X

RPM's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM's

I recently bought my first Kat ('98 750) and I was wondering what RPM a stock Kat runs at 65 mph. I have suspicions that the sprockets were changed out on mine and the previous owner neglected to tell me. I'm running @ 4600 RPM's at 65MPH.

Mine is at 6,000 at 70 mph. Mine however is a 600.

Comment

really? my 02 600 runs 5500rpm at 70mph. i've been wondering if that's stock or not. anyone else?

Comment

Look at the rear sprocket, it should have the number of teeth on it.

Pop the countershaft cover and look at the front sprocket, count the teeth and boom now you know

4600 @ 65mph sounds really low
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm running roughly 4500 at 100kmph (62.5mph) so that's pretty close.

Comment

Time out here, 65 indicated is going to be at the same RPM on a 98+ regardless of the gearing because the speed signal is sent off the driveshaft of the transmission. You could put a 12-80 gear ratio on the sprockets, and without a speed-o-healer or some such critter, the speedo is still going to show 65MPH@4600RPM.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

my 98 750 runs 4500~4700 rpm at aprox 100kph (63mph) with stock gearing

Thats how I never try to shirt to 7th I just look at my tach speedo, if im under 5000 rpm at 100 I know im in 6th
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Time out here, 65 indicated is going to be at the same RPM on a 98+ regardless of the gearing because the speed signal is sent off the driveshaft of the transmission. You could put a 12-80 gear ratio on the sprockets, and without a speed-o-healer or some such critter, the speedo is still going to show 65MPH@4600RPM.
                DOH! Good catch
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thought I was the only "Graves" in the world.....

My 02 600 turns 6300 @70mph....14/50
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    that doesnt count out the fact that the PO may have "healed" the bike before being sold

Comment

All good points. I'm just ball-parking here. This is my first Katana. Thanks, all, for the input.

Comment

Pre 98 and 98+ have the same stock sprockets and I don't see why the gearing should be different. I think in 5th its the tach (drop the decimal by 2) + 30% +/- 5%. Mine is 5% high.. (GPS)

So 5000 RPM (drop the 00) = (50 + 30%(50 X .30 = 15)) 65 MPH +/- 3 MPH..

Comment

Working...
                        X