Do I really need a valve adjustment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need a valve adjustment?

Hello all,

Thanks for the site! I have spent the last 3 nights, just searching, reading and learning, but still had questions that I hope you can clear up.

First of all, the bike is a 2003 Kat 600, 23,000km with no maintenance history. Seemed to run well when I got it (great when warm) and have since changed the oil & filter, plugs and air filter. Problem is, that after buying the bike/tires and safety, money is tight and I need to know if I really need a valve adjustment ASAP, or if it can be put off for a few weeks.

The problem is that when I start the bike, there is a knock in the engine at low idle when the engine is cold. It disappears under higher rpm revs and after about a 7-8 min ride. Then the bike idles and sounds great. There never seems to be a problem with acceleration.

I know that the valves should be checked and probably adjusted, but I must take it to my local dealer and would like to put it off for a couple of months if possible. I am hesitant to open up the engine myself although I have downloaded the manual.

The bike runs great, it is just that initial knock that bothers me. It that the Kat's nature, or is that an overdue valve adjustment? Also, it only like to start with the choke off and a twist of the wrist. Will not start with full choke either until I give it a shot of gas?

Sorry for the long post. It is a new bike and I don't know all it's proper sounds yet and do not want to drive it, if there is a chance I could damage it.

What would be the first signs that you need a valve adjustment?

Thanks
    jokerz73

is it a hard knock like you thumbing the the table wih your fist or more of a light tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap till its warm ?????

Comment

It is not a very loud knock, more of a slight metal tapping sound and I did not notice it at first when I bought it. But now that I am getting used to it's sounds, I notice that it sounds better at idle after a 10-15 minute warm up ride.

Thanks

Comment

you could bend a valve if you are not careful.keep the oil clean.after starting it up let some oil get moving before you twist the grip(to warm up)

Comment

Valve adjustment isn't hard..
          How handy are you?
          Used to be the valve clearance shim was part of
          the tool kit..

Comment

I have an older bike (1990) 750 kat. Owned it for three years and i have no idea what was ever done to it. had it in a shop and was told that the slight tapping is the nature of the beast . my bike seems to run strong and no one ever recommended doing valve adjustment. The noise goes away just like the way you described yours.

Comment

Joker, go scribble down the VIN and then call all the dealers within a half-hour's ride of the seller's house -- you might be able to pull up the service history, which could mean much more piece of mind.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm having this same problem, except it seems a bit more extreme than jokerz. I actually have to start the bike a couple times before it stays going. Even after getting home last, it just seems like it isn't running right.

I replaced the spark plugs and checked the fuel filter and air filter. The number 2 spark plug looked a bit darker (toward black, not brown) than the others, but didn't seem too bad.

We've recently had some really hot weather here too, and with traffic, the inside of my thighs have gotten a little toasted.

I did recently switch gases, from Costco gas (which I thought was 93, but I am not sure) to mainly Chevron (91).

Any thoughts other than the valve adjustment? The bike has 12700 miles and I've had it for about 3k and not done anything more to the engine than change the oil.

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Valve adjustment isn't hard..
                How handy are you?
                How hard is it on a '95 600 with California emissions stuff? I replaced the spark plugs this last weekend and it took me a while to get in there with all the hoses in the way.

How long should it take me? Considering I am a basic DYIer that can follow directions, and even figure it out when the directions don't include specifics on things like unscrewing some emissions module, separating hoses, and using a pair of pliars to be able to reach them.
                1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

Well if you decide to do a vavle adjustment and you want to buy the tool to do it I made some that I am selling.

Comment

I was anti-valve adjustment for the simple reason that I felt it was Suzuki's way of trying to gouge more $$$$ from scared owners. But then came along Cyber and, coupled with many years of motorcycle wisdom, he graciously decided to assist me with the adjustment (and carb. synch).

I can honestly say that I noticed a substantial difference in performance and improved fuel mileage since the adjustment.

Oh, my Kat makes the same tapping noise for about the first minute or so. I am now in the habit to hit my 2,000 RPM target when starting and hold it there for 30 seconds.

Comment

Mine is makeing a slight click for about 3 seconds..
                      It actually sounds like a spark plug..
                      I think its that the tappets are starved
                      (the sound is from the right)
                      It has been so hot I bet the oil drains like water
                      from the right side when I park it.

Comment

Yea, I agree. I have an 02 Kat 600 and just had the valves adjusted and carbs sync'd. I thought that the slight ticking was the valves, but my dealer said that it is normal for the Kat's. I do notice an improvement in performance after having the valves adjusted. Can't hurt.

Comment

what about that harder knock(like thumbing the table with your fist)?i to am scheduled for valvle adj. just had carbs cleaned and sync'd

Comment

well if its a harder knock or tapping could be a few things valves or camchain tensioner is going bad could also be piston slap too if the motors got quit a few miles on it but the bad part about your carb sync is its gonna need to be redone again after adjusting the valves or it should be done again

Comment

bummer should've done them at the same time, i was gonna but decided not to 400$ more. its got 12,200 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X