X

1988 rear tire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 rear tire?

Was looling for a little input on tire sizing for my 88 600 kat. Just had a Bridgestone Battle Axe bto21 put on today.
    I had a 150/70 17 put on as per what I read on this site but the tire is dimpling along the edge of the tread in 3 places on one side. Whats with that? And does any one know about swaping from a 3.5 inch rim to a 4.00 inch on the rear?

Originally posted by Kanuck Kat View Post
    Was looling for a little input on tire sizing for my 88 600 kat. Just had a Bridgestone Battle Axe bto21 put on today.
    I had a 150/70 17 put on as per what I read on this site but the tire is dimpling along the edge of the tread in 3 places on one side. Whats with that? And does any one know about swaping from a 3.5 inch rim to a 4.00 inch on the rear?

Pictures would be great to see what you mean by "dimpling".

RF600s used a 4.5" rim that should fit right up, with the pre kat stylized curved spokes. You may have to swap the bearings. I do not know if you need to make changes to the spacers.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR
      THE DOC
      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.
      sigpic

Comment

Hrm, wait... you said 88....

Do you have the 3 spoke, or 6 spoke wheels?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hello and welcome
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome to KR! I believe you can swap a 98-01 rear Kat wheel onto your bike to go wide with no mods. Arsenic would know for sure, the wheel bearings changed after that I think.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I got a 6 spoke and thanx for all the welcomes guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanuck Kat View Post
                I got a 6 spoke and thanx for all the welcomes guys.
                I was afraid of that. There isn't an option I'm aware of where you can swap just the rear and still have matching rims.

A 89-97 front rim and the rf600 rear should match up and be usable though.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I have an '88. Welcome.

You are going to have to do some research on this one. As you have discovered, the '88 Kat wheel is narrower than the '89 and up. You should be able to buy a '90-97 wheel and install it with no problem (not sure about '89, it might be the same as '88. Things to think about:
                  1. You will also need a new rotor (different part numbers)
                  2. Your rear will not match the front
                  3. If you upgrade the front too, you will need two new rotors for that

You might want to jump straight to a post 98 wheel. I think its even wider. Be careful with the front, sometime in there (I think it was around 2003) they went to an electronic speedo, so you can't use one of those.

Comment

Working...
                  X