X

What do you all think of this deal? **pics added**

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you all think of this deal? **pics added**

I am going to try and give this guy a call this evening and see what I can find out about the bike, and I'm going to try and go look at it tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive, but not too bad I guess.

He wants $5,000 for it. Lou says that's a bit high, and I definately beleive that. What would you all say is a fair price to offer the guy if the bike is in real good condition.

From the information given, is there anything specific that I should watch out for on the bike? the low milage makes me wonder about the cleanliness of the carbs, do you agree?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Since it's an 02 your looking at replacing all the lines next season (06). 4 years is the interval for brake, fuel, Vaccum lines etc according to the manual

Also Brake fluid,fork oil HELL the oil period, one has to wonder how many times it's been changed when it's a 4 year old bike with a mere 1200 miles on it . Most of thiese are monor maitenace tiems.

I can't comment of the price since what used bikes go for here is diffeent than down there.

Looks to me like a nearly new bike mile wise.
    Kyle

Comment

Ryde, If it's sold, that'll save me a 2 hour diversion tomorrow

Woobie. I had a hard time getting what you meant out of your post. So do you think that there is something up with the bike? Or were you just making me aware that I would need to do all that stuff next year?

Comment

If I had $4400 laying around, I'd go buy it.

He's telling you about the maint issues so you both know what to expect and so you have haggling points.

My guess is that it sat at a local dealership for a year and half, then he bought it about a year ago, rode it until he decided bikes weren't his thing any more or until he wrecked it (and the insurance rebuilt it). I'm also guessing that his asking price is based on what he either has into it or still owes on it.

I picked up my last Kat as a 2 year old bike with 1480 miles on the odo for $4300 including taxes & tags, but it was a 600. When I got it, I had to give it a couple doses of Techron in the fuel to get the carbs unclogged -- but other than a worn back brake (you can always tell guys who come from the cruiser realms) and bad choke cable routing resulting in a broken choke cable, it has needed nothing other than standard maint...

Values: see www.nada.com

PS - make sure to ask him for a copy of the receipt for the 600 mile service -- and check to make sure it was 2.4 to 2.7 hours of labor -- because if not, it never got it's first valve clearance check & adjustment.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Alright

So you don't think I would have to either take the carbs out myself and clean them, or have the shop do it, CP?

I'm going to call the guy when I get home this afternoon and see what I can learn over the phone, and I'll update with anything new I learn. If it never had the first valve clearance check done, should I just walk away from it. Or does that just mean that I'm going to have to take care of it getting done and I should use that as a haggling point?

Thanks for the information so far.

Comment

If it's never had the valves done, you use that as a haggling point. Remember, it's a game -- you drive the price down as far as possible, he drives it up as far as possible. You want to win.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd print out a copy of this thread to take w/ you..and if u know someone who knows something about bikes to go with you, it would be to your benefit..the more eyes looking in ur favor the better.

The homework you do, the less likely you are to be taken.

Comment

Oh, and if you don't have this, print it out and take it with you:

CyberPoet's Pre-purchase checkout checklist for inspecting & buying an used bike

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: What do you all think of this deal?

Originally posted by g_man500a

I am going to try and give this guy a call this evening and see what I can find out about the bike, and I'm going to try and go look at it tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive, but not too bad I guess.
                  I'm about 15 miles from Monroe, can't check it out today, but could take a look tomorrow if you haven't come up here yet.

Keep it simple.....1+1=2

Comment

That would be awesome man! I'd really appreciate it. I was kind of not liking the idea of going and doing all that myself, but I didn't think I had any choice. The guy didn't call me back last night, so I am going to try to call him again this evening, or he might still call me back before then, and if I can get in touch with him, I'd like to go look at it tomorrow(sunday).

I'll send you a PM real quick with my number.

Comment

Update:

I finally got ahold of the guy that has that bike.

I'm not sure what to think. He was a nice guy, but here's what I gathered from our conversation.

The bike tipped over on the trailer, so it has some scratches on one side. The guy bought a roll of carbon fiber tape stuff to cover up some of the scratches with but hasn't done anything with it yet.

The reason the miles are so low is that some cruiser rider bought the bike, and decided that he didn't want to ride that type of bike so it just sat for awhile.

The guy that has it now bought it from the cruiser guy for just over what he is selling it for now. He said that he did some throttle work and stuff when he first got it to get it running good and all after sitting for awhile.

He changed the oil at 850 miles, and he said that the 600 mile maintence was not done. He said he did all the maintentance stuff himself. I asked him about the valves being done and he said that on japanese bikes, they aren't supposed to be done until like 20,000miles. When I corrected him on that, telling him that they needed to be done at 600 and then every 7000 after that, he was just like "it didnt' reccomend it, and my friends said that you didn't need to do them on the japanese bikes", long story short, the valves will need to be done.

He thinks that $5000 is an AWESOME price for the bike(lol). He says he'd be willing to work on the price a little bit, but not a whole lot. He said it had like 400 miles on it when he got it from the cruiser guy.

Not sure what to think here. Does anybody have any input on this?

I told him that I would call him tomorrow and let him know if I was in the area and wanted to see it. So I need to decide by morning wether or not to drive almost two hours to go see this thing.

...help, lol.

Comment

toooooooo much...IMHO...by at least $1000.00

more detriment would have been done by sitting so long...neglect is harder on a bike then daily usage.

You could get a brand new bike for $1500.00 more...warenteed!

Comment

Here's what you do:

Print out the NADA price guides and RonAyer's pricing for a replacement fairing. Show them to him. Explain that these are based on a mint (not-cracked fairing) condition, and that as a result, you'll have to take low retail and deduct from that.

Or walk away and shrug your shoulders -- but leave him your number when he figures out that he can't sell it for what he wants with winter closing in and repairs needed.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Here's what you do:

Print out the NADA price guides and RonAyer's pricing for a replacement fairing. Show them to him. Explain that these are based on a mint (not-cracked fairing) condition, and that as a result, you'll have to take low retail and deduct from that.

Or walk away and shrug your shoulders -- but leave him your number when he figures out that he can't sell it for what he wants with winter closing in and repairs needed.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                              Since it's an 02 your looking at replacing all the lines next season (06). 4 years is the interval for brake, fuel, Vaccum lines etc according to the manual

Also Brake fluid,fork oil HELL the oil period, one has to wonder how many times it's been changed when it's a 4 year old bike with a mere 1200 miles on it . Most of thiese are monor maitenace tiems.

I can't comment of the price since what used bikes go for here is diffeent than down there.

Looks to me like a nearly new bike mile wise.
                              woobie...not to knock your advice, but do you really do that? go by the manual? personally i think it is really not needed. the vacume lines are the same material as on a car, and they don't change them every 4 years. same with brake/fuel lines. my bike is a 93, and i am pretty much 100% sure mine are all still original parts. the brake hoses are due though. i just think they tell you to do alot of stuff you don't have to just to make money.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X