X

Why diss the Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why diss the Katana?

I just finished the MSF course and got my M1 endorsement. My daily commute takes me 22 miles from my home in the Santa Cruz mountains through the Silicon Valley freeways to my office in Mountain View. I also intend to do a few track days beginning next summer because I know fro my car experience how much I can learn there. (Going faster on the track isn't my priority, learning better riding skills for my commute is my priority.)

A neighbor has a very very clean 1996 Katana GSX750F with 7900 miles and plates that expired in March 2003, and he's interested in selling. It sounds as if we'll be able to agree on a price between $2-2.5K. I'll need to change the oil&filter, bleed the brakes, and mount new tires - basic maintenance stuff. Its only drawback is the dark blue-green color, but the yellow stickers go OK with my yellow textile jacket.

I've been lurking on Northern California forums. Why do other riders diss the Katana? I see pejorative comments like "I'd rather be riding a pink Katana" or "that's one fugly bike". What's wrong with Katanas? I know it's not an awe-inspiring literbike or the sexiest Duc, but that's not what I need for my current level of skills nor for my intended uses. Is there any reason I should avoid this neighbor's bike and keep shopping?

(Other types I'm considering in my under-$4K price range are Honda 90-97 VFR750F, BMW K75C or K75S, Suzuki 99-02 SV650S.)

Thanks for any insight!

Because they are jealous.
    TiM

Comment

Welcome to KR

Everybody disses the Katana because it doesn't take podiums. A topic that's been discussed quite a bit here.

If you plan on doing a few track days, and might be into that type riding more than long commutes, and long weekend rides. I'd actually suggest the sv650 instead of the kat. Simple fact is that the Sv is basically a better platform for more spirited riding (track days) out of the box than the katana.

Comment

My guess is that they have never riden one, and have no clue about what the Kat realy is or how well it can proform. As far as how they look I love the looks of them, The 98+ and the pre98's..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I use to have a ZX10 a couple years ago, loved the bike to be honest. I wouldn't mind getting a new ZX12R. However, I've found that my Kat is comfortable and performs good enough for what I do (i.e. joy rides, and go to work). I'm not out to win any trophies or be the baddest dude on two wheels ... just wanna have fun and the Kat's ideal for that.
          Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Out of all those guys that have negative things to say,I wonder how many of them actually know the long history behind the katana?Probably none.
            97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

For those speculating why they say that, here are the comments on the regional (sportbike focused) forum: BARF

Comment

Originally posted by katana_j
                I wonder how many of them actually know the long history behind the katana?
                The Long and Proud History of Katana Ownership

Just kidding fellas ..
                TiM

Comment

Ive had my 1993 Kat for 12 years now. Ive ridden an r6,zx6, a Duc996.TL 1000,you get the picture.great bikes yes but my Kat keeps up with all of them and in real life you really dont notice a difference.The Kat is a hell of alot more comfortable than all of them and handles great. Ignore the bashing,I just say when your r,zx,whateever has 30000miles on the clock and looks like it just came out of the box we willtalk.
                  Kats get more respect from their owners,it seems the squid mentallitys bikes are throw aways.

Comment

Not a bad thread on the other forum, mostly honest replies to your question.

I do wonder about the guy that had to take his mirror's off to change his oil and filter though lol.
                    Kyle

Comment

bobs
                      Since no-one gave you $0.02
                      on your purchase..
                      2-2.5K for a 96 seem good to me.
                      Esp. in a long season state like California..
                      However, if you are planning to enjoy the track and the
                      twisties.. and you can get an SV650 under 4K
                      by all means go for it.. We will still talk to you!

However I think the Kat is a real bargain…
                      You can spend the other $1500-$2000 a lot of ways!!

About the dissing?
                      Who cares.. I don’t…

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                        Not a bad thread on the other forum, mostly honest replies to your question.

I do wonder about the guy that had to take his mirror's off to change his oil and filter though lol.
                        I was thinking the exact same thing. Either he had aftermarket headers and had to remove them to get to the oil filter (thus having to remove the bodywork) or he was a complete idiot. that still doesn't explain it though, because you can get the headers off with out having to remove the upper fairings (and consequently mirrors)

Comment

Ummm...I drive a pink Katana....
                          '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
                          PurpleonBlack

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Since no-one gave you $0.02
                            on your purchase..

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                            If you plan on doing a few track days, and might be into that type riding more than long commutes, and long weekend rides. I'd actually suggest the sv650 instead of the kat. Simple fact is that the Sv is basically a better platform for more spirited riding (track days) out of the box than the katana.
                            Or does that not count as $0.02 because of the exchange rate

Comment

Sorry Dan....

Comment

Working...
                              X