Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Kickstand Spring Source? %*#%ing kill switch...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstand Spring Source? %*#%ing kill switch...

This damn kill switch is about to do just that, kill me- the kickstand is securely mounted and its bolts are tight but the damn spring is so loose that the kickstand can bounce a little on harder bumps, which causes the stupid kickstand kill switch to activate, and kills the motor - mid whatever the hell I'm doing. it did it the other day and the buck when it did nearly threw me over the damn bars!

Losing ignition at sixty is no fun, either.

Since wear/tear is an issue with this item, i'm presented with the challenge of where the hell to get a new one since a junkyard spring is not an option.

What have you used to fix the spring tension of your kickstand?
    Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
    Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
    2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Replace the spring or close off the switch by bypassing the kickstand kill
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

Comment

Ideally I'd like to replace the spring, but thanks for restating my options.

I -could- bypass the killswitch, but that prevents it from actually being useful when it's supposed to be, helping prevent the bike from going somewhere if I forget I left it running in gear or tried to start it in gear, for whatever reason. I'd rather not hack up the bike more than I already have electrically.

Where can I find (read: source) a replacement spring, since I can't get a used one from the junkyard, because a junkyard spring will be worn out?
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
        Ideally I'd like to replace the spring, but thanks for restating my options.

I -could- bypass the killswitch, but that prevents it from actually being useful when it's supposed to be, helping prevent the bike from going somewhere if I forget I left it running in gear or tried to start it in gear, for whatever reason. I'd rather not hack up the bike more than I already have electrically.

Where can I find (read: source) a replacement spring, since I can't get a used one from the junkyard, because a junkyard spring will be worn out?
        It seems to me I saw some that fit at Ace Hardware. Of course Suzuki would work as well. Any machine shop can make springs as well.
        My YouTube Videos
        My motorcyle map!

Comment

Wow, you guys are going through a lot of hassle for like $10 in parts.

Order from a dealer or go to BikeBandit or RonAyers. My sidestand springs for my 93 600 were like $8 from Suzuki...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Order from a dealer or go to BikeBandit or RonAyers. My sidestand springs for my 93 600 were like $8 from Suzuki...
            Suzuki offers them?
            After hearing the $400 pricetag for a starter motor I was kind of dissuaded from looking at Suzuki as a source for anything, especially an old bike like mine where everything'll be disco'd.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

And there you have it.
              My YouTube Videos
              My motorcyle map!

Comment

Suzuki offers them?
                They did years ago when I had my Katana, but then again those were the sidestand springs, I never had a center stand

Check bikebandit or ronayers
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you can't find them let me knnow. I think I have some somewhere.
                  When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Ive got a variety of a thousand or so springs at work. Ill match one with my bike and ill give you a few extra. Ill let you know tomorrow
                    2002 yzf600r 35k, 98 katana 750 black 49k, 95 cobra blown

Comment

This damn kill switch is about to do just that, kill me- the kickstand is securely mounted and its bolts are tight but the damn spring is so loose that the kickstand can bounce a little on harder bumps, which causes the stupid kickstand kill switch to activate, and kills the motor - mid whatever the hell I'm doing. it did it the other day and the buck when it did nearly threw me over the damn bars!

Losing ignition at sixty is no fun, either.

Since wear/tear is an issue with this item, i'm presented with the challenge of where the hell to get a new one since a junkyard spring is not an option.

What have you used to fix the spring tension of your kickstand?
                      a quick simple fix .... put a bend in the springs...

Ive done this on hundreds of bikes for customers with permanent results.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        a quick simple fix .... put a bend in the springs...

Ive done this on hundreds of bikes for customers with permanent results.
                        care to elaborate on how to do this?

Comment

care to elaborate on how to do this?
                          I think you just bend the spring back to make it shorter and increase the resistance.
                          http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

On the long part of the spring before the loop use a couple pairs of pliers and put a 35-45 degree bend in the spring.

I did this to my spring 2 years ago a.s well as many customers bikes over the years

ill get a pic if I can tomorrow
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                            X