Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

When to adjust valve clearances (mileage intervals)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to adjust valve clearances (mileage intervals)

Guys I've searched and searched but I've not found the answer, so apologies if I've missed the 'already covered it' answer:

At what mileage intervals should the valves be adjusted on my 2003 600FY Kat? It's done just over 14000 miles (I've had it for the last 4000) and the guys at the service shop insist they need doing now, but they want £300 to do the service (around $600 I guess!). Obviously I don't want to spend this sort of money unless it's absolutely necessary.

What would be the likely consequence of 'leaving it' until the I've got this sort of money to throw away?
    Inforad - one in the eye for the Gatso Brigade!

in kms

1000km
    12000kms
    24000kms
    etc etc

miles

600?
    7500miles
    15000miles
    etc etc

oh and for $600 go buy a service manual $50+ and some basic tools and do it yourself and spend the other 4 or $500 left over on tires or something.
    Kyle

Comment

Yeah, I think you're right Kyle. My mate is just about finishing his lock-up ready to do his bikes there, so I think I'll be knocking on his door with my tools under my arm and the pdf manual on my PDA (I've nowhere undercover to do it myself.)
      I've never done anything like valves before, even on a car so I'm probably worrying more than I need to Still, I've got 1000 miles to summon up the courage to potentially bugger-up my pride and joy
      Inforad - one in the eye for the Gatso Brigade!

Comment

you have screw type valves, it's really easy.

Comment

Working...
        X