X

Is it the battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the battery?

This probably could have gone in the mechanics section but I was hoping for a faster response. Mods move this thread if necessary. Well to start off my bike won't start right now. I commute on the weekends and occasionally go for rides during the week. The bike starts up every time without any problems. Now for some hhistory. My choke cabel seized and I rode with the choke on to work and back about 40 mile round trip. Good one, I know. So I d/c the cable and continued the ride the bike with 2 fouled plugs for about aother 3 days. Figured out the plugs needed to be changed and did that. When I put the new plugs in, I accidently disconnected the fuel line from the petcock. So I drained the battery trying to start the bike with no fuel. When the battery died I jumped it and continued to start it for a few hours before I realized the fuel line was not on. When I put the fuel line back on, I jumped it off my truck and it finally started. Took it for a spin and everything was good. Started riding ti to work again and it ran great. Also I had it in the driveway couple days after that and out of the frikkin blue it started raining so my bike sat in about an hour long shower. Then next day I went out to go to work and start the bike and it cranked over like 2 times and died. It hasn't ever done that before. So I took the truc to work that day and when I got home I tried to jump it off. The lights were barely on they were so dim. I could barely get it to crank over. The truck has a brand new battery in it litterally I bought it like a week ago. I figured it would jump it off easily but no juice to the bike at all. Rechecked the jumper cable connections and no juice. BTW I got a new battery put in when I bought the bike a year ago and I rode it all year. So did the battery take a crap or could it be something else?

Who needs a battery? Just push start! We could all use the exercise...
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I cant push start it. Ive tried. Maybe due to the cluch having to be engaged.

Comment

Batteries don't really last all that long on bikes. The vibes and heat can kill one off pretty quickly, especially with an Austin summer.
        You should be able to push start it. Clutch in, second gear, get some speed, clutch out.
        Or buy a new battery.

Long Live the D

Comment

Thats what Ive been told about texas summers. I tried to push start it with my truck and no luck. Just really bad transmission sounds. Guess its a new battery for the Kat. Thanks

Comment

You tried to push start it with your truck....??

Anyways, get the battery tested at an auto parts store to see if it's holding a charge before you just go buy a new one, that'd what'd I'd do first, its free, and it takes like 5 or 10 minutes. But my guess is it's the battery.
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Was the truck running when you tried to jump it ?
              I had to jump mine a couple weeks ago (left heated grips on ) , and the donor battery was pretty grimy at the posts , so had to work a bit to get a good connection ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

OH YES the truck was running. I never jump another without it running. And the battery was in brand new condition. No leakage, and the "eye" said it was still good. But it was dragging every time I started it. Put a new one in and starts up perfect. Anyways I am getting a new battery for the bike as we speak.

Comment

I thought you shouldn't jump a bike with the car/truck running.

Most of the O'Rielly's here stock my pre98's battery and will test your old one for you as well.

Long Live the D

Comment

I thought you always jump another while running....Oriellys didn't have mine in stock. They yould have to order. 7-10 bus days.

Comment

7 - 10 days? Ouch. I'm sure some other parts store in your area will stock your type. What part are you in anyway?

As for jumping a bike with a car or truck, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave the car off.

Long Live the D

Comment

Try looking for the battery in Walmart, that's where I got mines. It's been working just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by CHERRYKAT600
                          I thought you always jump another while running....Oriellys didn't have mine in stock. They yould have to order. 7-10 bus days.
                          keep the boost vehicle off...not a good idea to have it running.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Sounds like the battery is fried.
                            Around here, Carquest stocks the batteries for the Kat. I am not sure about Autozone though. I have also heard that Wally World does too.

I will say it even though you already know it. NEVER ride the Kat with the choke engaged. If you can't turn that choke off, deadline it until you get it repaired.
                            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Well I got a battery from batteries plus. Walmart had them but they needed the acid to be poured and then charged overnight. I don't have a charger so I was looking for one that was ready to go and sealed. NTB didn;t carry them either. Anyways I put the battery in last night as it was getting dark and she fired right up no probs. Went for a cruise around the Parmer/Metric area and rode to work this morning with no problems. Damn batteries. Had to repalce both my vehicles batteries in the last 2 weeks. Thanks everybody for the fast responses.

BTW I'm in Pflugerville and work in east Austin.

Comment

Working...
                              X