X

AFX/HJC Helmets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFX/HJC Helmets

I just bought a HJC CS-12 Echo and also i got my wife the AFX FX-96...does anyone know about these brands and how comfortable they are. mine are still in the mail
    06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

I got both AFX 10 & HJC AC11. Both are Good, not the best but not the worst either. AFX was my first lid and used it for a season with no problems. I like my HJC better coz it has the nose guard thing that prevents your shield from fogging.

BTW, I just saw the new AFX 30 in the magazine and it looks nice

PAUL
    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

I dont know what the street helmets are like - but after riding with my icon helmet I cant stand my mx helmet (hjc). I'm gonna have to go spend some money again once I start riding the damn thing. (assuming i ever get it out of the garage)
      97 Katana 600
      [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

I have a HKC helmet as a backup and it is nice.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I am on my 3rd HJC and am pretty happy with them all so far (latest one is the carbon which I haven't really tested out much yet...can't wait). They seem to make good helmets for a good price. I am sure there are much better out there but you will have to pay for it.

Comment

How much is your skull worth? $29.95 or $400?

IMHO...you get what you pay for.

Did you manage to try one on before buying? Different brands fit different shapes of heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
              How much is your skull worth? $29.95 or $400?

IMHO...you get what you pay for.

Did you manage to try one on before buying? Different brands fit different shapes of heads.
              I agree with you to a certain point on your arguement...Can you get a $250 helmet for $50.00?? Can a $50.00 helmet protect you as much as a $400 helmet?? If you believe the report last year from Motorcyclist Magazine then maybe they have a point...in the US motorcycle helmets are required to be DOT approved. No one check this out but they have certain specs that they must adhere to when making a helmet...So basically if you have a $300.00 helmet and a $29.95 helmet both DOT approved they "should" protect you equally?? Same goes if the helmet is DOT and Snell approved then if it is $29.95 or $400 it should protect equally...what it the extra cost??? Comfort, Shell Material, Visor, Graphics, Padding, etc..other than that both helmets should protect equally...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

The wife and I both have HJC CL-15s, and we like them.
                Check out Motojour.com.

Red is the fastest color!

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                  ...So basically if you have a $300.00 helmet and a $29.95 helmet both DOT approved they "should" protect you equally?? Same goes if the helmet is DOT and Snell approved then if it is $29.95 or $400 it should protect equally...what it the extra cost??? Comfort, Shell Material, Visor, Graphics, Padding, etc..other than that both helmets should protect equally...
                  I agree.

However, it's like buying a brand new house. There are standards in place that builders must adhere to in order for the house to "pass inspection" and able to be sold to a prospected home buyer.
                  These standards are simply MINIMAL guidelines that must be followed by the builder. Can he use better supplies and better materials when building a house? Sure he can, but he's going to charge you more.

DOT and SNELL are also only minimal guidelines that must be followed when creating a helmet.

Does Shoei and Arai use better materials than HJC and KBC? Not sure. Maybe. If you go to a dealer and pick up a HJC in your left hand and then grab a Shoei with your right...what's the difference? First thing you'll notice is the weight difference between the two helmets.So my first reaction would be that they use different materials. Are they better materials? Again, not sure, but they are different.

Are most moto racers using Shoei, Arai and Shark because they are better quality? Or simply because they look cooler and match their bike? I would hope their advisors know which helmet is better and tell them which one to wear. Or maybe it's their sponsor and they have no choice. Again, who knows.

Again, this is an age old debate. Cheap vs. Ungodly Expensive...Which is BETTER?

For me, it all boils down to...

1. Is it comfortable?
                  2. Does it fit my head PROPERLY?
                  3. Does it have proper venting
                  4. Am I comfortable spending this much money on something that protects my tiny brain?
                  5. Does it match my bike?

Comment

4. Am I comfortable spending this much money on something that protects my tiny brain?

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                      Originally posted by Jax
                      ...So basically if you have a $300.00 helmet and a $29.95 helmet both DOT approved they "should" protect you equally?? Same goes if the helmet is DOT and Snell approved then if it is $29.95 or $400 it should protect equally...what it the extra cost??? Comfort, Shell Material, Visor, Graphics, Padding, etc..other than that both helmets should protect equally...
                      I agree.

However, it's like buying a brand new house. There are standards in place that builders must adhere to in order for the house to "pass inspection" and able to be sold to a prospected home buyer.
                      These standards are simply MINIMAL guidelines that must be followed by the builder. Can he use better supplies and better materials when building a house? Sure he can, but he's going to charge you more.

DOT and SNELL are also only minimal guidelines that must be followed when creating a helmet.

Does Shoei and Arai use better materials than HJC and KBC? Not sure. Maybe. If you go to a dealer and pick up a HJC in your left hand and then grab a Shoei with your right...what's the difference? First thing you'll notice is the weight difference between the two helmets.So my first reaction would be that they use different materials. Are they better materials? Again, not sure, but they are different.

Are most moto racers using Shoei, Arai and Shark because they are better quality? Or simply because they look cooler and match their bike? I would hope their advisors know which helmet is better and tell them which one to wear. Or maybe it's their sponsor and they have no choice. Again, who knows.

Again, this is an age old debate. Cheap vs. Ungodly Expensive...Which is BETTER?

For me, it all boils down to...

1. Is it comfortable?
                      2. Does it fit my head PROPERLY?
                      3. Does it have proper venting
                      5. Does it match my bike?
                      Absolutely agree!! I can't add anymore because you covered it so well...
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

[quote="Junior"]How much is your skull worth? $29.95 or $400?

IMHO...you get what you pay for...quote]

Oh, contrair, monseur. Look for just 5 letters... SNELL. I got it on my $70 KBC lid.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I've got a HJC CL-14 with a silver mirror visor.
                          It's my first helmet so I can't compare with other brands, but for me it's good..

Comment

I go back to my motocross example - that helmet seemed just fine - dot and snell....but I can tell you I aint gonna be wearin it very long....not just comfort - I've noticed how thin the shell is - how the padding just doesnt quite fit right.....beleive me - there is a massive difference.
                            97 Katana 600
                            [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

3 HJC AC-11's. I just picked up my last HJC for $60 (brand new) and was surprised it came with the breathing guard.

Now, I'm off to find 2 more breathing guards.

I'm fairly happy with my AC-11's.

Comment

Working...
                              X