Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carb Vacuum (Synching)Ports Uncapped... Bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Vacuum (Synching)Ports Uncapped... Bad?

I've noticed that my #1 and #3 Vacuum ports for synching on top of the Carbs are missing their caps. Does this affect performance, and does this mean I've ensured a lot of dirt getting into these carbs? Needless to say, I'm going to find something to cover them shortly, but I wonder if I should clean the carbs again.
    1996 SUZUKI
    KATANA 600F

I don't know how much dirt got in there, they are vacuum ports, so anything dirty got sucked in there. Yes, it will heavily effect performance, with those uncapped thats a very prevalent vacuum leak.

Comment

You can't sync without those caps....

Comment

Originally posted by KickItJP
        You can't sync without those caps....
        Do you mean that you wouldn't want to synch the 1 to the 3 with a two hosed tool without having the #2 and #4 capped?
        1996 SUZUKI
        KATANA 600F

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016
          Yes, it will heavily effect performance, with those uncapped thats a very prevalent vacuum leak.
          How does vacuum leaks affect performance and by how much do you think?
          I guess it would just make those two cylinders run lean...?
          1996 SUZUKI
          KATANA 600F

Comment

Yeah, I guess you could sync by moving the caps to 2-4, but like arsenic said, you shouldn't be running it without caps as you are losing vacuum...and thus the carbs are not behaving consistently with one another

Lets say you buy 4 new OEM caps from suzuki (which is the only way you should cover them), and you run the bike. I would first sync, then run it to see if it perfoms normally. If it does, I'd just throw in some techron in my fuel and call it good. If not, then I'd clean the carbs again.

Comment

vacuum leaks will heavily effect your idle. Like it won't idle smooth, it will idle high, it will idle low, it just won't idle correctly.

Comment

Vacuum is the method of fuel delivery..and without consistent delivery, it can effect the not only performance, but the life of your engine.

Comment

Now I wonder how long those caps have been missing, probably since long before I bought the bike, and i'm a bit surprised out how well it's performing with them off.
                  1996 SUZUKI
                  KATANA 600F

Comment

wait until there back on, it will be a whole lot better.

Comment

now would be the time to get them too....less than 6 bucks with free shipping from ron ayers.
                      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                      18v Rigid Drill
                      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I'm super cheap, I was thinking of making something on my own...
                        1996 SUZUKI
                        KATANA 600F

Comment

Working...
                        X