Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is a Suzuki Katana considered a sport bike or is it more of a cruiser?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another one for you. If you take an original Kat, paint it a different color, remove all the decals and badges it would still be instantly identifiable as a Katana unlike like the wannabe Kats that came after.
    As you can see I have owned and ridden an original since 1983 and it is still going strong. Talk about bullet proof engines and it was the super bike of it's time!! There is no way that it can compare with modern day bikes but it still is a bundle of laughs and fun to ride.
    Sorry if I piss anyone off but there it is!!

Take care out there,

Mel
    MelWain

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
      What does the GSX define? Or what would classify an engine as a GSX? Just curious for my own knowledge.
      GS = Gran Sport

X = designation given to inline 4cyl engines with 4 valves per cylinder.

R = Racing

F = Faired (has fairings)
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

vintage Kats may not be in the modern class but, they would out last a modern bike.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          vintage Kats may not be in the modern class but, they would out last a modern bike.
          if you mean modern in the last 10 years or so. aside from my 83 1100 kat, I have owned a few 88-93 1100 kats, and one of them I managed to put on 220k+ kms. the 1127's are bullet proof.

Comment

yes, even the last 15 years. I know many who swear by their ss bikes, only to hardly ride them due to repairs or maintenance down time.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              GS = Gran Sport

R = Racing

thanks! I was pretty close in my assumptions!
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

hey Krey...disregard my previous comment, and my apologies. my comments were out of line for this thread. I do however, stand behind my feelings...more like impressions, actually, and much of it based on experience, that there is a lot of "posting in the wrong section", in this section. add that to the fact that when I was dealing parts, I was also dealing with a whole lot of "sticker bike" (don't really know what else to call them) 600 and 750 kat owners who were getting "mixed up" in just what I specialized in, even though I tried to make it as clear as possible. and to be honest, I felt a few could put a little more effort into doing their homework.

I guess what I am trying to say is that when "noobs" decide they have a question to ask, and it is so "simple" that there is a chance he will have more questions to ask, then I guess I would just rather see them ask if anyone has any good links that gives a lot of info on the subject. it's as you "insinuate", Krey...the question doesn't even make sense, at least not for this section and vintage kats. it's these kind of question that trigger my snarky attitude. so, my apologies if I rubbed anyone the wrong way.
                I get the rub, and understand their is more behind the reply than just who posted. I totally understand pet peaves like posting in the wrong section.

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                What does the GSX define? Or what would classify an engine as a GSX? Just curious for my own knowledge.
                GS = Gran Sport

R = Racing

I remember a few prior conversations along this line where there was multiple examples of the designations just not really following any sense at all from Suzuki. What I mean, is that their does not appear to be any really hard specific rules for the designations, and that alot of it really is just "made up" by some executive in an office cause they think it sounds good.

What Mike posted is a good rule of thumb, but unfortunately suzuki did not follow those designations for all bikes. A specific example that relates to this thread and it's original posting location of the vintage forum....

If truely following the rule of thumb, these would have been GSX750S... as they use the 16 valve TSCC engines very similiar to the current versions. They did not though.

Add to that models like the GSX250E around 1980 which only had 2 cyclinders and of course the various oil cooled vs water cooled diffrences as well...

Anyways, it gets complicated...

I agree with Mike that his posting is probably the best rule of thumb on trying to make sense of it. Just gotta keep in mind that even Suzuki didn't allways follow their own designations so there are some odd balls out there.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  yes, even the last 15 years. I know many who swear by their ss bikes, only to hardly ride them due to repairs or maintenance down time.
                  They're doing it wrong if thats the case.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ok.... I found the pic I was looking for. A KR member posted this once...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      I agree with Mike that his posting is probably the best rule of thumb on trying to make sense of it. Just gotta keep in mind that even Suzuki didn't allways follow their own designations so there are some odd balls out there.

Krey
                      ya...Suzuki really doesn't show a solid pattern with the branding of their bikes. also, I would not bet my life on the designations I posted.

for example, the X has also been referred to as "eXperimental", and was rumored to be designated to any bike they might consider as a track bike. although I really have my doubts about that. I have heard more often the X is designated to the 4cly/4valve engine.

it's kind of like Honda's CB series of bikes. I had a guy argue up and down with me that it meant "closed body", as in fully faired. he happened to own a cbr 600 hurricane at the time, so he just assumed or heard it meant "closed body racer". it took a while for me to convince him that it was false, seeing as just as many, if not more of the CB's had no fairing at all. but the fact of the matter is that CB is just Honda's designation for it's inline 4's, or that seems to be the general consensus anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        Ok.... I found the pic I was looking for. A KR member posted this once...

I just have to say... I freaking love the looks of these bikes.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          I just have to say... I freaking love the looks of these bikes.

Krey
                          I totally agree Were those fairings in the pic I posted an OEM option or did they not import the models into North America?
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I totally agree Were those fairings in the pic I posted an OEM option or did they not import the models into North America?
                            I am under the impression that there was an aftermarket company that offered the full fairing look.

Found this pic for a larger view...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

yes, they were an option. I almost bought a set. there was some guy on lespac.com that had a set for sale and I got all psyched up when I saw them. he wanted $400 for them, and seeing as they are so rare, I figured they were worth it.

that is until I got to his place and saw them up close on the bike. let's just say my first impression wasn't "wow". it was more like, "hmmm, not so sure I like it". after about 5 minutes of staring at it and pondering it over, my impression turned to, "nope, not for me". I am not saying it was ugly or anything, but it wasn't the kat I fell in love with. I will take my ol' skool kats "sans fairings", please.

even looking at the pic Krey just posted, I can't say I am a fan. I just find it looks "odd". I definitely prefer the look without the fairings. and that was why the guy was selling them....he didn't like it either. like me, he saw them for sale and thought they would look cool, but realized after that he didn't care for it, hence his reason for selling them.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

A couple more pics...

And a just recently missed ebay auction..

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X