X

Moving up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving up

Alright fellas, my project kat is starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Once I finish with the swingarm swap that build will be done as far as major mods go. Still have little things to do but I really just want to ride and enjoy the fruits of my labor for now.

However in order to be able to do that I know I need to find another project bike. Otherwise I'll just keep modding my Kat. Whatever bike I do get will be a project, something that needs work ( wrecked, non running ). That way I can keep cost down. Squid season is about to start and that means wrecked bikes. I want to get a more powerful machine but also dont want to over do it ( no Busa's or the like).i Really want a Ninja

My question is will a 600cc fuel injected sport bike ( Like a 03 zx6r ) be a big difference from my 92 Kat 750?

What about an 01 zx7r? Carbed with almost the same numbers for TQ and weight, just 22hp more?

92 Kat 750 = 1960's Cadillac. Big, heavy, underpowered and handle like a boat.

03 ZX6R = Formula Racecar.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
      ...I want to get a more powerful machine but also dont want to over do it ( no Busa's or the like).

sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
        HaHa, apparently you Sir, are overdoing it!
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

I woild love a busa. Ok- the power would be nice, but I actually like the ooks a lot. Position is good too. Plus, I'm not small ( 6'1" 220ish) so the size is nice.
          A fool can't act wise, but the wise can act a fool.

Comment

Like I said, no Busa's or the like. You may be happy with your choice and thats great, but I personally have no use for a bike like that.

Comment

A fuel injected ZX6R is a whole different animal. I like the comparison by 05RedKat. Pretty close. Not that a Kat is a bad bike. But it is what it is. A "sport touring" bike that Suzuki built on a budget. The ZX6R is a "super sport" repli-racer. Lighter, more power, ton better modern suspension and no carbs. I love my RC51. I moved up from a CBR600F1 Hurricane to it. The fueling from the FI is spot on. Especially with the PCIII USB. All the time. No clogged jets to clean or tuning required. Plug in the laptop and change the fuel map if any intake/exhaust mods are done. I think you will be extremely happy. Another option, if you don't want a 1000, is the GSXR750. Near 1000 power at the size/weight/nimbleness of a 600. Good luck.
              2000 Honda RVT1000R RC51
              2000 Suzuki DRZ400S
              1987 Honda CBR600F1, 1985 Kawasaki ZN700A2
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F Katana (project)
              1996 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (wife's)

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                HaHa, apparently you Sir, are overdoing it!
                LOL. Maybe so
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

So you have a Katana 750, and are wanting buy a first gen 636 like mine?

Prepare to learn how to ride a motorcycle all over again. Seriously.

The 7R is a decent step up from a Katana, the 636 just...well...it kindof ****s on the Katana pretty hard from a performance standpoint...

Do it do it do it do it do it.

With my old exhaust, seat cowl unpainted, and a camera phone...

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Need a project bike? Go find an AMF Harley. You'll never stop working on the thing!
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

LOL, dont want that Wild-Bill.

Thank you Scotty, thats the kind of input I was hunting for. I have a line on an 01 zx7 for $900 OBO Its a running bike that just needs cosmetics.

I used to have a line on an 03 636 for $1600 that needed plastics and a few other small details. But sadly that one is gone now and the cheapest I can find is $3300

I think I might just pass on the zx7 and wait for the right deal on a 636.

Comment

$900 for a running '01 ZX7 is a pretty good deal, depending on the condition of the suspension and other structure/mechanical bits. I assume you will go a similar route as the Kat, so the cosmetics are not an issue. Those bikes are still quite a step from the Kat. They are still a fairly heavy sportbike, but a true sportbike none the less. I have a friend who had one that was around the same year, '02 I believe. He moved up to a 2006 ZX10R. While the 10 is a beast (171 rwhp), fuel injected, and lighter, he still misses the 7. A 636 is still a heck of an upgrade from a Kat. Either way, smiles will be permanent.
                        2000 Honda RVT1000R RC51
                        2000 Suzuki DRZ400S

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Need a project bike? Go find an AMF Harley. You'll never stop working on the thing!
                          This is true.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

If I got a 636 then no I wouldnt take it as far as I have the Kat. That bike is pretty nice right out of the gate. Maybe a couple performance upgrades, angle eye projectors, that kind of stuff. Its actually the only SS that I like to looks of the way it is.

Now the zx7 would most likely be the opposite. SSSA, USD's, 1 off tail, black on black paint, and so on.

Its either those options or I'm just gonna pick up an old GS frame and go crazy with it. Modernizing it with a newer suspension and Bandit power plant. Simply put I want more power to play.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post

Now the zx7 would most likely be the opposite. SSSA, USD's, 1 off tail, black on black paint, and so on.
                              With the ZX7, that part is already taken care of. You were talking about upside down forks, right?
                              2000 Honda RVT1000R RC51
                              2000 Suzuki DRZ400S

Comment

Working...
                              X