X

Smokin's 82 Kat Resto project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin's 82 Kat Resto project

So I have an old 82 Katana that's been sitting in the garage in pieces for a few years now, and I finally decided to get after it this past Christmas. I've been documenting on the GS Resources website, but I thought you folks might be interested to see what I've done, as well.

A little background on the bike: I bought it at a garage sale one street over for $200. I took a few photos when I got it home, but they were film and I don't have them available to upload. Suffice to say, it looked like a $200 bike. Fairing was gone, wires hanging out, really bad paint job, spray paint on the motor, screwdrivered ignition switch and gas cap, the whole 9 yards. Cases and fork lowers were thankfully unscathed, but heavily oxidized. A real rough job for sure. But looking deeper revealed steel braided lines F& R, Dyna ignition coils, Muzzy 4-1 pipe (gutted), ATK fork brace, and best of all a Metmachex swingarm.

Here are a few photos after minimal repair to get it roadworthy and replace the fairing:
    t%20Rehab/147_1.jpg[/IMG]

More photos:

So, the first thing I did was strip it all down, then promptly forgot about it, because that winter I bought an 84 750 pop up. I'd wanted a pop up for 20 years, when the opportunity came I jumped on it. Didn't even consult the wife. It was ugly around my house for a week or so.

Anyway, after getting the 750 running good, last Christmas I decided it was time to get after the 82 project. My two main criteria are 1 - Reliable and low maintenance. I never want to have to do this again; it sucks. 2 - Unique and very pretty. Pretty much self explanatory.

The reliable requirement means powdercoat when painted, the low maintenance means NO polishing. I'm just too lazy for that foolishness.

So the first question is: What color?

My original kickstand was tweaked open so the bike leaned wayy over. Additionally, the mounting bolt was stripped as were the threads on the back of the kickstand. My solution: A 1" x 1/2" shoulder bolt with a nylock nut. The boss on the frame had to be drilled out as well to match. Now there is absolutely no slop:

Wheels were next:
    New bearings where necessary, old ones that were still smooth and tight were clushed and repacked with high temp bearing grease, new bolts with loc-tite were used to install the rotors:

Then it was time to get after the rear swingarm. This meant new grease in the roller bearings. These are low speed bearings and they only see about 30 degrees of rotation so I used white lithium grease. Should be okay:

I',m probably skipping alot of steps here - sorry.
    My next set of photos involves the front master cylinder - it was pretty grungy.
    Long story short it got fresh powdercoat, new master kit, and new sight glass.
    Before:

After:

Fork brace after pwdercoat:

Backside of electrickery panel:

Iginition switch repaired - this shows the old and new face:

Here we have a rolling chassis:

Control center:

Elelctrics panel:

Rear brake:

Rear swinger:

Front of the swinger:

Front wheel - still need to do some work on the brake lines:

New Reg Rec off a CBR 1000 - this needed some work on the wire terminals, so I soldered on new ring mounts and heat shrunk them to be all purty:

It was too big to fit where the stock one went, so I mounted it on the back side:

Here is the front side: I made a grounding bar out of stainless. The leftmost nylon locking nut mounts a grounding wire that mounts to the frame to the left. The right wire under the socket head cap screw is the Reg/rec ground. I plan to run another grounding wire from the rightmost nylock nut to the battery negative. One other cap screw will ground the wiring harness. This leaves a few mounts for anything else I may need to ground:

The rear seat lock didn't match my ignition key so I drilled out the rollpin that secures the drum and tumbler assy, re keyed it to match my ignition key, then drilled and tapped the rollpin hole to take a 3 mm socket head cap screw:

Engine lower case reassembly - this was not very fun:

And that's about where it stands today - a rolling chassis in the garage waiting for the engine to go back together, carbs to be done, bodywork, and seat reupholster.

Comments?
    Last edited by Smokinapankake; 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Most excellent!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

well first off $200...such a deal you got yourself there. the 82 is a classic bike in my mind and would like to do the same project you are as it was what I had in my early twenties , from the pics you have posted you are certainly going about this project the way I would approach it ground up restore you have done a super job keep posting your progress and thanks for the motivation
      sigpic

Comment

Great Pics and progress!!! I want to do something similar, so keep us posted.

Comment

That is a seriously amazing project you have. I would love to own a machine like that. I just bought an 81 GS 450, its amazing how similiar the wiring is. Im also on GSResources and have heard a lot of switching out the rectifier, what are the advantages?
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Wow...that will be one beautiful machine. Thanks for all the great pics and keep em coming!
            -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
            -My wife

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Its been on my list for a couple years now, I just had had enough of the parts banging around in the garage.

Hemi, as far as the advantages to the replace, not a lot. Supposedly the Honda units are super robust but the new FET controlled reg/recs are the bees knees. Mine had failed due to poor grounds so the stainless ground bar is an attempt to circumnavigate that problem. Check for the reg rec compatibility list on the GSR - Posplayr knows his stuff and there is far more info there than you'll ever need.

Solokat,

I too had one in my 20's (1991 - 1994) and have regretted selling mine from the minute I sold it. I went back and forth about selling, parting, or just fixing it but none of those seemed a good option. So figuring I could spen 3k on a new(er) bike, or 3k ish on the resto of the sexiest motorcycle ever made bar none, well the decision was pretty easy to make.

I'm now on swing shift 5 days a week and weekends my time is usually in high demand so I expect progress to slow down significantly. Nonetheless, I'll keep y'all posted both here and on the GS Resources!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                  Thanks for the compliments guys!

Its been on my list for a couple years now, I just had had enough of the parts banging around in the garage.

Hemi, as far as the advantages to the replace, not a lot. Supposedly the Honda units are super robust but the new FET controlled reg/recs are the bees knees. Mine had failed due to poor grounds so the stainless ground bar is an attempt to circumnavigate that problem. Check for the reg rec compatibility list on the GSR - Posplayr knows his stuff and there is far more info there than you'll ever need.

Solokat,

I too had one in my 20's (1991 - 1994) and have regretted selling mine from the minute I sold it. I went back and forth about selling, parting, or just fixing it but none of those seemed a good option. So figuring I could spen 3k on a new(er) bike, or 3k ish on the resto of the sexiest motorcycle ever made bar none, well the decision was pretty easy to make.

I'm now on swing shift 5 days a week and weekends my time is usually in high demand so I expect progress to slow down significantly. Nonetheless, I'll keep y'all posted both here and on the GS Resources!
                  well my wife is ****ed at you...lol I am bringing this home monday for next winters project it has a 1100 gsxr motor, front suspension, rims discs etc the guy also installed the mono shock on the rear, it will be a bit of work to say the least lol but what the hell it only cost what I would of spent on a good weekend in the day
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Solo,

Looks like a fun project. Would like to do the suspension/wheels thing but I can't really justify the extra expense.

Keep us posted!

Comment

looking good. any idea what the swingarm is from.

Comment

Not into the red, but I do appreciated your attention to detail...keep up the good work! Swingarm almost looks like an early Calfab unit...Ray...any ideas?

Comment

Looks like a Calfab to me too. Ray.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Looks REALLY good!
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Sorry folks, but its not Calfab.
                              Look further across the pond to the UK and find Metmachex. This is an early version with only 1 bolt unlike the revised updated 2 bolt design.

But wait - you say this one has 2 bolts. What gives?

Had a machinist at work make me some new chain adjuster eccentrics after Metmachex quoted me some ridiculous amount for some new ones.

If you look closely at some of the before pics you'll see what I mean....

At this point I'm undecided about bodywork color - torn between a pearl white vs. metallic grey.

Comment

Working...
                              X