X

old gsxr steering damper on post kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old gsxr steering damper on post kat

so from what i have researched on the site pretty much everyone just says its a wast of money to put a damper on a kat. that aside i was looking at the factory dampers on gsxrs. the old gsxrs with the 41mm forks look like it might just fit. has anyone tried this yet? if it does work it would only cost 40 to 50 bucks for this setup and despite the fact that it might be a wast of money i still would like the extra stability in my front end. but of course thats just me. so anyone know if it would work or have tried it yet? thanks again

So far I can't remember anyone yet installing one.

From the posts I remember, the Kat does not need because of the natural stablity the Kat has from the front end steering geometry.

I have to ask, have you had a need for more stability from the front end? That being said, if you want to do it, by all means do so and give us a write up with pics showing how you did it.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Kats don't need steering dampers. The geometry of the front end just doesn't require it. If you set the front end down with the bars cocked a little bit, it will wiggle for a second, but it will settle itself down. If you have instability in your front end, I suggest you figure out why, instead of trying to bandaid it with a steering damper. Besides, consider how steering dampers work...... they put resistance on quick movements of the bars. I'd prefer my quick movements to be as light as possible, especially since the kat isn't exactly lithe.

The only exception I can think of, is if you had the back end WAY jacked up in the air, it might get twitchy enough to need a damper. If you're at stock height, or just a little higher, there is absolutely no need for one.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Kats don't need steering dampers. The geometry of the front end just doesn't require it. If you set the front end down with the bars cocked a little bit, it will wiggle for a second, but it will settle itself down. If you have instability in your front end, I suggest you figure out why, instead of trying to bandaid it with a steering damper. Besides, consider how steering dampers work...... they put resistance on quick movements of the bars. I'd prefer my quick movements to be as light as possible, especially since the kat isn't exactly lithe.

The only exception I can think of, is if you had the back end WAY jacked up in the air, it might get twitchy enough to need a damper. If you're at stock height, or just a little higher, there is absolutely no need for one.
        All of this. It's pretty silly. I guess the bling factor is there, but anyone who knows about bikes will see it. I'm guessing it's the older style damper?

Steering dampers don't just "add stability" like a points system. The same as coilovers on an 89 Civic don't "add traction/stability"

A steering damper is put on a high power, low weight racebike to ensure that over rough pavement or handling quick high power forces the bike's aggressive geometry won't get upset. The Katana is none of these things, and if you need more stability there are two options:

1.) Something's wrong with your bike or
        2.) You're riding it wrong.
        Last edited by scottynoface; 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Its hardly silly Scotty, My opening post was asking the same question. I had a serious issue when the front end was comming down from a wheelie on a down grade and the bars went into a major tank slap. Yes my front end is lowered and It does make for a lil sharper steering geometry. Since that instance I've avoided such manuvers in those circumstances till I have found something to help avoid it. But Id love to know what you come out with if in fact you do figgure out the answer.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

You lowered the front end, changing the geometry, therefore you don't have a stock Katana. Unless you do something to sharpen it up, it doesn't need it. It still doesn't need it, my 636 is supposedly a shake-prone bike and I only get some wobble through certain spots. Lean over going over a bump at anything more than half throttle and you'll get some fun shakes

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              You lowered the front end, changing the geometry, therefore you don't have a stock Katana. Unless you do something to sharpen it up, it doesn't need it. It still doesn't need it, my 636 is supposedly a shake-prone bike and I only get some wobble through certain spots. Lean over going over a bump at anything more than half throttle and you'll get some fun shakes
              That is because you ride a buckboard.

Tmod

Originally posted by Miyagi View Post
              so from what i have researched on the site pretty much everyone just says its a wast of money to put a damper on a kat. that aside i was looking at the factory dampers on gsxrs. the old gsxrs with the 41mm forks look like it might just fit. has anyone tried this yet? if it does work it would only cost 40 to 50 bucks for this setup and despite the fact that it might be a wast of money i still would like the extra stability in my front end. but of course thats just me. so anyone know if it would work or have tried it yet? thanks again
              I am siding with the others that posted if you really need one there is something wrong with the suspension setup.

Tmod
              Last edited by Tmod; 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                That is because you ride a buckboard.
                Yeah, but she's MY buckboard

Comfortable as a gym bleacher.

Comment

Poster: Hi, I know your going to say it's a waste of money, but have you...

Reply: It's a waste of money....

Another Reply: Why waste your money...

Reply: No really, it's a waste of money...

Another Reply: In this special circumstance, I can see where....

Reply: I discount your example, it's a waste of money...

Another reply: I agree... it's a waste of money...

Krey <---- Getting a big kick out of the replies....
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Yeah, but she's MY buckboard

Comfortable as a gym bleacher.
                    That can easily be fixed though, The one I did for that 125 ib rider loves the ride now.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Getting a big kick out of the replies....
                      That's why I was trying to keep mine mild.

I could have gone all Arsenic on him by going mid-evil on his buttocks calling him (or her) a dumbass for even considering such a stupid idea.

Waasaa (we don't have a kung-fu smilie.)
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

i have seen the older gixxer dampners on H-2s and other bikes they have a great look ...must fit alot of bikes

Comment

ok well this entire thread has gone exactly where every thread that i have seen on steering dampers on a kat went. no im not having any problems with my steering, no im not doing it for looks (i dont even have any friends that have bikes) its an idea and since it appears that nobody has done it then who can say how it will work out, for all you know it will make the bike ride better who knows. i like this site and alot of the people on here but it sometime just seems like a never ending put you down when it comes to these replys cant we stay more positive? im asking if anyone has done it. it seems nobody has. this could be a really cheap mod so why not try.so here is what i have found as far as research. the 41mm gsxr mount for the forks should work fine and i found this pic of something someone made for the SV which looks alot like what could be used to adapt it to a kat.

this is a cheap setup someone made with spare metal he had at work:

and this is a much better and much harder adapter to make:

so this seems to be pretty easy. i might try the cheap setup first just to see how i like it and if it works out well i might get something more like this ^

as far as further comments please if you dont agree with what im doing and you think im wasting my money ok I understand but its my money and time to wast so lets please try to keep these comments more on the topic of trying this. thanks again
                          Last edited by Miyagi; 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Honestly........ WTF did you expect?!

It's pretty obvious HOW to make it work, so what exactly were you looking for here?

And....ehh..... if you are not having problems with your steering, and you're not doing it for looks, then just why ARE you doing it?
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

WOW WTF!!!!!! This is a forum that was intended to assist and embrace the KAT community. HOW DARE YOU bust balls for someone tryin to improve on the situation that there in. I know That if a dampner would help in the least little bit that I would be one of the first to add it on my bike. You guys crack me up. Miyagi.... Try it out bro, Dont listen to these flamers. They obviously have gone on anothers word that has never EVER even tried this. So how the F**K would they know wether it would be a good or a bad idea! I applaud you for the effort and attempt in this idea. These dampners were created for a reason (headshake) while their bikes may not require it some other bikes just may. So voice your opinion, but for gawd sakes dont be azzhats about it! Let the guy do the deed and report. If it works All you KAT riders will be flooding Fleabay for them. If it dont then you can chuckle inside and say "I told you so!" either way I feel your being extremely rude in you responses!!!
                              Last edited by JokerZwild; 11-24-2009, 06:35 PM.
                              Joker
                              The newest addition to the Family!
                              sigpic
                              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                              X