X

GSX650F vs. FZ6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX650F vs. FZ6

Anybody compare the two? I can't decide which one to go for and unlike with cars, you can't just test ride both and decide!!!!
    Thanks for your input,
    Dani

GSX650F vs. FZ6

vs.

would be nice...Both got good reviews..
    Dani

Comment

GSX650F vs. FZ6

I seem to be the only one posting on this thread
      Anyway, sat on the FZ6 and the Suzuki I remember as being more comfortable. Maybe, it is my height, 5'8" and 30" inseam, but I could flat foot the suzuki and was on my toes with the yamaha.

Comment

I havent ridden a GSX650F but I do own a FZ6, its my wifes bike and it is sweet. I love riding it and find myself making excuses to take her bike out. It is very comfortable compaired to my SV and Daytona, but thats to be expected. It is too bad that you cant ride before you buy, good luck on making the right decision.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

I have not ridden the Suziki.
          I did ride the FZ^ though. It was a quick and agile bike. The only thing I did not like about it is that I felt I had to shift more. It required an aciive rider. My other dislike is that I felt like the engine had to be really revving high.
          To be fair before I rode the Yamaha I was a cruiser rider, so I was not used to keeping a bike at 6 or 8k.

Comment

The FZ6 is a high revving bike. Buddy has one. Its just a tuned down R6 motor. R6 forks fit in the Triples for a nice fork and brake upgrade.
            '07 SV1000S
            Power Commander III USB
            M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
            Driven 520 chain kit
            Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Ah Christ.. Not this crap again.
              The only reason I get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

My kitchen is Burgandy. I don't apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by GenericEric View Post
                Ah Christ.. Not this crap again.
                What about it?
                '07 SV1000S
                Power Commander III USB
                M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                Driven 520 chain kit
                Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

There is a good write up in the new motorcyclist magazine about some of the 650cc motorcycles. The gsx650f is one of them. They say it is an alright bike, but not true sports bike. They give the speed triple and the Kawi Versys better marks. You can probably find some reviews of the FZ6 to compare. What type of bike are you looking for? You have chosen one fully faired bike, and one "naked" bike. Let us know so we can help some more.

Comment

cross post...
                    So, I went into a dealer that I know was going to give me a good trade in (3200), $6600OTD (3400 net). He had a black and silver GSX650F. After talking and contemplating it I put a deposit on a cobalt blue FZ6. The OTD price he gave me was the same for both, but I would need to install the center stand accessory. Plus, the dealer and others have mentioned that Yamaha's quality is marginally better - don't know. And, since most of my riding is to work in the city and out, I thought to myself that the extra protection the Suzuki offers from wind will be negligible for me in the city, but the extra weight in slow speed may or may not. Lastly, the FZ6 forum is very active with lots of support. The newest FZ6 has been out since '07 and has been perfected. The GSX just came out and although it is based on the Bandit 650S, it remains to be seen how it will do in US roads (horrible!). Also, I would need to drill the plastic fairing to put a frame slider in order to protect the fairing(???) Anyway...decided to go with the Yamaha. Thank you all for your help. I am sure both bikes are great.
                    Dani

FZ6S2 - Comes in the US only with half fairing. If I'd want a naked for pure city use I would get the SV650 (I think...)

Comment

I really liked my FZ6. I used it to do my Iron Butt ride (1,767 miles in 32 hours). I can't say enough about its comfort, quality, versatility, and bang for the buck.

Here's the only critical thing I'd have to add about the Yamaha... I know I sound like a broken record, but I really didn't like the throttle-body service interval on the FZ6. I can't remember exactly, but it was something like every 7K miles (as well as during the break-in service). I like to do my own maintenance, and it was just a hassle. The worst part is that you couldn't get away with ignoring it, because the throttle got real mushy and unresponsive after a while. That's why I am asking about the throttle-body synch interval on the GSX650F in another thread.

Comment

Is that true for the '07+ fuel injected and remapped FZ6S2 also? I don't know how often the throttle body interval needs servicing. I am not very mechanically inclined and could probably only do limited maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani View Post
                          Is that true for the '07+ fuel injected and remapped FZ6S2 also? I don't know how often the throttle body interval needs servicing. I am not very mechanically inclined and could probably only do limited maintenance.
                          I don't know about the remapping.

Throttle body synch isn't hard, it's just a p.i.t.a.. To get under the tank on the FZ6 you have to remove the dash plastic. The first few times you do this it's a major struggle.

Comment

I owned an FZ6 and put 1500 miles on it before I traded it in for an R6s.
                            I liked how light the bike was but everything else to me was garbage. The brakes were barely there, the seating position was way too high up for me, the throttle was very touchy, and the transmission was very clunky. Other then that the bike was a jack of all trades it just wasn't to my liking.

Comment

Was it the FZ6S2 model or the pre 2007 model? The transmission was improved for 2007 and so were the brakes. Although, you are the first one from all the articles that I read that said the brakes were not so good. Anyway, I'll post something when I get my bike.
                              Dani

Comment

Working...
                              X