X

88 katana turn signals won't flash

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 katana turn signals won't flash

I have replaced the flasher rely and they still won't flash , they do come on and get brighter when I turn the flasher on .could this just be a crossed wire?

Are you using the stock bulbs or LEDs? Sounds like you don't have enough load on the flasher to cause it to operate.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Or there's a short somewhere in the wiring...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Could be the wrong bulbs.
        How this system works (sort of, it's the easy to understand version):
        The voltage goes from the battery to the flasher relay.
        From the relay it goes to the switch.
        The switch is either off (duh) or right/left.
        When you turn it to one side or the other the voltage travels to the bulbs.
        The bulbs create resistance in the line, that resistance factored with the voltage means there is XX current in the wires. That current creates heat in the flasher where a contact opens. (turning off the voltage to the bulb)
        Now with no voltage thus no current the flasher cools, and closes the contacts turning on the bulb.
        Repeat.
        If the resistance is too low, like when you have a bulb burned out the current increases heating up the flasher faster. That is why if you have a bulb burned out the turn signals go double time. Or if you have LED signals (LEDs have almost no resistance)
        What I suggest is that you unplug one turn signal. See what happens. If there is no change Then unplug both and see how your dash board indicator reacts.

Now you say they get "brighter" I'm guessing you mean the rears?
        There are two filaments in those bulbs, a 12 watt (running) and a 27 (or higher? turn) one. So the turn is brighter than the "running" light.

Comment

HFX, please know that the VINTAGE Kats are NOT the air/oil cooled GSXR type engine Kats. They are AIR cooled Kats base on the GS engines. Thanks, Ray.
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Pretty close though.. 1985 is vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              If the resistance is too low, like when you have a bulb burned out the current increases heating up the flasher faster.
              wait. what?

Bulb burns out, filament opens, equivalent resistance increases, current decreases

no?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                How this system works (sort of, it's the easy to understand version):
                Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
                wait. what?

Bulb burns out, filament opens, equivalent resistance increases, current decreases

no?
                Yes, but harder to explain.. IMO..

Comment

wires crossed

did you replace a blinker ? My 88 won't blink if one of wires are crossed, try switching the lead...

Comment

Working...
                  X