X

Theft rate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft rate

One of the things that scared me about buying an expensive bike was those commercials from LoJack et al about motorcycle theft. I'm sure it works, but what's the relative theft rate on the Katana anyway? Is there a big black market for stock Kat parts? I don't plan on upgrading much.

Should I really worry about this? I have comprehensive coverage on it already which covers theft (I think). The guy at the dealer said that the biggest problem is usually kids trying to crack into the ignition.

I see that there's a sticky thread about preventing theft. I'm just wondering if anybody knows the actual stats or has any actual experience with this.

Thanks!

MM

I chain all my high dollar items( motorcycles , lawn mowers ect. ) when I am not on them. IT is a deterrent, The bible speaks alot about the thief, so I try to slow down slickyboy! I also believe in my 3.5" 12g magnum shotgun.

Comment

Most of the bike thefts are for the race bikes or for the high dollar bikes like Harleys.

An occasional Kat will get stolen for the joyride, because it was there.

Crooks aren't looking for Kats. Another nice bonus of owning one
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

I leave most of my stuff unlocked most of the time. If somebody needs something bad enough to steel it, then I would gladly give it to them. It's only stuff, and most of it's insured.

I really don't think the theft rate is that high on the Kats as it is so rock solid mechanically and they don't really attract the stunters, so the market for big parts isn't nearly as big as it would be for say... a GSXR or Hog. That is not saying that they don't get stolen, but it seems to be at a much lower rate. If you are that worried about it and will be storing it outside, then pick up one of CyberPoet's anchors.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Motormike View Post
          One of the things that scared me about buying an expensive bike was those commercials from LoJack et al about motorcycle theft. I'm sure it works, but what's the relative theft rate on the Katana anyway? Is there a big black market for stock Kat parts? I don't plan on upgrading much.

Should I really worry about this? I have comprehensive coverage on it already which covers theft (I think). The guy at the dealer said that the biggest problem is usually kids trying to crack into the ignition.

I see that there's a sticky thread about preventing theft. I'm just wondering if anybody knows the actual stats or has any actual experience with this.

Thanks!

MM
          Which dealership are you talking to? Most of them in this area are all morons.

You can't prevent anything from getting stolen if someone wants it badly enough.... all you can really do is make it harder for them to steal it, and therefore less attractive.

If you don't have a closed storage area, get a cover and keep the bike covered. Fork lock/disc locks are okay... but if someone wants it badly enought they'll just pick it up and move it. Your best bet is to chain the bike to something... preferably big and heavy or immobile.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You want to know what the theft rate is for your area, call your local PD's public affairs office. They'll spit out numbers on request. But, yes, a kat (esp. used) is generally a much lower-profile target than any race bike, in part because it reduces the types of people who want to steal it (generally eliminates the stunter crowd looking for repair/replacement parts, as well as the "order takers" who are the high-end pro's).

As for LoJack: unless their system has changed, the police department needs lojack receivers to trace a stolen vehicle. Not an issue in most heavy urban areas in the NE, but won't do you a lick of good in many truly rural areas (nor in any theft-ring that effectively has faraday cages, such as box-trucks with metal walls/floor/roof and no windows). There is a competing system to LoJack that uses cell networks to trace your bike (basically like putting a phone on the bike); their servers contact the bike every so often to figure out where it is, and it reports back. The advantage of this system is that you can have the service set up to call you if the bike moves outside a specific area/location during specific times of the day, and you can locate the bike at any point from a web-interface. The downside is that if cell coverage isn't available, the system breaks down.

The main tactic, as others have pointed out, is to make your bike an unattractive target by forcing them to expend a lot of energy to get it -- and if parked outside, the first step in that process is to lock it to something that can't be removed/breached or removed/breached readilly (telephone pole, permanent anchor, etc.) with some form of chain/cable/lock that's going to take a pro quite some time to pick/cut-through. The Brits have a "Gold Secure" rating for locks & chains that means it will take at least 5 minutes for someone to get through without power-tools.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 11-30-2007, 11:48 AM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              You can't prevent anything from getting stolen if someone wants it badly enough.... all you can really do is make it harder for them to steal it, and therefore less attractive.
              I beg to differ. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to get at my stuff.

First they would have to get through the main door without tripping the alarm. then they would have to make it to the other end of the building through a section with several motion detectors, then get through another door that is my shop. And if they have the intention of taking my bike(s), they have to get the loading bay door open without setting off that alarm.
              And if they do set off the alarm, it signals at ADT and the RCMP office is like 5 minutes from me. I know it doesn't take long for them to get there because I set it off once when I first started renting there, and could not remember the code to shut it off.

my bikes are 100% secure when they are not in use.......but when they are out on the street, well....that's a different story.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Motorcycle theft is a big problem in San Francisco and other bigger cities here, I think a combo of a whole lot of motorcycles around and lot of unsavory people . But spending time in SF recently, I saw a TON of bikes, since they have dedicated motorcycle parking, and most were of the POS/rat bike variety, very few GSXRs/hogs the types you'd think would be likely stolen.

A lot of riders here have ratbikes they take to work and have a "nice" ride for the weekends. I'm not too worried about my Kat here, mainly for what others have said, not much demand and its damn near 500lbs! I use a standard disk lock when I park. But all that does is make it harder. Its just what everyone says, if they want it bad enough... thats why I have insurance.

But when i was in SF last weekend, I did see a pre 98 yellow kat with a blue screen parked in the same motorcycle parking alley 2 days in a row! I think the blue windscreen was the deterent
                2001 Katana 600

Comment

A police officer recently told me that sportbikes are more popular for thefts than Harleys even if they aren't as expensive. This is [supposedly] because they're extremely light (350-500 pounds) and can be tossed in the back of a truck or van by two men in the blink of an eye and driven out of the area quickly, whereas an 800-pounds HD takes a lot more muscle and time.
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                    I beg to differ. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to get at my stuff.

First they would have to get through the main door without tripping the alarm. then they would have to make it to the other end of the building through a section with several motion detectors, then get through another door that is my shop. And if they have the intention of taking my bike(s), they have to get the loading bay door open without setting off that alarm.
                    And if they do set off the alarm, it signals at ADT and the RCMP office is like 5 minutes from me. I know it doesn't take long for them to get there because I set it off once when I first started renting there, and could not remember the code to shut it off.

my bikes are 100% secure when they are not in use.......but when they are out on the street, well....that's a different story.
                    Nothing is 100% secure.... if they know where it is, and they want it... they'll get it.

The Honda dealership around the corner had a break in a few weeks ago.... but all they took was a busted dirt bike with a bent crank. They still made off with something... even if one of the CBRs on the display stand was only secured with tie straps.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Nothing is 100% secure.... if they know where it is, and they want it... they'll get it.

The Honda dealership around the corner had a break in a few weeks ago.... but all they took was a busted dirt bike with a bent crank. They still made off with something... even if one of the CBRs on the display stand was only secured with tie straps.
                      and I am betting they had just one door to get through, and it obviously set off an alarm so that they didn't have any time to grab anything but some junk.

nope.....I still say I am 100% safe. before they even make it to MY door, alarms would already be tripped. they would have about enough time to see that I have two locks, and would likely just say "damn", and then have to hoof it out of there before getting caught.

Comment

2 people, I'm pretty sure they can pick up something and get out within 5 minutes. That is unless you have a silent alarm and they don't know that they set it off.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I agree nothing is 100% secure. If they really wanted it they can get it. The object is to make it difficult enough so that the effort and cost involved in getting away with it is not worth the item.

Comment

well I know that in the past my landlord told me 3 attempts were made to break in the building where I am, and all 3 times they never got past the front door. His tool room is double locked, as is the office, and they never made it that far. One of his employees lives across the street and can hear the alarm. the landlord himself is only 3-4 minutes away, with a special ringtone that rings his phone if the alarm goes off, plus ADT immediately dispatches the police, which happen to be the RCMP.

So if you wish to insist that nothing is 100% secure....well, I can't really argue with you because neither side has any real way to prove the other wrong.
                            But I will say that I feel 100% confident that NO ONE will get one of my bikes out of my shop without being seen at the bare minimum. And IF they do get it out of my shop, they still need to get the double locked, alarm activated bay door open, AND the gate to get off the property.

The only way it can be done is to bypass the alarm....and all I can say is good luck to that.
                            You have to remember something here....my shop is a shop within a shop. they have to get totally past one secure obstacle, and then tackle my security. It just ain't going to happen.

In fact, I will personally give anyone here $1000 cash if they can so much as make off with a screwdriver from my shop. yes....call that a challenge.

HOWEVER....it is like tzortn says......it can be done I suppose. but no one is likely to put the effort into it for my few bikes. it just wouldn't be worth the effort.....which in turn actually makes my bikes 100% secure
                            Last edited by Mojoe; 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I will say this.. If someone wants your bike they will get it. You are forgetting one thing. It is a motorcycle. Just because it is 99% secure 9 months a year at your home, does not mean it secure. If someone wants your bike bad enough they will stalk you and learn you. I have seen it done, and we as riders tend to notice it but dont think nothing of it until its too late. A friends bike got stolen one day (mid day, sun was out..) she ketp her bike secure at home. Very secure.. including dog that watched over it. ther person who stole the bike walked past the home two to three times a day. (noted by police and other witnesses) .. Im just saying be careful becasue they took my friends bike within 3 minutes after she got off it. She got off the bike walked in the mall. The truck pulled up, two men loaded the bike, they drove to the end of the parking lot.. And got pulled over as they turned onto the street. Security cameras caught everything. Crazy.. very crazy
                              Some people grow big and tall and some stay the same... My 600 grew 527cc's by high school and stayed the same size. He use to get bullied by a few people:

Jigzer and Shrad were brothers
                              Charlie Brown Rodjers also known as CBR
                              Kall Asaki from Japan

I'm not a racer but at a stop light Jigzer pulled up and so did Shrad. They reved their engines....
                              The light changes to green light so we ride...
                              Then they read my license plate and it says
                              " KATchup "

Comment

Working...
                              X