No announcement yet.
X

My 82 Kat 750 resto mod thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Waltari. I went with the zrx shocks because of cost. I even contacted Rob for shock mounts for the Kat shocks and was going to send him an email to buy them but went this way.

Here is some more stuff:

Cut and polished my body by hand and here are some shots.

This was wet sanded down starting with 2000 then 2500 because the clear was pretty good.

This is the first hand buffing with Meguiars Ultimate compound (UC). It similiar to Meguairs M105 pro stuff but easier to get. I did try my 3M and I did tried Presta Ultra cutting creme but they did not seem to work as good as the Meguiars stuff.

This the forth buffing with UC

Now, I used Meguiars scratch X (#1). They do not make it any more but you can still fine if you keep your eye open. They now have ScratchX2 which is actually more agressive but as not aggressive as UC.

This is twice with ScratchX

After scratchX, I actually hit it with Meguairs No.09 which is in their pro-line. It a swirl remover and polish. I then hit it a Meguiars Polish (yes, this is overkill with the polish but what the hey)

I did this with every piece to get it really smooth. After all this, this found out Meguiars makes 4 inch pads to do this......which would have been great for the tank.

Comment

Yeah, we're putting the ZRX shocks on my clients bike for the same reason. I welded up the arm a while back and machined the bushings. We're fitting a 5.5" five spoke R1 rim onto his arm and a matching R1 five spoker up front. Forks are 2007 Bandit 1250 with an earlier model bandit 1200 fender. Tank is getting the same fuel filler welding treatment I did to my bike and some aftermarket gauges. We're going a bit more traditional on the bodywork...silver with custom logos. Have to say, your paint job is looking great! Look forward to seeing it all back together.

Comment

Matt, I need to send you a tank & GSXR opening to do the mod for me. How much to do it & how long? Thanks, Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
          Yeah, we're putting the ZRX shocks on my clients bike for the same reason. I welded up the arm a while back and machined the bushings. We're fitting a 5.5" five spoke R1 rim onto his arm and a matching R1 five spoker up front. Forks are 2007 Bandit 1250 with an earlier model bandit 1200 fender. Tank is getting the same fuel filler welding treatment I did to my bike and some aftermarket gauges. We're going a bit more traditional on the bodywork...silver with custom logos. Have to say, your paint job is looking great! Look forward to seeing it all back together.
          Sound like a cool project. If I was a welder, I would have stolen your tank idea in a heart beat.

I am hoping to get the most of the chassis worked out by summer ends and then start working on the motor. I am playing with idea of getting a 'street' kit (ssr1168) from gszone since the motor is out already but I am just toying with it.

Comment

Very nice job on the polishing. I think I`ll have to find some of the Meguiers 4" polishing wheels, I bet your hands get tired.
            1986 VF1000R
            1986 VF1000R
            1984 VF1000F
            1983 CB1100F
            1983 GS1100S Katana

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
            though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
            neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
            that knows not victory nor defeat."

Comment

Originally posted by vf1000rs View Post
              Very nice job on the polishing. I think I`ll have to find some of the Meguiers 4" polishing wheels, I bet your hands get tired.
              Ya, my hands and forearms were dying from it all. There are still some small 'scratches' but once the bike is together, I will hit with the 4 inch pads and see if they come out.

Comment

Some more work done on the Kat:

The shock mounts were welded on but I need to get new upper shock mounts made and welded as the shocks were pigeon toed. And now the upper part of the shock is half on the threads. Hence, the levels in the photo:

If I had not offset the bottom mounts by 5mm, it would have be okay. Oh well, I am learning... The piece of metal on the left side mount is for the chain guard to attach to.

Some stops for the brake carrier as I am using a 93 GSXR setup.

Steering stops on the CBR 929 tree.

To check the wheel spacers: I decided to try the string method. I was able to go through the frame as I had no engine. And I measured the string at all four points on the rear rim to make sure it was the same height.

Yes, the CBR tree are painted now.

I checked and doubled checked to make sure the string was not touching anything and was straight and leveled. I then measure the front rim at two point on each side. I got 26mm on the left side and 23 on the right. So, it is out by 3 mm which should be find as factories are happy with 5mm or so.

After, checking the spacers I found out that the B12 and 93 Gsxr rear uses the same spacers. Works for me.

After this, I was able to install some Race tech 1kg spring in the fork. That was a pain. I have done a few spring swaps but the GSXR was the most pain in the butt so far with its spacer and all.

This is the contraption that I setup to compress the 1kg spring with a large spacer.

Next step is to get the upper mounts taken care of....and the chassis is almost done...except for the paint etc,etc etc,

Comment

I truly can't wait to see the final product. Great work!!!!
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Looks like a very cool project! I really am digging the new paint scheme.
                    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
                    2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
                    1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

Sometimes life just keeps on getting in the way.

I had my frame at a machine shop for four months and nothing was done. It was the machinist fault but the shop's. I won't get into it here.

I needed to get custom sleeves made to mate the zrx 14mm upper brushing with the 12mm stud on the frame and to allow me to square up the shocks as the frames studs were not long enough for my setup.

Last week, I dropped my frame and shock off at a guys house who is a retired machinist. And I got the frame and sleeves back within two days and picked it up last night.

Here they are.

It head is a 12 point and 24mm. It gives it a nice finish but can be easily rounded if you are not careful. They are also stepped inside to mate with the stud

The duct tape and 'L' is help to separate them as I had to cut one side with a 3/8 die because it was stripped.

I had a custom spacer made as well that is stepped to mate perfectly with the stud part that is welded to the frame. This way washer can sit flat against it.

Finally, I can have the shocks squared up as my main issue was I could not before.

And there is room for 3 (1-2mm) washers. The machinist did not have my swing arm to make the spacers 'perfect'.

And I met this guy by chance. He bought a front wheel race stand from me a while ago. He is currently restoring a 37 Royal Enfield 500cc.

Comment

what a build.
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          what a build.
                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X