Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

everyone who wants to stretch their kat... i acutally found a bolt on kit!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
    sweet bro... def keep us updated... i've been talkin to the dude through ebay, and he seems to know his stuff... keep us posted!
    i sent him an email. its 10 here so i didnt want to call him, figure i prolly will tomaro. i know its kinda unfair but im tryin to get a discount out of the deal lol..... not useing yall or anything ... but i figure i would try.
    sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Originally posted by nealy212 View Post
      i sent him an email. its 10 here so i didnt want to call him, figure i prolly will tomaro. i know its kinda unfair but im tryin to get a discount out of the deal lol..... not useing yall or anything ... but i figure i would try.
      screw it bro... see if you can get a group discount! i'm sure we could find a few guys on here who wouldnt mind goin in on it

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
      "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I want to stretch the FRONT . So now what?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kat96 View Post
          thats called rake... what now

"for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads

Comment

Hit a wall and then turn the forks 180, now you have a stretched front end.

Tmod

Comment

screw it bro... see if you can get a group discount! i'm sure we could find a few guys on here who wouldnt mind goin in on it
              you know what? thats the best idea ive heard all day.. thanks for finding this guy too.. if all else fails i will call him in the morning and see what we cant figure out.. but who all is down.. need to have a good number to hit him with.
              www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Yeah I understand rake, trail, etc. Anyone considered this or seen it before? I mean on a Kat?
                sigpic

Comment

you know what? thats the best idea ive heard all day.. thanks for finding this guy too.. if all else fails i will call him in the morning and see what we cant figure out.. but who all is down.. need to have a good number to hit him with.
                  i'm in... but it might be a few weeks for me to free up the mula... and once you talk to the guy and make sure everything is good... i'll post a thread in the group buy section

Yeah I understand rake, trail, etc. Anyone considered this or seen it before? I mean on a Kat?
                  i saw it done once on an old gs (the kats grandfather)... but the guy had pretty much turned the bike into a cruiser
                  Last edited by airforceranger49; 02-15-2010, 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

my build threads

Comment

i'm in... but it might be a few weeks for me to free up the mula... and once you talk to the guy and make sure everything is good... i'll post a thread in the group buy section
                    sounds good to me bc it will be a month or two before i can do it either. im in the process of doin alot of things to the bike this week. so i gotta let the misses calm down over all the money we just spent on it haha
                    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      Hit a wall and then turn the forks 180, now you have a stretched front end.

Tmod

I suggest using somebody else's wall. that way you don't have to re-stucco!

Comment

It seems like a simple solution to a previously complicated process but I don't think I would be investing in one.

If I am assuming correctly:

1 -- The billet piece is fitted inside the stock swing arm; the outer dimension of the billet piece fits snugly to the inside dimensions of the stock swing arm.

2 -- Billet piece then steps up in outer dimension to approximately match the outer dimensions of the stock swing arm in width and height.

3 -- The two (2) carriage bolts on each side are there simply as insurance to keep the billet from sliding out.

It seems to me that sooner or later the billet pieces will wear out the contact edge of the stock swing arm...the open end of the stock swing arm will eventually widen and wear out due to the fatigue of cyclic loading during normal operation.

Most mechanical failures are not catastrophic, where one piece gets overloaded by force and fails in a metal ripping, tearing action. It fatigues due to cyclic loads, tolerances loosen up, cracks form in areas of high stress and the condition exacerbates.

I used to draft / design for this guy who designed recumbent bicycles in the town where I went to college. The number one reason for failure was not material selection or exceeding the compression / tension strength of the material, but simple fatigue. The amount of stress exerted on a long structural shape of aluminum (which he used as his frame) when a 150 lb guy pedaling up a hill is ridiculously insignificant compared to the force that the back tire on a motorcycle will exert the swing arm...the weak area being a piece of billet aluminum fitting inside another piece of steel.

Has any fatigue testing been done on this piece? Not simply "...strapped it on my bike for two seasons..." but "...had it in a cyclic loading torsional tester; exerting enough force to accelerate 600 lbs to 60 MPH in 4.5 seconds every 10 minutes for 24 hours a day for 3 years...testing it until it fatigues and catastrophically fails..." After seeing that and noting the condition of the sleeve fit on the end of the stock swing arm, then I would feel comfortable buying something like that.
                        Last edited by spatula6554; 02-15-2010, 11:31 PM.
                        In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

That looks sooo sketch, Plus theres no point in stretching like a 600. I never understood stretching bikes unless there drag only bikes or for hill climbing.
                          Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

well just talked to the guy on ebay... trying to find out if he could machine the adjusters to fit a 20mm axle, so i could throw a gsxr 5.5 rim on... but he said his machinest will only do the design he's already been given... so if anyone ends up buying one, and wants to throw a wider rim on it... u'll have to have a machine shop open the adjusters up 3mm

my build threads

Comment

well just talked to the guy on ebay... trying to find out if he could machine the adjusters to fit a 20mm axle, so i could throw a gsxr 5.5 rim on... but he said his machinest will only do the design he's already been given... so if anyone ends up buying one, and wants to throw a wider rim on it... u'll have to have a machine shop open the adjusters up 3mm
                              oh you can bet i will,, already got a good machinest friend haha!!! did you ask him anything about the group rate
                              www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

oh you can bet i will,, already got a good machinest friend haha!!! did you ask him anything about the group rate
                                naw bro... i asked the question like 8 hours ago... just got a response

my build threads

Comment

Working...
                                X