X

Lost both keys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost both keys

Help! I went to fire up my bike after it being in storage.
    Looked for the keys and cannot find them anywhere.
    If I remove the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith, will they be able to make a key that also fits the tank and seat lock?
    Thanks in advance, Mike.
    The bike is a 93 750 Kat

Sure....happens a lot.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Okay, removed the ignition switch and took it to the locksmith. After the guy made the key, he called me, asking for the tank and seat locks.
      I thought if a key fits the switch it should fit the other 2, right?
      Didn't have a lot of time to talk as the guy called me as I was elbows deep in something at work Friday.
      Got the mostly empty tank and seat lock off so my g/f can take them in tomorrow.
      Hopefully, this won't cost me a fortune.
      Last edited by Mikes93Kat750; 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM. Reason: expounding on question

Comment

I thought that if the key that's made for the ignition fits the other two?
        Maybe I'm wrong, other than to check the fitment, someone can tell me why the locksmith wants the seat lock and gas tank also?

Comment

They should fit but, you may have stumbled on to a through lock smith. Just wants to make sure they all work with the same key.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just talked to the guy today. He said there's different cuts that have to be made to the key to work the other 2 locks. If I had had the key made for the ignition switch, it would work just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes93Kat750 View Post
              Just talked to the guy today. He said there's different cuts that have to be made to the key to work the other 2 locks. If I had had the key made for the ignition switch, it would work just that.
              Not what I've heard and looked at before, but you make me want to investigate more now. My experience has been cut for the ignition, and it matches the rest of the locks that actually use the same setup but less keyways.

Further investigation is needed...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When I was looking for someone to cut me a key, I called a few locksmiths and they all said the same thing about the key working just the switch and that I needed to bring in the bike or the other locks.

Thinking about taking just the switch into another locksmith and having a key cut for just the ignition and seeing if it works the other 2.

If it doesn't, I'll just have it cut to match the other keys I had made and post my findings.
                Last edited by Mikes93Kat750; 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X