X

Painting my rims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my rims

Decided I want to paint the rims on my bike yellow to go with the yellow decals I'm getting. Just wanted to know if anyone has a good paint suggestion?
    2006 Katana 600

Asking for color selections or paint brand/type?
    -2000 "750"

Comment

It doesn't really matter. In my opinion ALL paint is going to be equally as crappy. Powder coat them.

Comment

Mine has held up quite well... for two seasons at least (so far). Although I think it has something to do with the fact that I only painted the spokes and the rim portion is bare aluminum.. The rim section is probably where most of the abuse is taken.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

hmmm....powder coating them sounds like a neat idea :P I wonder how much that would run me.
          2006 Katana 600

Comment

More than a $5 dollar can of spray paint, I can tell you that much.

Comment

Just realized you said yellow wheels in your original post. doh! Just be ready to keep 'em clean.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

haha yea.

Maybe ill just buy some new rims that are already powder coated yellow...hmmm...interesting idea. Anyone know of a good site to find rims?
                Last edited by BabyBoosa; 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                2006 Katana 600

Comment

usually about $ 50 a wheel around here to powder coat

I have painted many wheels and had great results, but powder coat is far more durable and best for light colors
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I just painted mine with rustoleum wheel paint In graphite. If I get a couple seasons out of them I'll be happy. I can always do them over. I stripped to bare metal, used self etching primer, then 2 coats of color and two coats of clear. I may add another clear coat still. I will post pics later

First pic is with color coats. second pic with clear coats

Last edited by diesel; 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBoosa View Post
                      Anyone know of a good site to find rims?
                      This isn't a Honda Civic, you dont just go out and buy WHEELS.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
                        I just painted mine with rustoleum wheel paint In graphite. If I get a couple seasons out of them I'll be happy. I can always do them over. I stripped to bare metal, used self etching primer, then 2 coats of color and two coats of clear. I may add another clear coat still. I will post pics later

First pic is with color coats. second pic with clear coats

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_7166.jpg
                        Oh those look damn good. I talked to my cousin today and he has a couple ideas for paint so I think they should turn out nice since he knows what he doing.

Ill post some pics when they are done.
                        2006 Katana 600

Comment

i was considering doing this to my pre 750. the original owner didnt take care of the rims so there is all kinds of grease and stuff on them and they look like crap do you think if i just sand them down and rattle can them would work???

Comment

I would do yellow if, my bike as a whole was a nice solid tone

Comment

Working...
                            X