X

Interchangeable post wheels for pre

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable post wheels for pre

Ok so I know that bandit wheels and some SV wheels are the same but what years would I be looking at that are the same as the 98/02 wheels.. I'm assuming the same years right? And is there like any other bike wheels that'll swap in with the right spacers and stuff. Has anyone attempted to use something off other brand of bikes?
    A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him.

Originally posted by cafewithballz View Post
    Ok so I know that bandit wheels and some SV wheels are the same but what years would I be looking at that are the same as the 98/02 wheels.. I'm assuming the same years right? And is there like any other bike wheels that'll swap in with the right spacers and stuff. Has anyone attempted to use something off other brand of bikes?

The same?

I'm gonna simplify a bit, but...

Pre and post kat rear wheels will swap between the 2 all years, both use a 17mm axle designed OEM.

Pre and post kat 98-02 front wheels will swap. If your putting the post wheel on the pre you need to do about a 1mm spacer on either side to prevent calipers from rubbing the wheel spokes, but it's all easily workable. Both use a 15mm axle OEM design.

Any rear wheel that has a 20mm or larger OEM axle will have a hub that is 3/4" aprox wider than the kat wheels. Not a "direct swapable" wheel.

Now, your asking specifically what other bikes use the Post 98-02 kat wheels right? None.

The bikes you listed do not match up to the post kat with out modifications or custom parts.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Keep in mind that pre wheels have narrower rims than post wbeels. That's why 98-02 wheels are such a popular thing to put on pre bikes.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Keep in mind that pre wheels have narrower rims than post wbeels. That's why 98-02 wheels are such a popular thing to put on pre bikes.
        that I know bill lol This is why I'm asking about the wheels, still buying parts and stuff for the winter. I remember reading something about the 98-02 wheels swapping right over with shims but I was'nt sure if the bandit and SV were using the exact same wheels "kinda widening my search rang" as for the swap tho Krey you're saying that post years straight spoke rear wheels use the same OEM axle.. That's all years weather it's 98 or 06'? The other ? About wheels was't really just about the zuki's, I was asking if anyone attempted to use other bike wheels ie Yamaha,kawa's race wheels or even wire spoked wheels from like the BMW.

Comment

SV650 and Bandit 600 rear wheel does work. The b12 won't work. I would have to assume that any other manufacturer wheel would take more effort than it is worth when there are so many options with what Suzuki has.
          Just like the post to pre, the SV and Bandit front will take some shimming and I think the rotors have to be changed out.
          I suppose the question should be, why do you want to make a change? Is it the tire sizes?
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

that I know bill lol This is why I'm asking about the wheels, still buying parts and stuff for the winter. I remember reading something about the 98-02 wheels swapping right over with shims but I was'nt sure if the bandit and SV were using the exact same wheels "kinda widening my search rang" as for the swap tho Krey you're saying that post years straight spoke rear wheels use the same OEM axle.. That's all years weather it's 98 or 06'? The other ? About wheels was't really just about the zuki's, I was asking if anyone attempted to use other bike wheels ie Yamaha,kawa's race wheels or even wire spoked wheels from like the BMW.

Yes, all Katana 88-06 models use the same rear axle size, 17mm. The swingarm spacing is so close between all years, it's really not an issue to do the swap at all (there are slight variances, but they are small).

Bandit and SV rear wheels are much wider at the hubs and use larger axles (20mm +). There have been a few people who do things like swap bearings (need a custom spacer between the wheel bearings made to do it right) or shave/shim spacers and the caliper bracket to try and shoe horn the wheel into the kat arm. I don't like or recomend those methods, and have found it's much much easier and cheaper to modify the swingarm.

I've done alot of wheel comparison for suzuki wheels that use a similiar design to the kat wheels. I have not looked at other manufacture wheel unless it was to go with their swingarms or forks as well (a fully swap around setup).

I could probably write a 15 page 10k word write up about the many different zuki wheels and their variances/differences and how to make them work on a katana, as well as my research methods in determining possible compatabilty... but I don't wanna spend that much time on it.

I think the simpler question is... What do you want to do?

krey

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
            SV650 and Bandit 600 rear wheel does work. The b12 won't work. I would have to assume that any other manufacturer wheel would take more effort than it is worth when there are so many options with what Suzuki has.
            Just like the post to pre, the SV and Bandit front will take some shimming and I think the rotors have to be changed out.
            I suppose the question should be, why do you want to make a change? Is it the tire sizes?

Any zuki wheel can work, but the sv and bandit wheels are much wider than the Kat wheels (by 3/4") and modification is needed to make them work. The mods needed to make the rim fit for these wheels is exactly the same for the b12 wheel at the axle (wheel hub is the same width for all 3 wheels). The b12 is a 5.5 wide rim though (vs 4.5 for the other wheels) and so if you run a full size tire on it (180), you need additional clearance for the tire vs the swingarm... unless your extending the arm, as that automatically will give clearance.

The post kat wheel to pre swingarm takes no mods with use of the pre kat external spacers, and a 160 tire.

Krey
            Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Yes, all Katana 88-06 models use the same rear axle size, 17mm. The swingarm spacing is so close between all years, it's really not an issue to do the swap at all (there are slight variances, but they are small).

Bandit and SV rear wheels are much wider at the hubs and use larger axles (20mm +). There have been a few people who do things like swap bearings (need a custom spacer between the wheel bearings made to do it right) or shave/shim spacers and the caliper bracket to try and shoe horn the wheel into the kat arm. I don't like or recomend those methods, and have found it's much much easier and cheaper to modify the swingarm.

I've done alot of wheel comparison for suzuki wheels that use a similiar design to the kat wheels. I have not looked at other manufacture wheel unless it was to go with their swingarms or forks as well (a fully swap around setup).

I could probably write a 15 page 10k word write up about the many different zuki wheels and their variances/differences and how to make them work on a katana, as well as my research methods in determining possible compatabilty... but I don't wanna spend that much time on it.

krey

Any zuki wheel can work, but the sv and bandit wheels are much wider than the Kat wheels (by 3/4") and modification is needed to make them work. The mods needed to make the rim fit for these wheels is exactly the same for the b12 wheel at the axle (wheel hub is the same width for all 3 wheels). The b12 is a 5.5 wide rim though (vs 4.5 for the other wheels) and so if you run a full size tire on it (180), you need additional clearance for the tire vs the swingarm... unless your extending the arm, as that automatically will give clearance.

The post kat wheel to pre swingarm takes no mods with use of the pre kat external spacers, and a 160 tire.

Krey
              The Bandit 600 and SV650 are 160 rear tires.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

The Bandit 600 and SV650 are 160 rear tires.
                :

Well, yeah... if that is what you put on them.

Tire size doesn't change the hubs being significantly wider with larger axles... so... ...

I guess I'm just confused for the purpose behind the quote/post.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Still a much easier swap than looking at another manufacturer wheel to swap.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  Who knows what is next?

Comment

Still a much easier swap than looking at another manufacturer wheel to swap.

Oh, my first thoughts are the same. I'd definately stick with zuki wheels in zuki forks/swingarms if your wanting to swap just the wheels.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Oh, my first thoughts are the same. I'd definately stick with zuki wheels in zuki forks/swingarms if your wanting to swap just the wheels.

Krey
                      Yes we do agree!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

[QUOTE=Kreylyn;2218669]

ok.. the reason i was asking about the years is because Im wanting to go with a wider rim on the back (4.5) and i just wondering about the SV's and Bandit cause they look the same as to be able to widen my search for a rim but now that you cleared that up for me i got one in mind now..

Now for the ? about the compatibility of other type wheels. Come next tax season i'll be looking to do a 1127 swap, there for leaving me with a really good pre 750 motor that i want to use in a ground up Cafe build using a Bandit 600 frame or a early GSXR frame and with that build i wanna use wire spoke wheels (asked this on another forum) that can run a 160/170 wheel

Comment

ok.. the reason i was asking about the years is because Im wanting to go with a wider rim on the back (4.5) and i just wondering about the SV's and Bandit cause they look the same as to be able to widen my search for a rim but now that you cleared that up for me i got one in mind now..

Now for the ? about the compatibility of other type wheels. Come next tax season i'll be looking to do a 1127 swap, there for leaving me with a really good pre 750 motor that i want to use in a ground up Cafe build using a Bandit 600 frame or a early GSXR frame and with that build i wanna use wire spoke wheels (asked this on another forum) that can run a 160/170 wheel
                          Okay, wire spoke wheel on a custom build.

The simple things to look at first.

I'd strong suggest you go with a 17" rim size. (keeps tire compatability, choices, and fitment into most sportbike swingarms simple). This can be swapped in later since it's a wire wheel if you have the right hub. Also, based upon your tire size, a 4.5 - 5" wide rim would be optimal. The 2 swingarms that go with the frames you mentioned should be no issue for clearances for the tire.

The big thing I would look at is the hub.

What is the measurment of the sprocket offset. You want to measure the flat back side surface of where the sprocket mounts to, to the center line of the wheel. That offset needs to match the engine/front sprocket offset to line up the chain. If you can get one that is really close, there are a few ways to mod to make them match. If you start out with them being really way off, that can get problematic quickly.

The next aspect of the hub is the rotor and or the rotor bolt mounting setup (if your going disk brake). You need to work out a rotor that will be compatible with your bike's clearances, claliper bracket choice, and able to be mounted to the wheel.

Finally is the axle size and spacers/bearings setup. If you can find a hub that has similiar axle/bearings to the wheel that normally would go into the swingarm your using, it makes swaps much easier. If you can't find that, then the next step is check for/find a good custom bearing source that will offer the option of betting the bearing sizes you need. Alternatively your looking at swapping out the axle and spacers and trying to match them to the swingarm.

I've done a bit of both, and honestly what I found was that using as few custom made parts as possible was significantly easier and cheaper. With that, instead of having spacers/axles and such made, I started to modify the swingarm and use stock parts everywhere else.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Ahh, I was thinking it would be a bit easier to just find a set of duel disk wheels from a thunderbird or BMW that run pretty close to SS spec's and just use the front end and make the swing arm for the rear but i can't seem to find info on the stem size and what not. I was wondering how hard it would be to fit a SV650 wheel because i found this.. http://www.radmfg.com/category-s/10454.htm
                            take a look and tell me what you think?

Comment

Working...
                            X