Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Installing new chain/sprockets... Correct Chain Link Tool?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new chain/sprockets... Correct Chain Link Tool?

Hey all... will this tool work to install the new chain that I got?... I'm replacing the chain/sprockets tonight... But I'm thinking I have to wait. I ordered a tool similar to this from JCWhitney... but it doesn't come till the end of the month...

Thanks in advance...

New to Katriders? Click Here!

I posted the same thing a while back

Sadly the answer is no.

That is a chain press, it's use to press the new side plate onto the chain link before you rivet it.

So while you will need that, you will still need a chain riveter to rivet the connecting link on the new chain.

something like this
    Kyle

Comment

ok, sucky.... so, on this chain that I got... I can understand where you press the plate in, but there is an oblong c-clip (I'm sure if you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about So... I assumed, that just clicked into the grooves that are in the master link... So I wouldn't have to press it right? Or am I way off? Thanks again... this is my first chain. All went on good, and Kat is ready to go, just need to get the master link done!!

Comment

There are three basic types of chain joining -- endless, rivet and master link.
        Endless chains are normally used on factory production floors, where the chain can be installed during the build of the bike. Endless chains are also the strongest of all chains. The OEM chain that came with the Kat was endless, but to install another one, you'd have to drop the swingarm.

Rivet style chains have a joining link whose pins are mushroomed with a special tool at time of installation (the tool pointed out above for example, although there are cheaper tricks that work as well). The advantage of rivet is that if it's done right, it gives you about 95% of the strength of endless chains.

The final type is MasterClip. The advantage to master clip is that they are amazingly simple to install. The disadvantages to them is that they are only about 65 - 75% as strong as an endless chain (and as the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link), plus they are known to come off in transit, which can be disasterous at worst, or just a royal PIA at best. If you do use a Master-Clip style chain, get yourself a couple spare master clips and carry them under the seat -- because if the clip separates on the road, you'll probably find the chain again, but the odds of finding the original master clip AND it being in good enough shape to use again is about zero.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Excellent. Thank you very much guys. So, the question of the hour is where do I get the mushroom type... Can I buy just the masterlink somewhere online? I suppose I could do that and take it to the dealer and have them 'mushroom' it on quick. Thanks again.

Comment

I have no clue where to buy a rivet-style masterlink by itself; they are normally sold with the chain, although I suppose someone has to sell them. If nothing else, contact a chain manufacturer or distributor and ask for one.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Depending on the brand, a lot of dealers will sell the rivet style links. I just picked up some RK from my local shop for about $2 each.

Be sure to buy the same link as the chain. DID link with a DID chain, etc.
              There are/can be subtle differences.

Mike

Comment

i got my chain and the tool at this place: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...EET%20PRODUCTS

Comment

The rivet-links are standard 530 bits . Usually ANY dealer will have or can get them . $5 a pop . Bought a few that way myself . Make sure it has the o-rings with it , though . Some don't come with them .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X