X

Removing fairings and cowl

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing fairings and cowl

I just read the Removing fairings and cowl thread in the FAQ which is great and i couldn't reply there so i had to post here with my question.

I removed the fairing last week with no problems except when reinstalling it i couldn't work out how to set the rubber grommet/washer or whatever into the front of the fairing next to the windshield.

I had to try and pull it out of the fairing bolt hole with a sharp screwdriver turning it around the hole that wasn't easy and this took more time to do than any of the process involved of removing or installing the fairing.

Looking at the picture also it shows these rubbers on the headlight cover that mine doesn't have which i am guessing now it should have.

Any easy way of pulling the rubber back through or pushing it back in or whatever am doing wrong???

IO can post a pic if required if i have lost you all

Nick

I read it and am a little confused. A pic would help.
    "Do not look to deeply into anything I say, I'm a very shallow person."

Comment

Here's a picture from the original post that shows the screws.

The rubber is inserted into the windshield and acts as a washer on the fairing which is where i have troubles pulling the rubber washer part through the fairing hole.

I tried installing the fairing and then pushing the rubber through the fairing and the windshield but to no success.

Comment

thats how you do it, install everything then push the rubber through. I'm a Suzuki mechanic, we used to get our new bikes on crates and we had to assemble them from crated to showroom ready. I was the new guy so I had to do that. Now we have a company that does that Anyway, I've done that a million times, assemble all the parts and then push the rubber though, you'll be able to figure that out, it isn't rocket surgery If anything, put vasoline on the rubber that will make it slide a hell of a lot easier.
        Last edited by arsenic; 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks arsenic

I tried pushing them through with some silicon spray but they needed some force and still wouldn't go and i didn't want to put any more pressure on them and i thought there was another way.

I'll try this time with the vas

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Twist them (spin) as your pushing them in, they will go in.

Sorry, I guess I left that part out of the how to
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

for the upper two rubber inserts I screw the bolt in a little then push them in seems to keep the rubber a little more rigid to insert.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll give it a try

Comment

Working...
                X