X

Busted tranny.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted tranny.

I was working on the 82 project bike yesterday in an effort to finish off all mechanicals and electricals. I thought I might even get in a test ride.

Late in the afternoon, I got the shifter mechanism back on and decided to test the gears. I got one click going down and one click coming back up. That was it. The neutral light stayed on in either position.

This morning I took the linkage off and applied a set of vice grips to see I f I was missing something. Same results. I checked the spare engine and oddly got the same results there. Moving over to the hibernating GS, I was able to get one good click going down and 4 coming up. So I have a busted tranny. Make that 2 as the spare seems to be the same way.

As you may recall, the engine was seized when I got it and I did get it freed up and running but I didn't think to test the tranny then. I guess in my eagerness and excitement about getting it running I just forgot about it ( or hoped it was good....lame I know)

Bottom line now is I need a new tranny or I need to dump this project. It looks like a lot of work and as I've never done one I'm kind of shying away. How difficult is it really and is it worth doing. The bike is complete and in good shape otherwise i.e. powder coated frame, rebuilt forks, brakes, new rubber, repaired and painted bodywork etc.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

I appreciate all input.
    spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    I was working on the 82 project bike yesterday in an effort to finish off all mechanicals and electricals. I thought I might even get in a test ride.

Late in the afternoon, I got the shifter mechanism back on and decided to test the gears. I got one click going down and one click coming back up. That was it. The neutral light stayed on in either position.

This morning I took the linkage off and applied a set of vice grips to see I f I was missing something. Same results. I checked the spare engine and oddly got the same results there. Moving over to the hibernating GS, I was able to get one good click going down and 4 coming up. So I have a busted tranny. Make that 2 as the spare seems to be the same way.

As you may recall, the engine was seized when I got it and I did get it freed up and running but I didn't think to test the tranny then. I guess in my eagerness and excitement about getting it running I just forgot about it ( or hoped it was good....lame I know)

Bottom line now is I need a new tranny or I need to dump this project. It looks like a lot of work and as I've never done one I'm kind of shying away. How difficult is it really and is it worth doing. The bike is complete and in good shape otherwise i.e. powder coated frame, rebuilt forks, brakes, new rubber, repaired and painted bodywork etc.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

I appreciate all input.
    spyug
    I don't think it's as much of a project as you have pictured it being.

yes, it's some work, but from your other posts I think you have more than enough skill to overcome the lack of experiance in doing this specific repair.

I say go for it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I don't think it's as much of a project as you have pictured it being.

yes, it's some work, but from your other posts I think you have more than enough skill to overcome the lack of experiance in doing this specific repair.

I say go for it.

Krey
      Im with Krey. I didnt know what I was doing and I was able to split the case on my 750. Some basic problem solving skills and a good service manual and you will be fine. Its probaly something simple like a shift fork has come loose from the drum or the gear pawl is out of place. You may need a press if it involves replacing gears or bearings, but any compitent machine shop can do that for a small fee.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I'm slightly confused, were you riding it? If not, did you spin the rear wheel before trying the next gear?
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. I feel like a real dweeb as I guess I don't understand how a bike tranny works. As in a bike transmission needs to be turning in order for it to shift ( as Astro eludes).

I posted on the GSR also this morning and a few of the experts quickly pointed out my error and suggested I turn the back wheel while shifting or better yet run the bike and test it when moving.

My best bud, who has a mechanic's ticket told me the same thing when I called him later in the day. With the bike on the lift, I did try it and it now seems right. At least I can find a few more gears maybe when I ride it I'll find the rest of them

I appreciate all your input but I hope I don't need to put it in for major surgery.

Cheers all,
          Spyug

Comment

well thats not what i thought when I saw tranny good luck with it hope it all works out

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. I feel like a real dweeb as I guess I don't understand how a bike tranny works. As in a bike transmission needs to be turning in order for it to shift ( as Astro eludes).

I posted on the GSR also this morning and a few of the experts quickly pointed out my error and suggested I turn the back wheel while shifting or better yet run the bike and test it when moving.

My best bud, who has a mechanic's ticket told me the same thing when I called him later in the day. With the bike on the lift, I did try it and it now seems right. At least I can find a few more gears maybe when I ride it I'll find the rest of them

I appreciate all your input but I hope I don't need to put it in for major surgery.

Cheers all,
              Spyug
              your best bet is to buy the 750 out of my katana in excellent running condition for 250 and i am not far away

Comment

Working...
              X