X

m bike just started last week but not now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m bike just started last week but not now

I just bought my bike a couple months ago and love it. its a 1989 1100 or GSX 1100F wow is it fast. Im not sure if its bad but i start it often and rev the s**t out of it. never going above about 7500rpm but still more than i have got it out on the road. still pulled a wheelie in second and had to slow down after 100mph due to trafic. now to the point... just last week i tryed to start it and it sounded like it only fired on a couple cylanders then the next day i sprayed some starting fluid in the carbs and tryed again and nothing. i cant get my spark plugs out, is it a special socket i need? I think it is one or both of the coils or the plugs but for two weeks ago it running like a dream to not anything now i'm not sure what to do at this point.

You killed it

Comment

how do i fix it?

i really like riding the bike if i killed it i might buy another one and keep this one for parts but first how can i fix this one and then how do i keep from killing it or my next one again. i have always had dirt bikes and know how to work on them but this is a diffrent animal
      Last edited by bigdanthegreat; 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
        You killed it
        Originally posted by bigdanthegreat View Post
        I just bought my bike a couple months ago and love it. its a 1989 1100 or GSX 1100F wow is it fast. Im not sure if its bad but i start it often and rev the s**t out of it. never going above about 7500rpm but still more than i have got it out on the road. still pulled a wheelie in second and had to slow down after 100mph due to trafic. now to the point... just last week i tryed to start it and it sounded like it only fired on a couple cylanders then the next day i sprayed some starting fluid in the carbs and tryed again and nothing. i cant get my spark plugs out, is it a special socket i need? I think it is one or both of the coils or the plugs but for two weeks ago it running like a dream to not anything now i'm not sure what to do at this point.
        Normal spark plug socket should work. Check the plugs. Check the plug wires/coils.
        Last edited by Surviverguy; 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
        1980 Suzuki GS450ET
        1977 Honda XL125

Comment

so far no one has any good advice, but an awsome response time. i thought this was a place to get some good info on how to get katanas running.

i will go down to the parts and get plugs and coils. i hope that works and it wont hurt. if that is the problem how would i keep this from happining again? also theres a real thin space between the plug and the housing and my standard and metric spark plug sockets will not grab the plug.
          Last edited by bigdanthegreat; 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If the socket is too thick- you could grind it down on the sides a little. I've never worked on an 1100. I wouldn't buy any new parts without checking things first.
            1980 Suzuki GS450ET
            1977 Honda XL125

Comment

Here's some advice. If you're looking for help. Don't claim you busted wheelies or you had too slow down from 100 MPH in traffic. We're not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Here's some advice. If you're looking for help. Don't claim you busted wheelies or you had too slow down from 100 MPH in traffic. We're not impressed.
                The name you chose..."Big Dan the Great"....not trying to pick on you- but it isn't helping either...
                1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                1977 Honda XL125

Comment

LOL im a badass but im not badass enough to fix my bike. Now i need some one elses help so i can go be silly again. Jeeez

Comment

You're bike was running great. Now it won't run. What might be wrong with it? From here- it's hard to diagnose. You're gonna have to ask specific questions to get helpful answers.
                    What's required for the engine to run?
                    1) proper fuel/air mix
                    2) good spark at the right time
                    3)engine compression between 100-150 psi
                    4)air
                    5)exhaust
                    6)starter which spins engine fast enough
                    WHich of these isn't working right? What have you tried? What have you found?

how do i fix it?

i really like riding the bike if i killed it i might buy another one and keep this one for parts but first how can i fix this one and then how do i keep from killing it or my next one again. i have always had dirt bikes and know how to work on them but this is a diffrent animal
                    I doubt you "killed it"- but it's possible. Air cooled engines need airflow to keep from overheating. When you running the engine at higher rpms and not riding- it's not getting the cooling it needs and can overheat. Overheating can "kill it". Low oil pressure or low oil level can "kill it".
                    Last edited by Surviverguy; 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                    1977 Honda XL125

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

hahaha my thoughts exactly.

Comment

so far no one has any good advice, but an awsome response time. i thought this was a place to get some good info on how to get katanas running.

i will go down to the parts and get plugs and coils. i hope that works and it wont hurt. if that is the problem how would i keep this from happining again? also theres a real thin space between the plug and the housing and my standard and metric spark plug sockets will not grab the plug.
                        listen, you need a thin wall socket. I can't remember the exact size because it has been a while. 19mm maybe? could be 22mm. someone on here should know it and chime in.

second of all, don't go out and buy coils before removing the plugs to see what your fire is like....or if your plugs are even any good. don't forget...it's an 88 and you just bought it. for all you know, those plugs could be 20 years old.

so there you go....get the right size thin wall socket and remove those plugs. nuber each plug with a marker or tape so you know what cylinder they come out of. that way if you are not sure what to look for, you can post the pic here of your plugs and we can see if you have a bad cylinder or two that are fouling up your plugs....or if they all are. numbering the plugs will help us tell you which cylinder(s) is giving you problems. if it is your coils, the two cylinders matching the bad coil should show it.

so there you go....pull the plugs. that is what has to be done first.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

make sure your battery has a FULL charge, too. I'm not up on the 1100's, but my 600 is very finicky if the battery is low...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                            make sure your battery has a FULL charge, too. I'm not up on the 1100's, but my 600 is very finicky if the battery is low...
                            yes....could be the battery too, although I find the 1100's not nearly as finicky as the other kats. my bikes have started on weak batteries, but that doesn't mean they all do.

so ya....try boosting it. don't worry, you won't hurt anything. just do it with the boosting vehicle off...as in not running. if your bike starts, you know it's the battery. if it doesn't, then pull the plugs.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                            X