X

Bike idles at 2500 RPM's & won't come back to 1200 RPM's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike idles at 2500 RPM's & won't come back to 1200 RPM's

When I first start up the bike and it's warmed up, it idles perfectly at about 11-1200 RPMs. But after I ride and come to a stop, it idles high at 2500 RPMs. Once in a while, it will go back down to 1200, but mostly not. My throttle cable is not sticking. Is this a known problem with Kats? Does the Kat have a throttle position sensor that may cause this? Is this normal? This is my first Kat, so I don't know enough about them to know any better, but it concerns me.
    I ride an 04 GSX600F.

Checked the choke cable...?
    Too old to dream, too young to reason...
    I am fond of my rough edges.
    sigpic

Comment

I did not check the choke cable. But let me tell you what it did ONE time. When I brought the bike out of the garage in the morning before work and was warming it up, I had the choke all the way on. Then I started it and let it run. I was putting on my helmet when the bike reved up to almost 4000 RPMs before I got to it and let off the choke. Then it went down to 1100 RPMs where it's supposed to idle. I'm guessing it was running for about a minute when it reved up like that. I don't know how high it would have gone.

Comment

It happens, been there done that
        Too old to dream, too young to reason...
        I am fond of my rough edges.
        sigpic

Comment

SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME!!

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
          and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Comment

I adjusted my idle screw on the left hand side inside one of the fairing holes (black plastic knob the size of a quarter). You have to press down and turn to the left to make it go down. Just make sure it is nice and warmed up before doing so (after riding for around 10 minutes or so). That might take care of it.

Comment

my 99 600 does the exact same thing. right after its warmed up it idles fine when i drive it the rpms sit at 2500 and rarley drop down. i thought about adjusting the idle screw. but when its idleing at 2500 and i adjust the screw for it to idle at 1200 what is the bike gonna do right after its warmed up previously idleing at 1200 or when the rpms do decid eto drop ( am i making sense?) if i get my bike back together ( see my post i was gonna put some tracron and high detergent fuel in there and see if that will fix it.
              99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
              06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
              06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
              lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Since the choke is not a "on off switch", it would be normal to have to adjust it gradually to the full off position as it warms up. You could also just learn how to keep a slight twist on the throttle while it warms to the point where it idles on its own. In any event your idle should be final adjusted after the engine is fully warm on a normally warm day after riding at least 5 to 10 miles.

Comment

+1

you have to let the bike sufficiently warm up before you can correctly adjust the idle
                  92 GSXF750
                  83 nighthawk

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions with the idle screw. I'll give it a shot, and try to idle it down once I'm fully warmed up. I only have one concern. If I lower the idle when she's hot, so it idles at 1100, what will that do to the idle cold when I go to first start it up in the am? Tell ya what, I'll play with the idle tomorrow, and post my results.

I already know that my carbs are out of sync, and I plan on fixing that probably after the summer. It runs excellent, except for the idle problem. Do you think that my carbs being out of sync will have a play in the idle issue?

Comment

Out of synch carbs will affect idle to some degree. As for the idle hot vs. cold. Doesnt matter when you initially start it with the choke, Once the bike warms, it'll be at the correct idle.
                      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

After I adjusted my idle screw, the bike only goes up to 2500 RPM's with the choke fully on when I first start it. It stays there unless I give it throttle (it will go up), so I'm not worried.

Comment

Working...
                        X