No announcement yet.
X

Smokin's 82 Kat Resto project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW... lookin good bud! Cant wait to see the finished product!!

Comment

Hey that looks great.
      How did you get a new sight glass in the master cylinder?
      I didn't know there was a replacment or that i could be done?
      Tell me please.

Comment

Been a while since I've been here - sight glass was made from a small round mirror like the ones you can find at craft stores. I found a metal disc of the diameter required, super glued the mirror to that, then wet sanded the edges of the glass down to the metal disc. Once I hit metal I knew it was right. Cleaning off the super glue and mirror material wasn't any fun, but worth the effort.

Good luck!

Comment

oHHHHHH THATS NICE! I was scrolling down so fast to see the finished product....

Lunchbag letdown!
          Can't wait to see it when its all done. Love the old bikes.
          Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

This is looking good i can not wait to see the finish product

Comment

Thanks for the compliments folks!

I'm at work or I'd post some more pics up.... Anyway, The engine is mostly back together. Cylinders honed, jugs installed with new rings, valves lapped and installed. My buddies Matt and Tim are coming over this Friday to put the head on, install cams and time the dam thing up.

Thinking I might convince them to help me put it in the chassis while they're there, too.

Then it becomes a matter of carbs, wiring harness install, and cosmetics for tank and seat.

Few other odds n ends here n there but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

My goal is to fire it before (or for) my birthday on Aug. 16th. Entirely doable I think

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                Been a while since I've been here - sight glass was made from a small round mirror like the ones you can find at craft stores. I found a metal disc of the diameter required, super glued the mirror to that, then wet sanded the edges of the glass down to the metal disc. Once I hit metal I knew it was right. Cleaning off the super glue and mirror material wasn't any fun, but worth the effort.

Good luck!

What did you use to seal it in place??

Comment

I always loved that bike...never owned one though...

What you are doing looks really great... Nice and clean from the ground up... Keep it up and even though it has been asked for, post with the finished pics...

TonyE.
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

John,

My original master cylinder had a stainless bezel with an O-ring. I just replaced the o-ring and reused the stainless bezel. Slipped in like a charm, but I've yet to fill and bleed the brakes to check for leakage.....

The faceplate off my ignition switch turned out to be the correct diameter, you could take a measurement off your master cylinder after you remove the glass.

Comment

Got some questions about your wheel/tire combo. Ive got the same wheels on my GS than Im in the process of powdercoating: The original tires had tubes, are you running newer tires without the tubes? and Did the powdercoat where the tire mounts have an issues with the tire sealing? Thanks
                      Originally posted by arsenic
                      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I was told they were ok for tubed or tubeless tires. They had tubes in them when I got it, I just went ahead and put new tubes back in.

The tires are Bridgestone S-11's, I've had good luck with them on this model in the past. The dealer suggested tubes so that sealing isn't an issue. I don't know a whole lot about it so I may have been influenced by sealing fears. They've held ok in my garage for 6 months now. That's totally different than one that gets ridden every day, I know, but soon this will be an everyday rider too.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Yeah it does. My tires that I bought say "tubeless" so I think Im going to try and run them without tubes. I guess I can always through in some tubes later.
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

So where were we?

Oh yeah, reassembling the engine.

Here we have the cylinders honed, gettin ready to install:

Here they are together:

On to reassembling the head - lets begin with lapping valves, shall we?

All 16 valves look just like this after lapping.

Gotta reinstall them now. Check out my custom machined valve spring compressor tool:

And here it is in action:

All snuggled in tight:

So this brings us (mostly) up to speed. I have the rockers and rocker shafts installed, and Friday night I'm hoping to have the head torqued down, cams in, and all timed up.

Thanks for watching folks!
                            Last edited by Smokinapankake; 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

awesome mate , you know what youre doing
                              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                                Got some questions about your wheel/tire combo. Ive got the same wheels on my GS than Im in the process of powdercoating: The original tires had tubes, are you running newer tires without the tubes? and Did the powdercoat where the tire mounts have an issues with the tire sealing? Thanks
                                I don't know if this is relevant but I've powdercoated wheels on other bikes ,tubeless with no sealing problems,fwiw.
                                Last edited by johnod; 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X