No announcement yet.
X

Working on wifes 1990 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are correct. I apologise. It was honest mistake because i mostly tune and fix cars.

But this is starting to be really annoying... It seems like no one have helical basket. I am really frustrated at this point because it should have been simple job and it turns out that obtaining a simple part as used basket is almost impossible. Not to mention that it takes up much needed space im my garage.

Where is the engine number stamped?

Comment

Right side of the engine. I would buy a complete basket assembly and clutch pack at this point, that's just me. My bike is a bit of a mut at this point. 88-06 is basically the same engine. But, lets run the engine number first.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

This is what I have stamped on the right side: 706-100687

No letters. Just those numbers.

Comment

Ok. Thats it!

I will trash this engine and buy normal engine. I have spend about 20 hours in search for that damn basket and that time alone is worth more than whole engine. There is just no point to continue spending any more time on that search.

the funniest thing is that whoever I ask about basket, they all have (or had at some point) basket with straight teeths and claim that they never seen helical in katana.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          I would buy a complete basket assembly and clutch pack at this point, that's just me.
          I would too.
          The problem is same as with the basket. All clutches I have found had straight teeths at flywheel.

This is the engine number that needs to be avoided:

Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Bandit motor? Pics may help
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Is there anything specific that I need to take a picture?

Engine dont have cam cover, oil pan and clutch so I am not sure what to take photo of.

Comment

Side view. Your engine number doesn't match to Suzuki. There should be some letters. Every clutch basket that i checked for Suzuki, is not helical. It may be some odd part that was thrown in there.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Nothing odd is thrown in there.
                  Everything is stock and it really is Katana engine. It has some strange engine number but it is Katana engine.

About helical issue... Please do me a favour and check flywheels on 1988 and 1989 Katanas. If my research (more like noticing a pattern) is right, helical flywheel was exclusive for those first two years. I suppose that after that Suzuki realised that same job can be done by cheaper straight teeths.

And just for the sake of discussion I will make a photos you requested. I will try to do it now but its 9pm here so those might be a bit dark.
                  Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-25-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

There we go... Photos are dark but it is visible that this is Katana engine.

Comment

ok.... some info for you. the 88-91 clutch assembly is the same, including the "primary gear assembly" part # 21200-19813. in 1992 the clutch changed including the "primary gear assembly" part # 22721-17d02. if it was helical or not, I couldn't say. is it interchangeable, I couldn't say.
                      Here is a link and a part number for the assembly and all clutch parts. http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/s...-model-j-k-l-m
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

According to this link you have provided that is not correct. From what I can see only thing that was changed is "upgrade" of generator wheel and some other components for all models up to 1996 at least.

Compare assembly lists from '88 and '96 and you will see that those are identical. Unless I am looking something wrong.

The problem with helical flywheel is that it cannot be easily replaced with straight teeths because pair gear is basically molded on crankshaft. So if one would like to switch from helical to straight (or other way arround) he would need different outer basket and different crankshaft at least. Cost of parts and manual labour will exceed price of already "upgraded" engine by far so its better to just replace whole engine.

What bothers me is that everyone lists same parts for engines that I am sure have different parts and worst thing is that I dont Know the reason for such practice.

Check this out:
                        1988:

1989:

And the rest:

Now can someone please explain me how catalogue part number can be listed identical for all those years when its obvious that those are different and non interchangeable parts?
                        Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-25-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

there you go.....
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

please don't use Ebay as your reference. most don't know what they are selling. they may have been removed from an 88,89,90,91 or what ever frame with a replacement motor. nobody selling is going to verify that the part removed from a gutted engine is actually period correct.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I usually dont but I did in this case because all baskets from '88 and '89 are helical and all others (which are post '91) are not. Pattern is so exact that it cant be coincidence or a mistake.
                              Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I have finally manage to source the basket so I am expecting to finish bike in next three days.

Also, when i was looking for more leftover pieces in the engine I have found this. Does anyone knows from where that fell out?

Its 2cm in diameter and hole is 1cm.

While I was waiting for the basket I cleaned and painted the engine.

Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X