X

Rubber isolation for Rear Pegs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber isolation for Rear Pegs?

This spring the wife and I our planning to take a few trips with friends on my Kat 600. In the past we have had a problem with vibrations in the rear pegs at any speeds over 50mph. It will make her feet go numb. I see they are not rubber isolated like the front pegs. Are they any after market rear pegs that protect from vibrations better than the stock ones? Stock ones are just bolted to the frame which is ridiculous.

Thanks!

I'm following this post.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Why not get longer bolts and some rubber and create your own isolation pads? Should be that hard to do.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
        Why not get longer bolts and some rubber and create your own isolation pads? Should be that hard to do.
        I was thinking about that, just wanted to see if there was any good looking aftermarket options first I am sure that would help a little, it would be worth a shot if I can't find anything else.

Comment

I don't think there is another option. Most places I've seen only sell the pegs themselves, not the mount brackets.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

That’s a good point about the mounts. I guess I’ll have to try to DYI method and get her some Gel inserts for her shoes LOL

Comment

Yeah gel inserts for shoes, or shoes with thicker soles should do the trick.
              Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Where art tho Cyberpoet???
                It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Have a cobbler (shoemaker-type dude) attach some soft rubber soles to her boots , too . And maybe wrap the pegs in some of that rubber dip stuff just to see what happen ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

your wife has my sympathies. solid metal pegs suck ass.
                    I hate them with a passion.....as far as comfort is concerned. They look 10x better than huge pegs with rubber, but they are very uncomfortable. Personally, I chose ugly over having my feet go numb.

My suggestion would be to swap them for different pegs.
                    I have a spare set that came off the gs550 donor bike I used. you are welcome to them if you want to pay the postage.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland
                      Where art tho Cyberpoet???
                      Since he doesn't state what year Kat 600 he has, I have no clue what to tell him. The 98+ Kats have a stock rear footrests that have rubber on their upper surface (see 98+ Foot Peg Fiche File [RonAyers] )...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a 2001 Kat. I do have the rubber on the peg, but its not enough, still get a bad buzz through the feet. I don't experience this on the front pegs.

Comment

Have you sync your carbs lately? Sometimes that's the cause of the buzz. Also a bad adjusted chain.
                          Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris07
                            I have a 2001 Kat. I do have the rubber on the peg, but its not enough, still get a bad buzz through the feet. I don't experience this on the front pegs.
                            Originally posted by Spedee
                            Have you sync your carbs lately? Sometimes that's the cause of the buzz. Also a bad adjusted chain.
                            +1. I'd look into where the vibration is coming from in the first place.
                            Adjust the valves (if it's due), definitely sync the carbs, check the exhaust hanger at the rear footpeg (is the exhaust vibrating?), etc.

I'd probably disassemble the hinge pin too just to clean & check it out (caution: surround with a plastic bag to catch the spring & ball-bearing when you pull the pin out & pull the footpeg out, so those two tiny parts don't go awry). Clean thoroughly (WD40 is fine), then slather in automotive grease and reassemble.
                            You may come to find the spring and/or ball-bearing and/or plate the bearing rides on is missing, which would account for a lot of excess vibration on the rear pegs (easy to tell without disassembly -- if you can't lock them in the raised position, or they fall back down on their own, at least one of the three pieces of the puzzle are missing).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X