No announcement yet.
X

kat down....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok folks.. i went to move the bike from that shop & it was them who said that it was gonna be $2800 to fix it... it wasn't the insurance company that said it was a total loss.. now i know i've not been riding that long but when I saw the bike all i see is that it needs fairings, front turn signals, & a cover that cracked on the right side above the oil pan (where oil emptied out..) also a right side handle bar that was bent... now when I spoke to my cuz he explained more clearly... it was at low speed as he was making a right turn & the cab hit him on the plastic of the front tire & left side front signal... only minor scratches on the slip-on...

Now if insurance company doesn't declare it a total loss what (offhand) can & should be a good offer from them so I can get it fixed & back on the road..? Any 7 all help/suggestions would be great...

ok folks.. i went to move the bike from that shop & it was them who said that it was gonna be $2800 to fix it... it wasn't the insurance company that said it was a total loss.. now i know i've not been riding that long but when I saw the bike all i see is that it needs fairings, front turn signals, & a cover that cracked on the right side above the oil pan (where oil emptied out..) also a right side handle bar that was bent... I don't see $2800 of damage at all... I think they just wanted to try to make us say they can fix it & bang us in the head.... now when I spoke to my cuz he explained more clearly... it was at low speed as he was making a right turn & the cab hit him on the plastic of the front tire & left side front signal... only minor scratches on the slip-on...

Now if insurance company doesn't declare it a total loss what (offhand) can & should be a good offer from them so I can get it fixed & back on the road..? Any 7 all help/suggestions would be great...

sorry for the double type.. been trying to fix it & it won't let me..
    Last edited by roe1880; 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by roe1880 View Post
      ok folks.. i went to move the bike from that shop & it was them who said that it was gonna be $2800 to fix it... it wasn't the insurance company that said it was a total loss.. now i know i've not been riding that long but when I saw the bike all i see is that it needs fairings, front turn signals, & a cover that cracked on the right side above the oil pan (where oil emptied out..) also a right side handle bar that was bent... now when I spoke to my cuz he explained more clearly... it was at low speed as he was making a right turn & the cab hit him on the plastic of the front tire & left side front signal... only minor scratches on the slip-on...

Insurance is going to quote you replacements for any broken/damaged parts including the plastics + labor to remove old, install new. Those costs are very high just for the parts. That means your bike is going to be totaled out by the insurance company. The only question is what they offer as the "total" value and how much is it to keep.

If you take the payout with buyback option, then your probably gonna get around $1500-1800 + bike back. Not counting the fairings, your probably gonna be looking at $4-600 to fix yourself if your lucky, and don't mind having busted but repaired plastics and moderately okay rattle can spray job.

Any shop is gonna eat up the $ fast in just labor, not counting parts, and you will end up in the hole if you want the bike repaired back to "original". It would be cheaper/easier to purchase a full replacement if that is what you want.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Piggybacking on Krey's post-

If you do keep it, there have been some posts from others claiming that the Chinese plastics on Ebay are decent. They are heavier than the stock fairings, but the holes line up pretty well and they are already painted.
        Extra life.

Comment

Well Krey hitting on ur post, that would be great if I were to get that $1500-1800 + bike back... that Is what i'm praying for as that will surely pay for parts.. The plastics aren't cracked just scratched & i can live with that for a bit... The labor I can do on my own as the damage really isn't that bad... If i get that $ amount or anything close i can fix it + maybe get a cleaner set of plastics, jet kit, sliders & maybe a few other things... lol..
          Thanks for the input fellas... I will try to keep yall posted on the progress.. just sitting waiting on the insurance company now...

In all actually that realy would be the best scenerio... i can fix it & sell it so I can get my Gixxer... lol.. the bike really isn't in bad shape.. I'm gonna push for that deal... Thanks again.
          Last edited by roe1880; 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Roe, talk to the ins company. Might have to settle for less money but what you're shooting for is to avoid having the bike listed as totaled. If they total it and sell it back to you then you're looking at a salvage title which would make it harder to sell later no matter how nicely you fix it up.

Also, talk to the shop that did the damage estimate. They should be able to provide you with a list of everything they found wrong with it. You don't want to go into this thinking it's just minor damage only to find out later that the frame's bent.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It all really boils down to what the insurance company offers for the total loss. I could not tell the year of your bike, but for a 2004 600 the book value is about $2.500.00. If you bump it up a little with the mods you might be looking at an extra $200.00. If they offer $2,500.00 or more I suggest take the money and use that as your starting cash for a new bike. If you fix it you will have a salvage title, which is not attractive and you will be lowballed to death. Even if you fixed it on the cheap, say $500.00, you might be left with $1,000.00 or so. So how much do you think you might be able to get for a bike with a salvage title that probably has a little rash here and there? Seems to me that you might wind up with almost the same amount that they should be offering as a total. So like I said, it all really depends on what the insurance offers as walk away money.

Comment

well expvet that is what I was hoping for in the beginning until i saw what real small damage (to the naked eye) was done.. I really am hoping that they say it is a total loss & that they will offer something in that range ($25-2800) which is what I was selling it for anyway so that I can get more together for next riding season to get a gixxer.. I didn't have a clue about the salvage title so thanks for pointing that out.. that really flipped the script for me back to my initail hope as stated above.

btw it's an '05 600
                Last edited by roe1880; 10-24-2012, 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well we're still waiting on the insurance company to come look at the bike... I've come to the realization that the bike isn't in bad condition.. All i need is a right handlebar, alternator cover w/gasket, & both front turn signals... the fairings are scratched up but not cracked, the mirrors are scratched also but if I keep the bike then I might just get turn signal mirrors (if i can find them), will try to bondo the fairings & since im gonna do that then i will get rid of the side turn sigs (as above)... I guess it will be my 1st project bike as I don't see a sale coming for it that will get me around 2k+... Any one have any of these parts please hit me at pm... thanks..

Comment

i just got 5600 from the insurance company on my 2006 bike & gear that was totaled. i would have rather had my bike. they did not offer a buy back option for me but i do not have time unless i dont sleep to work on it.

Comment

WOW.... How bad was the bike StPete? I believe that my cuz is also gonna sue the cabbie as our insurance company said they know he ran the red light, but that's seperate of course.

Comment

Originally posted by roe1880 View Post
                        WOW.... How bad was the bike StPete? I believe that my cuz is also gonna sue the cabbie as our insurance company said they know he ran the red light, but that's seperate of course.
                        I did not think it was that bad, some pics in my garage. Just the front was damaged and the plastics. The adjuster said that the plastic and lights would total it. The frame and engine were fine. The front forks would need to be replaced.

Comment

D*** I can only prey they hook me up like that... lol.. I gotta figure out how to post these pics... congrats to you & I hope no big injuries to whoever was riding it... 5700 would for sure get me a nice used Gixxer & have some pocket money as well... lol..

Comment

10/19 and its now 12/5 and they haven't looked at it yet???!!! The only realizations I'd come to are "I need a new insurance company" and " they ain't coming to look at my bike".
                            It should be a matter of a few days, tops, not a month and a half
                            Last edited by c-rod90; 12-05-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

yeah, nothing yet... the othn eve heard was a cal from them sayin they have proper proof that the cabdrive ate te red light... that's it...

Comment

Originally posted by StPeteKatRider View Post
                                i just got 5600 from the insurance company on my 2006 bike & gear that was totaled.
                                Holy hell, I hope you ran with the money...they must have misread the F for an R.
                                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X