentioned the Kat was pretty close to original I should have also mentioned she is a genuine (100 series VIN) Aussie model 1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Kat. The first WW 1100S Kats were imported into Australia from June 1981 through to Oct 1982 with the cast wheel 1100 models imported from April 1981 through to late 1985.

My Kat as presented in the pic here is un-restored, un-molested, no bog, no repairs, and with its original 19" front and 18" rear Takasago alloy rims. Some of the other original Suzi parts on this Kat are the 1982 hand grips and bar weights, original full size rear fender, clocks and screen, cowl, chain guard with decal. Speaking of decals the Aussie 1100 Kat was never fitted with the Anti-Dive decal on the front forks, not an issue here just info for interest.
    I have kept the chain in 630 and still buy front and rear genuine sprockets from Suzuki, I have found the genuine sprockets last longer and are not that much dearer than aftermarket items. Original centre stand has been retained, the exhaust system is not the original system however, it is a new one from Suzuki and is a genuine 1982 Kat 1100S system. I sourced the system from Japan and I have been told there are few if any remaining complete exhaust systems in Suzuki stock. The original seat was in a pretty sad state after 28 years of constant use so a replacement original seat was found (thanks Scott) and fitted. Except for one thing, every other part on this Kat is an original Suzi OEM item as fitted to the Aussie model 1982 GSX1100SXZ Katana including the odd looking small mud flap fitted to the front fender. So what part is not original? The spokes have been replaced with stainless steel items as the finish on genuine spokes degrade after a few years and no amount of cleaning or polishing will improve them. So I must confess it is not 100% original as the spokes have been replaced with non genuine Suzuki spokes but, they are the only non OEM items fitted. And now that I have filed off the casting marks and polished the swing arm to remove years of battery acid marks from the pivot point it is not 100% original in finish. The side covers and forks are also polished as the clear finish coat originally applied by Suzuki has long disappeared after many years of use (170,000km and counting) and washing, again not 100% original but helps to keep her looking tidy!

I would like to clarify the following points raised on the previous post regarding Oz model OEM parts to help with the identification of non US and European model Kats.
    a) The Aussie Wire Wheel 1100 Kat was a limited version of under 1000 units.
    b) Aussie Kats (WW and cast wheel) were never fitted with side reflectors.
    c) There is no cover missing near the rear brake reservoir.
    d) The Aussie Kat was fitted with a genuine front fender mounted mud flap.

There is much debate in some circles about the GSX1100SXZ being a genuine Suzuki designated model and being so rare even in the three markets it was exported to; Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. After almost 30 years memories tend to fade and some knowledge gets a little rusty so it’s no surprise people may question its authenticity. However, Suzuki does provide the documentation to confirm the GSX1100SXZ was and is one of their most amazing creations and deserves its place as a model that challenged the bike designs of the day and though not liked by many and loved by a few it is still a great ride even now. I have owned this Kat for 25 years and I still smile every time I take the Kat out and there are few things in the world that can be relied upon to provide that level of joy and thrills for close to 30 years, we’re talkin’ motorbikes here remember!

Thank you to the folks here that provided their input to the Kat debate on the previous post and your efforts to support the validity of the WW model Kat. Yes, there are different models other than the ones imported to the USA, Canada and Europe, strange but true!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM.
    82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
    Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

very impressive. I am quite jealous of that beautiful machine you have. Very informative and interesting little write up with it as well.

Comment

Hi lanerw, thanks for the kind words about the Kat. If the "Part Two" post here sounds odd, by viewing the "1982 1100 Kat After Mothers Polish" posted on the forum it will give you a better idea on where this one is coming from. If we share the knowledge about our Kats and help each other when we can its all for the better. Glad to see the post had some interest for you, cheers.
      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM.
      82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
      Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

Comment

lookin' great. going to have to dig mine out and get her back into pristine condition as well. she has just been sitting there for the last 3 or 4 years.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
        X