No announcement yet.
X

SWINGARM SWAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well its not a direct fit but the 03-04 ninja zx6rr swingarm is only 1/2 more narrow than the stock kat one. I will know what exactly has to be done once i get it in the next week or so
    Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKatnWV
      Well its not a direct fit but the 03-04 ninja zx6rr swingarm is only 1/2 more narrow than the stock kat one. I will know what exactly has to be done once i get it in the next week or so
      ok, dann will keep this threat in mind than
      1990 600 kat on going projectNow with zxr 750 frontend

Comment

Originally posted by tylerc
        I don't think that brake arm brace sees a horrible amount of load, but I am no engineer.

So how wide is the gsxr wheel?

care to elaborate on what exact bearings you used as well as what spacers?

also, can't exacly visualize what you are talking about here:
        "mill some material off the katana brake arm to get the caliper to align with the rotor"

I know a lot of people would be interested in this swap if it was wider then the 98+ wheel (for looks)

-Tyler
        I went to a local bearing supplier, at the time it was in Lafayette IN and we measured the id of the kat bearing and the OD of the GSXR bearings and he had some so just had to put those in the GSXR wheel and carrier. And sorry I didnt mean the brake arm, I meant the support bracket that goes from the axle upto the caliper, where it bolts to that, I shaved some of it off the bracket so that the caliper moved outward from the center of the wheel, so that it centered the rotor in the caliper again, dont have to be exact as the caliper will adjust for any small difference. I dont remember how much it was about .125 maybe, any machine shop can do this for cheap, I had access to a mill so done it myself. and the spacer on the brake side is the one I had to shorten, again just have to see how much I dont remember how much, and as far as the brake arm weakening, I never had a problem, the thing is already bent from the factory, and you arent going to load it that much, the tire will lock up under hard braking before you put alot of force on it. Thats it new bearings, shave the caliper mount bracket where it bolts on, cut down the spacer and bend the brake arm, and a 17x5.5 gsxr wheel is in there.

Comment

I must bump this for those who are new to site that are asking questions about swingarms!

This is the best information you can get. Of course any thing will work depending how much work you can and want to do!
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

so let me get this straight, you can put the gsxr 5.5 rim on the 600 with just different bearings, i take it using the kat spacers? some one should do a how-to on this, and make a parts needed list

Comment

Can Anyone help!! ( i have a question)

DO i have to change out the swing arm and do all types of metal work to change out the tail end of my 1994 Katana 600.....on craigslist here in Atlanta someone is selling a tail end from a 03 honda CBR ( http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/528143186.html ) for $50 which is a great price IF i could use it at all. I don't really THINK i need to get as technical as changing out the swing arm to get what i want..and what i want is to trim away some fat. I've noticed that my kat's fairrings are designed to hide the suspension and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just wonder how i can go about trimming away some of that extra plastic to give the bike a more stream lined look...without buying or building a whole new bike lol. Basically im just trying to get the "know how" to do these kind of things myself.
              I like'em naked!!

Comment

Well a subframe isnt that difficult to construct, like above have said, measuring is a key into your swap. using the subframe from a cbr will cause you to bolt on the frame rather than weld it (cant weld alum to steel) but your going to have to make steel mounting points for the sbfm, fairly easy. still needing a welder. no the swing arm does not need to be swapped or modified to construct a sbfm, but making sure when building or bolting on a different sbfm that you make room for the swing arm to travel.

Comment

to swap on a diff tail is abit of work. You have to make new mount points for the new subframe or have a shop completel build a subframe for you.
                  Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Working...
                  X