X

Carb woes no more

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb woes no more

So 18 months ago the flying banana (gsxf 750 fw) decided to die on me. Something electrical apparently. So fast forwards to April of this year and I decided to do something about it.
    New side stand switch - didn't fix it
    New starter relay - ha! Fixed it (nope, still runs like a bag of spanners)
    This is after a full carb rebuild kit is installed, tappets adjusted etc etc.
    No 4 cyclinder wont fire, so managed to source two new coils (the old lady is nearly 20 and would appreciate a spark upgrade) - that didn't do the trick either.
    Balanced the carbs and hey presto runs lovely - till the tank goes on, and back to No4 not running at all.
    So now a new fuel tap goes on - problem solved? - nope still crap.
    Then the penny drops. The last inlet pipe (on No4 cylinder) for balancing the carbs has no cap - one cap sourced from the bowels of the shed and yehaaaa! - sorted.
    So I've had the old girl for 15 years and she has never given me any trouble till now, but boy did I learn loads about problem solving.
    Can't wait to take her out for a wee spin in the sunny highlands at the weekend
    Summer has finally arrived ( for me at least)
    Roll on the summer !!!

Glad you got her going again! Rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by HIGHLANDER View Post
      So 18 months ago the flying banana (gsxf 750 fw) decided to die on me. Something electrical apparently. So fast forwards to April of this year and I decided to do something about it.
      New side stand switch - didn't fix it
      New starter relay - ha! Fixed it (nope, still runs like a bag of spanners)
      This is after a full carb rebuild kit is installed, tappets adjusted etc etc.
      No 4 cyclinder wont fire, so managed to source two new coils (the old lady is nearly 20 and would appreciate a spark upgrade) - that didn't do the trick either.
      Balanced the carbs and hey presto runs lovely - till the tank goes on, and back to No4 not running at all.
      So now a new fuel tap goes on - problem solved? - nope still crap.
      Then the penny drops. The last inlet pipe (on No4 cylinder) for balancing the carbs has no cap - one cap sourced from the bowels of the shed and yehaaaa! - sorted.
      So I've had the old girl for 15 years and she has never given me any trouble till now, but boy did I learn loads about problem solving.
      Can't wait to take her out for a wee spin in the sunny highlands at the weekend
      Summer has finally arrived ( for me at least)
      Glad it's running again, makes me feel a little less bad now than when I thought I had a problem with number 4 when tuning only to fine I'd not plugged the vacuum from carb 4 running off an aux tank. 🙂 sadly this was far from the first things I checked to solve it! Live n learn n all that!

Comment

Working...
      X