X

The bulb Gods have let me down.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bulb Gods have let me down.

So I got caught riding in a very bad thunderstorm last week. Had to pull over under a underpass and wait out the worst of it so I could see where I was going. I ended up making it home after a few close calls. The next day I ride to work and turn on the right turn signal. It illuminates and stays lit. Once I got back home I pulled the turnsignal off and drained out the water that leaked into it. Looked at the bulb only to find that it had gotten wet and exploded. So whats the first things anyone does but to go and try and find a bulb to replace it with. I look at the markings on the bulb only to discover there is no actual bulb number on the bulb. All it says is 12v 23w. I take the bulb to auto zone, advanced auto and napa with no results. Everyone looks at me like I have found the a long lost artifact. Auto zone has something similar to the bulb I need but it is a clear bulb and I need a amber one. I thought about trying to find the little bulb condoms that slip over the bulb changing the color. No luck. Anyone run into the exotic 12v 23w bulb in their lifetime. Don't have any pics but it is a small bulb one of the push in turn to lock in to place types. It has a pointed tip on the end of it. I don't want to have to buy new signals to fix this problem. I was thinking of trying a camper or rv store as I sorta remember a pop up camper having a similar bulb in it before.

Go online. In the amount of time it will take you to find it locally, you can have one come to you. There are plenty of places including bulbs.com.

Here's a good place to start:

Our Experts Have Been Brightening Lives by Reviewing Aftermarket Motorcycle Lights For Over 20 Years Welcome to the webBikeWorld Motorcycle Lighting Reviews index! This is the directory of motorcycle lighting and auxiliary light reviews. It also includes motorcycle LED light reviews, motorcycle headlight reviews, motorcycle brake light reviews. Also reviews of headlight modulators, LED brake lights, brake light flashers, high-powered halogen, Xenon and HID bulbs and more. With a little bit of research, you’ll be able to make a much better […]

=USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I had to go to cycle gear to get the bulbs for mine. try a local stealership.

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
        I had to go to cycle gear to get the bulbs for mine. try a local stealership.
        +1 on Cycle Gear. I went all over Austin trying to find what it sounds like you're describing and Cycle Gear found one in about 10 seconds.

Long Live the D

Comment

Stock bulbs? I was pretty sure those were common.
          Amber ones might be hard though. If you have after market lights good luck, 99% of the time these are only available from motorcycle sites. At $4 a pop *grumble*

Comment

no they are not stock or I am sure I wouldn't be facing this problem. If they really are $4 a bulb I might as well just get new friggen turn signals. I mean at that price after buying a few spare backup bulbs I could have already bought new turnsignals. I will continue my quest for the elusive bulb. I think I probably have a better chance finding a el chupa cabre. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Try Cycle Gear first. I'm willing to bet they'll have your bulb for less than $4.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver
                I think I probably have a better chance finding a el chupa cabre. Thanks for the replies.
                Chupacabra?? In PA?
                Dennis Kirk probably has those bulbs.
                I had one burn out on my LPs a week after fitting them
                Thats why I went LED..

Comment

The bulb that was in there was non-standard or you have dyslexia. Front blinkers take an 1156 standard bulb; blinkers with integrated running lights, and rear brake bulb is an 1157 bulb. Both are available at any auto parts store; the 1156 is standard reverse and blinker bulb on virtually every car on the market.

Stock draw on an 1156 bulb is 21 watts at 12 volts.
                  Stock draw on a 1157 bulb is 5 watts as running lights, 21 watts as blinker or brake light.

WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE:
                  Halogen-based blinker bulbs (over 30 watts); among other things, they can build enough heat to warp the plastics AND will overload the wiring. There are 50 watt 1156 bulbs out there -- avoid them.
                  You also want to avoid "Beeper" bulbs (which beep whenever they flash), because the beeper also draws extra power (example: http://mhc.dealerstore.net/script/ne...tegory_id=1020).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    The bulb that was in there was non-standard or you have dyslexia.
                    Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Stock bulbs?
                    no they are not stock or I am sure I wouldn't be facing this problem.
                    Yer slipping dude...

Comment

Could be. Plumbing stuff on the mind... gotta go finish plumbing in the new water heater.

Either way, if the receptacle is still stock, 1156 is the answer.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh wait, I think I just saw chuppy, nah it was only a sloth.

Comment

Oh wait, I think I just saw chuppy, nah it was only a sloth.
                          Hey!! We south westerners take that seriously!!!

Comment

Hm well I can't use sasquatch as he is already on this forum..whats the name of that winged creature? j/k thanks for the replies I will see if I can make something work without shorting the entire bike out. Wonder if a stock bulb will fit in a aftermarket signal?

Comment

Can you snap a shot of the bulb socket?

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X