X

choke question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke question

how long do you guys normally choke your girlfriend, i mean how long do you guys normally run the bike with the choke on? a couple of minutes or until you have ridden for awhile, or some other length of time??

The manual says 30 seconds. That is exactly what I do, however I let it idle for about 5 min (with the choke off) before I ride it.

Comment

Yeah I try to only choke it for a little while..
      Then rev by hand or at least drop the choke to under 25%

Comment

I have a ghetto pull choke haha i need to get a new cable fer now
        R.I.P. Jason you will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by RydeBye
          I have a ghetto pull choke haha i need to get a new cable fer now
          I used to have one of those...
          Kind of forces you to let off the choke..

Comment

Nah , just wrap a wire ite around the choke rail , than you can pull it like that . Works great . I did it for about a year . Then if you NEED to , you can hook a bungee cord through it and tie it off .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Choke it for about 30 seconds at the most, or until you start to see the bike running at a more normal pace without fluxuating as it does when u first start it up from being cold..

Dont leave the choke on any longer than u have too..and certainly dont ride while the choke is on. Excessive warm up time can lead to fouled plugs and gunked up carbs so just be careful.

Comment

It depends, will you need her to make a sandwhich for you when you are done?
                TiM

Comment

Not that I'm an expert, but I use mine for start up and just as soon as it's reached max idle RPM, I cut it off, let the bike idle while I don my gear. So far it hasn't blown up so I'm guessing I've not screwed up... yet.
                  "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Comment

I am also one of those no cable people.I put a wrap around the clutch then choke until it idles up about 30 to 45 sec the let off and warm for a few min while I get my gear on.
                    1998 Katana green Wileyco pipe,K&N filter,Pilot powers.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                      Choke it for about 30 seconds at the most, or until you start to see the bike running at a more normal pace without fluxuating as it does when u first start it up from being cold..

Dont leave the choke on any longer than u have too..and certainly dont ride while the choke is on. Excessive warm up time can lead to fouled plugs and gunked up carbs so just be careful.
                      +1

Your target RPM here is 2k RPM -- use whatever amount of choke is necessary to hit that RPM level, and throttle back the choke to keep it from rising higher (you want the oil to move around, but you don't want to sear the rings without sufficient oil). 30 seconds later, choke off, use the throttle control if necessary.
                      If it's below freezing, you may need to choke it a bit longer to keep it running... but it's important that if you do, afterwards you let the engine come all the way up to full operating temp so the plugs will burn off the excess fouling.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Im with cyber on this as usual. I give my bike some choke just enough to keep it between 1500 and 2000 rpm till it wants to run on its own.
                        Ride On,
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Nah , just wrap a wire ite around the choke rail , than you can pull it like that . Works great . I did it for about a year . Then if you NEED to , you can hook a bungee cord through it and tie it off .
                          I did that on my last bike!!!
                          Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

the choke in essecense is to help the bike get started???

I always fire it up with the choke and soon as it stablizes I kill it and use the throttle. The previous owner use to leave the choke on for a few minutes before he killed it. The seems to be running better now.... THOUGHTS
                            <---Whatever or Whoever u do RIDE it hard--->

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMage
                              the choke in essecense is to help the bike get started???
                              Depends a lot on the weather and how well the bike is tuned. In warm weather, I don't need no stinking choke... drop the temps down in the upper 40's or below, and she wants it to keep running at the very beginning.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X