No announcement yet.
X

Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh ok thanx for breaking it down for me!

So this carb float needle is there one only on my katana?
    to begin do i just purchase the carb repair kit on ebay if so needle should be with pachage huh?!
    Last edited by KatanaStud; 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I aint riding my kat im pulling magic trix out of my hat!
    «on the soccer field of course»

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaStud View Post
      Oh ok thanx for breaking it down for me!

So this carb float needle is there one only on my katana?
      to begin do i just purchase the carb repair kit on ebay if so needle should be with pachage huh?!

One for each carb, 4 carbs on the bike = 4 floats and float needles.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Carbs are leaking, flot needle not sealing!?! I think don't hold me to my words though.

Comment

oh thnx man i really apreciate u guys imput alot

these carb repair kits on ebay for 19.99 have the needle in package but do i need everything else or just the needle itself? i see some on ebay selling just needle itself or package for one carb i guess i just but four packages
          Last edited by KatanaStud; 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you're replacing float needles you might as well rebuild each carb while you're in there.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

scottynoface and to do that with me buying the carb repair kit on ebay for 20 bux will that be what i would need only to repair each carb or what else?

like getting new main/pilot jets???? or just getting new gaskets, O-rings ?
              Last edited by KatanaStud; 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you have a leaking float needle the gas will pass from the carbs to the engine cylinder head to the clinders via the intake valves. For gas to travel from the carbs to the head it has to travel through the carb boots. I'd be checking the carb boots with the engine off and petcock on prime. I'd be looking for gas. It's nice to know which float needles aren't stopping the gas before tearing into the carbs. It's easier to find a problem if you know where to look for it.
                If I had a 2006 model with a leaking float needle- I wouldn't rebuild the carbs. I'd just fix the problem. Once the problem is fixed then I'd ride it to check the performance.
                Float needles are accessed by removing the float bowl (the bottom cover). You have to remove the float pin and float to get to the needle. Pay attention to the position of the clip on the float needle. After replacing or cleaning the float needle check the float height and compare it to the float height of the other floats. The carbs should be upside down to check float height. Hope that helps.
                1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
                1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                1977 Honda XL125

Comment

or just getting new gaskets, O-rings ?
                  This.

Again, you dont have to, but if it were me I'd replace every bit of rubber while I was in there.

What's that saying about an ounce of prevention...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thats what i was askin u scotty if the rubber pcs that u woould replace if those r the ones in the carb repair kit are those what ur talking about?

Comment

Thats what i was askin u scotty if the rubber pcs that u woould replace if those r the ones in the carb repair kit are those what ur talking about?
                      For a post kat, the repair kit should include all parts you need to replace normally.

If the carbs are in really bad shape, then you might need a couple of the T rubber boots at the fuel line T.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanx krey

Comment

KatanaStud....before you go so far as to tear into your carbs, you should know that there are at least a dozen other little things that can make your bike stall, then not start again. Krey "might" be right, but it in reality it is a long shot. no one asked you how the bike stalled. did it bog down? did it act like it was running out of gas? did it just shut off like you turned the key off?

often side stand switches go bad and it will cause the bike to stall while moving. then it won't start again. and if you happen to have choked it while trying to start it, that could mean you flooded it and that isd why your oil smells like gas. just because you have gas in the oil, it doesn't mean your carbs are bad. I have flooded my own bike before when I had a bad plug, and my oil was full of gas. it had nothing to do with the carbs,

I am only suggesting you eliminate all other possibilities before tearing into your carbs. that process should actually be one of the last things you do, as it is the most time consuming. not even a dealership will assume a carb job is needed before eliminating all the simple possibilities first. that is what any responsible mechanic would do....eliminate the small problems first, and save the big for last.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ok so my plan is to get four repair kits clean and repair carbs then change spark plugs n motor oil for now hopefully thats it for now man i miss riding

Comment

Simple enough test.... prime to fill the bowls, turn to on, remove fuel line, blow hard.

If air moves, any... at all... then... you verified you have the problem described and need to clean/rebuild the carbs.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Wow mojoe words of wisdom u got there well my bike does feel weak at turn of throttle then the power kix in but when it turns off its like bogging out

Comment

Working...
                                X