X

zzr1200

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zzr1200

So, one popped up in the classifieds for under 2k today. It has some fairing damage and was totaled by an insurance company, where I assume the current seller picked it up from. Its in town and im relatively certain I could get it for a great price. Looking at what they go for im feeling good about having a look at it tomorrow but I wanted to know what you guys thought. Specs wise, it is a god damn rocket ship thats slightly heavier than the kat and about the same seat height but with more power.

Anybody here ever had\ridden one? Its the 2003 model.

Pm Zuma...

I believe he's on one now...

More power than the Kat is a gross understatement...

Those things are a whole lot of bike... Hope you know what your getting yourself into...
    Last edited by allblackkat; 10-28-2010, 02:28 AM.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I can't say enough good about mine...03...I have no interest in getting any other bike besides a 14 or a busa if I finally wear it out...but would prefer another one just like it. It's a whole different dimension...unbelievable speed and power, and also just nice for riding around on.

Free Coffee has an 04...I think he digs it too.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Does it feel like a boat? How does it compare, feel wise, to the kat?

Comment

To me it has felt no heavier really, possibly due to the torque and power. It's as managable as a Kat (I've owned two 06s...a 600 and a 750) and a tad more stable. On the open road it is a blast.

The relentless power is something to behold. Take the tach up above 6,000 and it wails and becomes a precise monster. I've had mine for over a year (first time I've owned a sport bike for more than 8 months or so without selling or trading it in for a different sport bike) and I plan to keep it as long as it goes. I test rode a used 09 Hayabusa last year and didn't find any more pep or kick with it; the riding position wasn't as easy either.

I'm still crazy about my ZZR1200. I read recently in a magazine (Cycle World?) that any ZZR1200 (01-05 I believe) would be an excellent investment due to power, speed, and quality in general. If the one you are looking at has been in a bad scrape though, have it checked thoroughly before you take the plunge for two reasons.

1. The forks could be out of line, etc.
          2. You will be tempted to let the thing sing out, and that's no place to
          take a bike with a spotty history

So check it out carefully. The temptation to run it fast will be strong. Make sure it's tuned for it, and be judicial at all times. If it's sound, you're in for a fantastic time.
          Last edited by zuma; 10-28-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: joo joo bunnies lurking

Comment

It's not a-lot heavier than the Kat- by no means are they small though. It's not really worth comparing to the Kat though because they're in no way similar. In terms of "streetability" I have had no problem tearing up the hills and twisties of PA with a pair of R1's and a GSX1kR. Neither of the aforementioned can run away from her. That being said- there's a learning curve after which I think you'll be VERY satisfied. My advice (your riding style depending) would be to invest in some sticky tires (I like Power Pures) and be ready to buy a new set every 5/6K.

And hold on for dear life...

EDIT- speaking to the crash history: check the stop tabs on the triple tree for damage. An easy tell is to turn the clipons to full lock. If they're contacting the tank then it's been down hard enough to bend the aluminum. Like the Kat- most things (like that) are easy enough fixes. There's a guy in Canada who builds T-Rexs with them and ALWAYS has brand new parts on the cheap. If you take the plunge I'll get you his contact info. Also- Silver is the fastest color.
            Last edited by Free Coffee; 10-28-2010, 11:35 AM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
            -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

"And hold on for dear life..."

That's for sure, and you're right, Brett, black is the fastest color.
              Last edited by zuma; 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Both Shades of Grey...

>=o)

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                  Both Shades of Grey...

>=o)
                  For sure, dude. For sure!

Comment

It's not a-lot heavier than the Kat- by no means are they small though. It's not really worth comparing to the Kat though because they're in no way similar. In terms of "streetability" I have had no problem tearing up the hills and twisties of PA with a pair of R1's and a GSX1kR. .
                    I think the there are similarities- both bikes have similar sized motors (kat 1127cc to whatever the ZZR 1200 has) both have tubular steel frames (I think) and both can tour. Oh, wait, you guys are probably comparing those itty bitty 600/750cc kitten bikes to the ZZR1200
                    A warmed (pipe, jet kit)over kat1100 is probably good for a 10.5 1/4 mile, a stock zzr1200 is good for around 10.3 1/4 mile. Don't know, never driven a ZZr1200. What I do remember is that its ancester, the zx11 was similar to the Kat, maybe slightly faster 0-80, then there it felt faster (maybe the ramair was helping?).
                    It is hard for me to embrace a zzr when, for $9k, you can get a brand new leftover '09 C14 with electric windshield , hard bags, shaft drive, abs and is only maybe a 1/4 second slower.

Comment

DC- I get the vibe that the "2k" pricetag was his initial attraction. You'd have a hard time finding a reasonably minded person selling a 2005 ZZR with low miles and in pristine shape for any more than 5.5k.

One thing the ZZR has going for it is liquid cooling, which was nice this summer sitting in traffic on the way home from D.C. with Jax and Scout.

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

DC- I get the vibe that the "2k" pricetag was his initial attraction. You'd have a hard time finding a reasonably minded person selling a 2005 ZZR with low miles and in pristine shape for any more than 5.5k.
                        A wrecked bike can cost more in the long run than a non wrecked bike. For a bike to be totalled, the insurance company believes that the cost of repair is 90% or more of its value, bike could have a lot of wrong in it.

Comment

Went and had a look at it today.

Needs : Clutch lever, left side passenger peg, theres a scratch in the tank that doesnt bother me. Needs front right fairings either reseated with new inner plastic, or the whole fairings themselves. Theres a crack in the back fairing that doesnt bother me but it needs new taillight lenses. Windshield necessary aswell as the previous one was left in the dirt.

It fired right up and ran fairly well. One thng that threw me off was the throttle. When I yoinked it back it stuck for a second and slowly rolled back. Upon further inspection, the throttle cable was in there kind of wonky and seemed to need replaced. The bike had a set of corbin saddlebags on it with some scratches that could be repaired. Im thinking these things were expensive as hell when purchased and I could sell them off for some repair money.

Now the bad. It looks like the rear end is about half inch to the left from where it should be. I understand that this frame is steel and it could be moved back. In detail, how big of a problem is this? Ill put some pictures up in a second to see what you guys think.

Comment

pics.

Btw. the bags were 1699$ from corbin... I noticed that they said corbin underneath the lids but opted not to say anything to the seller...He wants 1800 for the entire bike or best offer. Theyre damaged but look salvagable.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ouch...

I say no go. You'd be better off saving the scratch and adding another 1200 to it for one that's in far better shape. Even if you sold off the seat and Beetle Bags you're looking at maaaybe $400, probably less. Wish I could be more encouraging, but if you buy her you're most likely in for a troubled restoration.

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Working...
                              X