Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made my Paint bubble?

Lets play a game called "What made my paint bubble":
    I just got home from work got off my bike and noticed this

It looks like something was dripped on it.
    The facts:
    It wasnt like that yesterday when I waxed it.
    It could have been like that in the morning but I didnt notice it.
    Last night I started parking it under the deck (maybe something dripped down?). Here:

I immediately looked at the brake fluid reservoir and other than a little moisture there were no apparent leaks.

What could it be?

My guess would be a little bit of moisture underneath the paint that evaporated and expanded.

Comment

well if you notice in one of the pictures where you can see the plastic molding you can actually see what looks to be another "drip" of whatever

Comment

Is that factory paint or a respray with all the decals? If its factory then something dripped on it...if its a respray it was moisture under the color that evaporated and left it lifted. waxing it coulda made the paint react to what ever contaminant was in it.
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

it could be a chigger try putting finger nail polish on it

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
            Is that factory paint or a respray with all the decals?.
            Its factory paint

Comment

it might of been a scratch of some sort but the paint flexed back so it looks like it bubbled

if it was something dripping it wouldnt take that path ......and it would do it for the whole fairing

it would take the route of least resistance

get some watter and run it slowly and see the path that it takes if it takes the same path then yes something was dripping but if not then its a scratch .....(make shure you park in the same spot

Comment

My guess is brake fluid

OR its caused by a defect or contamination in the factory most likely air bibbles inside the plastic

i had the same thing on my VT 600 from new
                after a few months of owning the bike the same thing happened
                I wrecked the bike and repainted it a couple times and it came back every time within months

it was contamination from the factory
                once i stripped the tank you could see there difference on the bare steal where the primer did not adhear properly
                Once i cleaned it and repainted it the problem was gone

you get the same thing in fiberglass from air bubbles trapped betwen the layers or under the resin... once the heat gets to it it comes to the surface

but it seriously looks like brake fluid dripped on there
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 07-23-2009, 12:57 AM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

If thats new it may be someone splashed it with ? Or bird crap is the worst thing for paint too

Comment

Have you ridden under any bridges lately, or parked under asomething besides where you would normaly park? Looks to me like some thing has dripped on the bike from above and it has run down the side. Something not very paint friendly.

Tok

Comment

Originally posted by Tokalosh View Post
                      Have you ridden under any bridges lately, or parked under asomething besides where you would normaly park? Looks to me like some thing has dripped on the bike from above and it has run down the side. Something not very paint friendly.

Tok
                      The last picture shows where I parked it for the first time the night before

Comment

Are you sure it's not some kind of sap leaching from the wooden deck?
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Did you recently fill up with fuel? Gasoline can make paint bubble if it sits on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                            Are you sure it's not some kind of sap leaching from the wooden deck?
                            it might have been and at first thats what I thought it was but why would sap make paint bubble?

Comment

Working...
                            X