X

Dropped bike in the driveway

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped bike in the driveway

while putting it up on the rear stand to lube the chain. She fell on the left side - no obvious damage other than scrapes. Noticed some gas on the ground and some oil but she started right up.

After lubing the chain I noticed she is now dripping oil. Any ideas as to what may be happening? Could oil have spilled from somewhere when she went over and now its trickling down or is it possible I cracked something (like the clutch/tranny cover)???
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

yeah...cracked cover....it will drip a little oil...JB weld it.

that sucks...

Comment

Yeah, it sucks to drop a bike. Sorry to hear about the incident. Hopefully, it's easily fixed.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Range,

What is a JB Weld?

Would it be worth it to just get a new cover (and gasket)?

And thanks, I was afraid it was something stupid like that.
        PurpleonBlack

Comment

jb weld is an epoxy. it is made to repair stuff like that. it is supposedly as strong as a weld. you can get it at any auto parts store. most do it as a temporary fix until they can get the cover replaced

Comment

Temprorary ? Let me tell you some things about JB Weld ......

Yeah , it's an easy repair . The cover MAY have just gotten knocked loose and damaged the gasket or something . But THAT cover is the easy one to crack , so I'd bet that it is .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Geez this whole dropped bike thing is an epidemic recently.. Hope you all arent jinxing the rest of us

As long as the cover isnt broken or severely cracked, the jb weld for hold for a good long time.

Comment

I did some searching online. I can get an OE replacement at Ron Ayers for about $85.00. I also found an NRC brand at Mammouth Motorsports for $89.00. The NRC one is supposed to be heavier duty. Anyone have any experience with these? I haven't called the dealer yet to find out how much it would be through them but I'll have to get a gasket from them anyway.
                PurpleonBlack

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  "The bike that JB weld built" I was waiting for you to poke your head in here

Comment

OK - just did a search here. It seems people like the NRCs. From the research I've done, they seem to fit under the fairing, use the original allen bolts and I'll just need to get a gasket.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
                    PurpleonBlack

Comment

how do you drop your bike on the LEFT side when putting it on the center stand.....did it fall on you?

Comment

No - I was jacking it up with a back-end stand (the kind the grabs it under the swing arms where the back wheel goes). I had the bike pointing down the slope of my driveway so as I lifted the back end up, she rolled forward, slipped off the left side of the stand and fell to the left. The kickstand was out but retracted when she was rolling forward and going down. I was at the back of the bike so it didn't land on me but I was in no position to even slow it's decent. At first I was happy because I didn't break the mirror...but now happiness is gone as I now have to spend $100 on a new engine cover.

Could be worse. I could have been doing 80 mph when she went down. If the only times I lay down my bike are for little physics lessons like this (or getting off and not putting the kickstand down all the way or rolling it into the garage and forgetting that the front end is locked and I can't turn), I'll consider myself ahead of the game.
                        PurpleonBlack

Comment

always look on the brightside..there ya go!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                            Originally posted by md86
                            "The bike that JB weld built" I was waiting for you to poke your head in here
                            Yeah , I'm gonna look into getting a sponsorship . Get me some big ol JB Weld stickers on my bike .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X