X

Battery Dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Dead

Hi, I just picked up a 2000 Katana 600 on Saturday. When I picked it up, the sales rep started it up no problem. Shut it off, came back an hour later, started it up and rode it into the trailer I brought to haul it back to NY. When I got home, I couldn't start it. I thought it was maybe because I had the petcock in the wrong direction (the label had been removed so I didn't know what was on, reserve or off). But I confirmed the petcock settings and I still can't get the thing started.

I notice that after a few mintues, the lights on the controls begin to fade, as well as the headlights. Obviously, I'm thinking charge the battery. But given the fact that it was turning over a few days ago, and now just doesn't, it might not hold a charge and a new battery might be best.

Any advice?
    The Armor of God - Never leave home without it!

On a related note - I'm trying to see how many digits the odometer has so I can register it. On a Kat 600, how many digits does the odometer read, not including tenths of a mile.

That way I can at least get it registered while I work out this battery issue.

Thanks!

Comment

dead battery, or wrong key position?

When u turn off the bike and lock it, don't go to the parking light click, which turns on the third eye and the taillight. Or you end up like I did two days ago and have to jump start it.

Comment

Sounds like one of two things:

1. You got hosed on the battery in the bike. Sometimes shops charge it up, knowing full well its dead or dying, and it would hold a charge for an hour.

2. You left something on while traveling and drained the battery.

3. You have an electrical drain in the system somewhere.

No matter what, charge it and check the amps. If it won't hold a charge, see # 1.

If it does, see # 2.

If it dies in about 2-4 days, see # 3.

8)
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Special K - Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.

KATANA_J1ZR - Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Re: Battery Dead

Originally posted by Santiago
            Hi, I just picked up a 2000 Katana 600 on Saturday. When I picked it up, the sales rep started it up no problem. Shut it off, came back an hour later, started it up and rode it into the trailer I brought to haul it back to NY. When I got home, I couldn't start it. I thought it was maybe because I had the petcock in the wrong direction (the label had been removed so I didn't know what was on, reserve or off). But I confirmed the petcock settings and I still can't get the thing started.

I notice that after a few mintues, the lights on the controls begin to fade, as well as the headlights. Obviously, I'm thinking charge the battery. But given the fact that it was turning over a few days ago, and now just doesn't, it might not hold a charge and a new battery might be best.

Any advice?
            I'm having almost somewhat of the same problem too so Im looking into doing the pointers I got from Specail K

Comment

I'm having almost somewhat of the same problem too so Im looking into doing the pointers I got from Specail K
              Sweet (that you found Special K's tips), sorry to hear all we can both do is look at 'em

Feel free to post on this thread how it worked out

Comment

On a related note - I'm trying to see how many digits the odometer has so I can register it. On a Kat 600, how many digits does the odometer read, not including tenths of a mile.
                Almost forgot, can somebody tell me about the odometer? I'm guessing it's 5, but I don't want to mess with the DMV!

Comment

Re: dead battery, or wrong key position?

Originally posted by KATANA_J1ZR
                  When u turn off the bike and lock it, don't go to the parking light click, which turns on the third eye and the taillight. Or you end up like I did two days ago and have to jump start it.
                  good point.if you turn it a little to far you will drain the batt.

Comment

Buy a voltmeter. They are cheap. Best to spend a bit more for one with a 10-15 amp meter.

If when cranking your battery voltage drops much below 12v than charge the battery.

With the engine running and the voltmeter across the terminals you should have higher than 12v. You will need to bring up the rpms a bit. This will give you a fair idea if your charging system is working.

With the engine and key switch off disconnect the negative battery terminal and put the voltmeter between the wire and terminal. Positive meter lead to the wire and negative meter lead to the post. If you have a 12v reading than you have something drawing current with the bike off. You need an amp meter to determine if its a serious draw or just a low milliamp draw from something that will not drain a battery in such a low amount of time.

You can pick up a voltmeter with 10-15 amp meter from wal-mart for $30

Comment

I replaced the battery and that did the trick. She cranked right over!!!

Thanks to all for their suggestions, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Santiago
                        Almost forgot, can somebody tell me about the odometer? I'm guessing it's 5, but I don't want to mess with the DMV!
                        LCD, Flash-ram based, will count up to 99,999 miles and then stop. No user-method that I know of to reset it. Flash ram sits inside the instument gauges; replace the gauge panel and you will display the mileage from the donor bike that had the gauges before.

For others with charging system problems, I suggest you check my Motorcycle Battery & Charging System Diagnostics page.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CyberPoet - Thanks for the info and link. I got the answer to my odometer question after swapping the battery. I appreciate the info and documentation you supply, I've been saving your threads for any future issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X