X

First motorcycle. 1997 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisGuilday View Post
    Hey guys. I have been looking for a motorcycle for a while and I just got a great deal on a 1997 katana 600. (Traded 1996 yamaha yz 125 2 stroke bike + 500 cash)

I have a few questions about some of the mods done to the bike. But first a few things about the bike.

It has 44k miles but every thing looks perfect, very light scratches on the left side, not very noticeable. However, engine was rebuilt 792 miles ago and it has a 6 month warranty. I found it particularly hard to get it into neutral, don't know if this is normal. My dirt bikes always went in fairly easy.

It has a vance and hines exhaust.

A new jet kit. I think he said it was a stage 3. Don't really know what that means.

My question is...

I heard the 1997 katanas had about 10 more hp over the other years. Is this true?

Is this a good bike to start on? I know every one is probably going to say I should of gotten a 250. I have ridden my friends ninja 250 many times and it felt boring. I have motocross experience. I know this isn't the same as street experience though.

Also, what is a stage 3 jet kit? Is the vance and hines exhaust good? How much horsepower does this add?

Thanks for taking your time to help!

I recognize that bike! I've been watching it on CL for the last 2 weeks or so. I noticed youre from FL too.. and since it's a custm paint scheme, im sure its the same one. I thought it looked really nice, and i'm sure youll love it. Almost everyone on the forum will be glad to take you through the normal stages of progression for new katana riders:

1) how can i get more HP
    2) how big a tire can i put on it
    3) what sort of mods should I do
    4) gearing changes, pipes, etc etc etc

Just use the search function first, because there already exists threads to nearly all the questions you will most likely have.

nice bike!
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
      I recognize that bike! I've been watching it on CL for the last 2 weeks or so. I noticed youre from FL too.. and since it's a custm paint scheme, im sure its the same one. I thought it looked really nice, and i'm sure youll love it. Almost everyone on the forum will be glad to take you through the normal stages of progression for new katana riders:

1) how can i get more HP
      2) how big a tire can i put on it
      3) what sort of mods should I do
      4) gearing changes, pipes, etc etc etc

Just use the search function first, because there already exists threads to nearly all the questions you will most likely have.

nice bike!
      You forgot "where can I find a 58" stretched swingarm" or "I'm dropping in a turbo busa engine with nos how do I take off the fairings?"
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        You forgot "where can I find a 58" stretched swingarm" or "I'm dropping in a turbo busa engine with nos how do I take off the fairings?"
        But the all-time, number one question that will eventually be asked:

"How do I wheelie my Katana?"

yut-uhhhh!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
          But the all-time, number one question that will eventually be asked:

"How do I wheelie my Katana?"

yut-uhhhh!
          Nope. You need a gsxr 600/750/1000 for that.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Nope. You need a gsxr 600/750/1000 for that.
            Or a Hayabusa
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
            X