X

Suzuki Woes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Woes...

Alas, the Suzuki Stratosphere will not be built. This was the 6 cylinder, original Katana styled bike that I think 300 posted pics of a while back. What is it about motorcycle companies that when they spend all this time, effort and money on a great concept, one that the public drools over (and if priced fairly, would sell like hotcakes), they then say "Nah, it was just an engineering excercise. We ain't gonna build it."

I just don't get it.

The story is here: http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/art...rc=motorcycles
    2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Suzuki has a habit of showing things and then having them pop out of their factory in a modified form a few years later if there is enough ground-swell of support... Saying "we won't build it" could be just that (issues with things like heat control in the engine or cost issues with retooling their lines to support a 6-cylinder block), or it might be a way of keeping the competition off guard while they figure out what from that design really can be used to bring a viable 6-pot screamer to market.

Personally, I don't think MSN's reps are really in the loop far enough to know the difference.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Many of the project bikes you see at shows never get set into production, but they do take alot of the design features and use them on other bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Personally, I don't think MSN's reps are really in the loop far enough to know the difference.
        I have heard this before too

Comment

We could hope that the design features they may use in the future could lead to a 6 cylinder Katana!

Personally, I kinda like the way that Buell does it. Strict confidentiality, and what you see is the new model at its intro.
          2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

I dont have any inside knowledge, but do you really think there was such a groundswell of support for that bike and that it would have sold like hotcakes?
            Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
              I dont have any inside knowledge, but do you really think there was such a groundswell of support for that bike and that it would have sold like hotcakes?
              I think Suzuki will get letters and press-based comments asking about it. Several concept bikes from Suzuki and Honda have seen the light of day that way, including the Honda Ruin and the Suzuki BKing.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

one wonders what their budgets are for creating bikes, especially ones that will probably never be built.

The concepts are awesome, but most never make it further than that.

Comment

Im not saying that they wont build some of the concepts. But the thread was starting with the idea that this bike had great support and would sell like hotcakes. My point is, that I dont feel it would. But thats just my personal opinion

Comment

Yeah, it was a personal opinion based on my gut. No scientific basis whatsoever. I just figured that a 6 cyl naked bike with edgy styling like the Stratosphere would do really well among the younger crowd, and could favorably compete with the FZ1, Z1000, and the like. If it came with a smooth engine and 180 hp (additional article and pics here: http://www.rubbermag.com/news/0510/051020_05n.html ), I think it would sell well. I think the bike is styled in the same vein as some of the KTM concepts, which are gathering favorable press, only the Suzuki is a little more conservative and less angular. Perhaps "the public drools" was a bit of an overstatement. Hell, it's all speculation anyway, and the only way to really know how well it would sell would be to build it, and let the public decide.

The main intent of the post was to express frustration that it's a waste of resources to go through the planning and execution of a bike that ain't gonna be built in its entirety, although I think that it would be cool if the concepts used on this bike found their way onto existing models.

6 cyl 180 horse engine, automatic shifting (reported here: http://www.ridingsun.com/posts/1128400829.shtml ), looks like a lot of fun to me!
                    2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

Oh I agree the engine is very attarctive, but I dont think the looks are. Again this is all personal opinions. But I for one would not want an automatic transmission motorcycle at all.

I dont think it has the looks to win over the younger race replica crowd, especially with that old style katana front end. And I think it will be too expensive and powerful for the current katana crownd that seems to like affordability, comfort, and a safe bike.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Oh I agree the engine is very attarctive, but I dont think the looks are. Again this is all personal opinions. But I for one would not want an automatic transmission motorcycle at all.
                        I doubt I would want an automatic tranny either, although the way the FJR1300AE's is executed would be viable in my mind (the way the controls are set-up for it are slick) if Suzuki had a way to get the bike into neutral without going there directly via the gears (my biggest gripe about automatic electronic sequential-shift systems like the one in the FJR, most Ferrari's and Porches', etc). On the other hand, it might put the 2nd gear issue so many Kat riders end up with to rest for good...

I dont think it has the looks to win over the younger race replica crowd, especially with that old style katana front end.
                        I don't like the windshield execution, but the rest of the design is pretty nice. If it puts out the type of torque you'd expect from a 6-banger, it might stand a chance with the stunt crowds (but there go the insurance rates).

And I think it will be too expensive and powerful for the current katana crownd that seems to like affordability, comfort, and a safe bike.
                        True -- it would probably be out of the price envelope of those likely to buy a Katana new to begin with... But, depending on what options were available for it (hard bags? full fairing?), it might be a viable basis for several common-engine-platform bikes, including a super-tourer, a full dress-tourer, and a naked muscle bike... Once you start looking at it in those senses, you might see more market potential.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X