X

1989 600 Removing the exhaust pipes from the Head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 600 Removing the exhaust pipes from the Head

Quick question. I wanted to sandblast my pipes and then have them repainted. Hopefully I can remove the pipes from the heads this weekend but I am wondering. This bike was sitting for 10-13 years in a covered garage and I am assuming I will require penetrating oil. With the Fairings removed - will I be able to access the bolts with out removing the radiator? Is it fairly easy to access the bolts?

I plan to replace the gaskets as well.
    sigpic
    98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
    Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

You should probably be able to get them out, but if you can start the motor and run it to warm everything up that might be useful.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 Heat is your friend, but keep in mind Aluminum hates torches. I would let that penetrating oil soak on it for at least a day. If possible re-apply numerous times throughout day one. REAL generous before bed, then (if it runs) fire it up the next day and let it warm up. I have a Pre6 and I have no problems pulling the headers off without taking anything else off (except the plastics of course). Just use an allen head socket with a 6in extension.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks guys,

That is exactly what I was thinking to do. I bought some sea foam penetrating oil and will apply it tomorrow and wait a day to begin. I plan to sandblast the pipes and then paint with an eventual gloss coat. Appreciate the comments.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow! Update. I used the sea foam penetrating oil and the next day all of the screws turned like butter. I was not ready for that.......Now it is time to sandblast the pipes and paint.

Any suggestions as to what paint to use. I am thinking flat black heat paint with a clear coat cover . All High temp.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X